• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would Greg Holland Consider Signing With the Angels...

if he isn't the guaranteed closer?  Since it is supposed to be an open competition this spring, could he beat out Bedrosian, Street, and Bailey for the closer spot?  Would he sign for an incentive laden deal 1-2 year deal?  Seems like any team would be happy to have him even though he has lost some of his velocity during his workout.  Did the Angels have enough interest to send anyone to his workout?

I can't imagine him being interested in facing that much competition if he wants closer money next contract. He's better off going to a team with a clear cut path for him to close, or setting up on a competitive team and logging his appearances under some pressure. 

Much like with Ross, given our limitations, I think I'd opt to use that money for someone I know can be on the mound rather than take a risk on their upside. Sure, they'd be nice, and if we were in clearer to position to take the division I would be all over it, but those gambles aren't likely to help us very much. 

I guess the real question is, can he be effective at 88 mph? Taking velocity as the end argument is throwing a lot of pitchers on the trash heap that may have the experience to work at that level.

6 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

The dude threw 88 MPH fastballs during his showcase in November, which is 8 MPH below his peak. I can't imagine he is spoiled for choice at the moment, nor can I imagine why we would be particularly interested if he can't throw hard anymore.

37 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I guess the real question is, can he be effective at 88 mph? Taking velocity as the end argument is throwing a lot of pitchers on the trash heap that may have the experience to work at that level.

How many relievers have been effective after losing 6-8 MPH on their fastball?

1 hour ago, Oz27 said:

The dude threw 88 MPH fastballs during his showcase in November, which is 8 MPH below his peak. I can't imagine he is spoiled for choice at the moment, nor can I imagine why we would be particularly interested if he can't throw hard anymore.

To be fair, he's still in the process of rehabbing. Not even a year removed at that showcase. Teams will take a wait and see approach. He'll probably have another showcase later this month or start of February. If his velocity creeps back into the nineties, he'll get signed. If not, he'll probably sit out through the all-star break and come back when the velo is back.

Theres little doubt he'll hegain most of the mid-90's heater he had. It's just a matter of when. 

Also, the first year back is usually tough on TJ patients. There's a lot of rust to shake off and feel to gain back. I'd be hesitant to sign him mostly because he probably won't be back to form until 2018.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

To be fair, he's still in the process of rehabbing. Not even a year removed at that showcase. Teams will take a wait and see approach. He'll probably have another showcase later this month or start of February. If his velocity creeps back into the nineties, he'll get signed. If not, he'll probably sit out through the all-star break and come back when the velo is back.

Theres little doubt he'll hegain most of the mid-90's heater he had. It's just a matter of when. 

That's a big assumption and I don't really think history backs it up. It is possible he threw a showcase too early and that was the reason for the extremely underwhelming results. But dismissing the results out of hand and just stating that he'll regain his velocity seems misguided. Put it this way, if teams believed that were true I imagine he would have been snapped up long ago for much more money than he is going to get.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, free agent reliever Greg Holland is seeking a two-year deal with an opt-out after the first year.
The structure would allow him to test free agency again if he has a big 2017 in his return from Tommy John surgery. It's unclear how many teams are open to such a deal, but Heyman writes that Holland is drawing interest from the Dodgers, Nationals, Rockies, Brewers, and Reds, among others. The Dodgers have a firmly established closer with Kenley Jansen, but Holland could see save chances in the other locations if he proves his health and effectiveness in the spring. He was reportedly clocked in the 88-91 mph range during a showcase in November, but the belief is that he'll be closer to normal as he rebuilds arm strength. Jan 11 
rotorworld.com

16 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:
According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, free agent reliever Greg Holland is seeking a two-year deal with an opt-out after the first year.
The structure would allow him to test free agency again if he has a big 2017 in his return from Tommy John surgery. It's unclear how many teams are open to such a deal, but Heyman writes that Holland is drawing interest from the Dodgers, Nationals, Rockies, Brewers, and Reds, among others. The Dodgers have a firmly established closer with Kenley Jansen, but Holland could see save chances in the other locations if he proves his health and effectiveness in the spring. He was reportedly clocked in the 88-91 mph range during a showcase in November, but the belief is that he'll be closer to normal as he rebuilds arm strength. Jan 11 
rotorworld.com

Sounds like a bad deal for the team. Why would anyone want to pay him to miss part of the year and get his training wheels taken off only to see him opt out once he's gotten some game time behind him?

Could be solid signing if the price is right.  Angels would be in good position with their pen if they are a contender.  If not, and he is doing well then they could sell him at the trade deadline for the exorbitant price teams seem willing to pay for high quality relievers.  Or he doesn't pan out and they don't have too much sunk into him and have other options for closer anyways.  And if he had the opt out and didn't perform the first year it would be possible as Scotty said that after shaking the rust off he would be much better in 2018.

It all comes down to the price.  Not sure what that price would be for me.  I'd have to look at what relief pitchers are getting paid.  2/8?

4 hours ago, Oz27 said:

We once signed Ryan Madson when he wasn't nearly ready

maybe it happens again

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'd imagine he jumps to a team with no closer in hopes of reestablishing himself as a guy who can get saves or a good team that will pay him a lot.  I don't think we fit either category.  

Bc we have a 9th inning guy that shuts the door right now 1,2,3...

bailey pitched what 10 innings? 

Street ..coming off surgery

bedorsian..another question mark

23 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I can't imagine any team biting on this. It only benefits the signing team if he sucks. If it is a sunken cost, he collects a check for one year and goes home to sit on the couch. If he has a good year, he says goodbye and cashes in.

38 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

"Source: Greg Holland's deal with the Rockies is one year, $7M guaranteed. Non-closing incentives take it to $10M. Could get $14M as closer."

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/statu...48771517681673

Solid move by the Rockies IMO.

That Desmond deal, wtf?

But if I'm Holland, why would I go to Colorado to rebuild my value? Surely, the Nationals or Giants or someone else would give me a more exposed opportunity?

My guess is this was the most money and the best opportunity to close.

Personally I think the Rockies are on the verge of trading Charlie Blackmon (or one of their outfielders, maybe Dahl or Gonzalez even), moving Desmond (who has more value as a CF or even infielder) to the outfield, and making a trade for a 1B or signing a platoon bat. The Angels could be a possible partner where Colorado sends pitching (McGee and/or possibly a pitching prospect like Rusin for instance) for C.J. Cron who looks more and more like a trade candidate. They could even trade someone like LeMahieu but that seems counter productive for them since he just won a Gold Glove.

Spending that much for Desmond to play 1B makes very little sense. He has greater value in a more defensively inclined position such as CF or 2B for instance which makes an incoming Rockies trade a lot more likely.