• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumped - Supreme Court Edition

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Is he qualified or not?

That ship has long since sailed

In this specific case...don't know. He was confirmed to his previous position so he would appear to have basic qualifications. Will be interesting to find out more about him.

1 minute ago, red321 said:

That ship has long since sailed

In this specific case...don't know. He was confirmed to his previous position so he would appear to have basic qualifications. Will be interesting to find out more about him.

So are you now ok with holding back nominations?

18 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Our generation will be lucky if the mean retirement age is less than 75.

met with a guy about getting life insurance yesterday. i'm realistically looking at working another ten years and then hanging 'em up. with my daughter starting college in the fall, the amount of life insurance i'll be able to afford is not going to make much of a significant difference for my family, but i'm hoping it's better than nothing.

when my FIL passed away in november, his widow received ~$2k in benefits. that was a pretty good motivator for me. going to meet with someone in the next couple of weeks about setting up a will/trust (thanks @yk9001 for the advice).

34 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

So are you now ok with holding back nominations?

You know what...I'm not 100% sure right now to be honest. Here is what I know...the Republicans stole this Supreme Court nomination by pulling a bullshit "rule" out of their ass...telling the 65 million plus who voted for Obama that he wasn't allowed to do the job we voted for him to do with over a year left in his term. They told us all to go fuck ourselves. They took a solid nominee who was fairly moderate all things considering, and older on top of that...so you weren't talking about 30 years on the bench...more like 10...and didn't even give him the courtesy of holding hearings. Never even pretended to do their job.

And now, they expect everyone to forget it all happened so someone who lost the popular vote by close to 3 million votes can nominate a far right reactionary to a 30 year seat on the bench.

So...it's probably going to take folks time to get over it...even if Democrats are expected to be the ones who act like grownups. 

fwiw, i've always expected all members of congress to act like grownups. sadly, i no longer have that expectation. the amount of "we're going to take our ball and go home!" politics is childish and pathetic. it's also why they have no problem unanimously creating national bagel day but can't come to any kind of reasonable bipartisan agreement on reforming immigration. they all suck.

11 minutes ago, red321 said:

You know what...I'm not 100% sure right now to be honest. Here is what I know...the Republicans stole this Supreme Court nomination by pulling a bullshit "rule" out of their ass...telling the 65 million plus who voted for Obama that he wasn't allowed to do the job we voted for him to do with over a year left in his term. 

They should have been punished at the polls. Oops.

I think it's a valid concern. It's just not one that is going to change many votes. Either:

1.  The voter is partisan left or right and either they believe their side is just or their side's view on the issues er.. trumps their tone concern.
2.  The voter is a swing voter and believe "both sides do it" and either stay home and/or don't use it to decide their vote.

56 minutes ago, red321 said:

You know what...I'm not 100% sure right now to be honest. Here is what I know...the Republicans stole this Supreme Court nomination by pulling a bullshit "rule" out of their ass...telling the 65 million plus who voted for Obama that he wasn't allowed to do the job we voted for him to do with over a year left in his term. They told us all to go fuck ourselves. They took a solid nominee who was fairly moderate all things considering, and older on top of that...so you weren't talking about 30 years on the bench...more like 10...and didn't even give him the courtesy of holding hearings. Never even pretended to do their job.

And now, they expect everyone to forget it all happened so someone who lost the popular vote by close to 3 million votes can nominate a far right reactionary to a 30 year seat on the bench.

So...it's probably going to take folks time to get over it...even if Democrats are expected to be the ones who act like grownups. 

This is undeniable. The republicans were total fucktwats

And to expand...I also think the "both sides do it" crowd has some culpability here as well. If you simply declare everything is equal, when at times they are not...you are part of the problem.

Let's use this SC nomination as an example.

Republicans steal a Supreme Court nomination by notating some arcane statement from Biden that had nothing to do with the scenario at hand, pushing the partisan battle to the extreme. Ah...well, both sides do it. Voters do not punish them for it. There were no repercussions for them.

2 hours ago, red321 said:

To me it's similar to folks who talk about how people are in public office too long...we should have term limits...and yet the re-election rate for incumbents is something like 90+%.

We have a serious disconnect on what people say they want, and how they actually vote.

very true. it's why i rarely, if ever, vote for an incumbent.

the politicians do the same thing every time they say how much they want to "reach across the aisle" and build bipartisan support. well, sure, if by bipartisan you mean the evil bastards on that side come over to my point of view.