• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Final Angels Transactions Pre-Season

ettin

Spring Training will be here soon and the Angels seem to have one or more final moves left to strengthen the team prior to the start of the season. List your preferred or final moves you think Eppler will make to support the 2017 team. I'll start:

1) Sign LHP Brett Anderson to a 1-year $5M deal with an option year OR trade for LHP Wade Miley and move Jesse Chavez to the bullpen.

2) Sign Matt Wieters to a 3-year, $30M deal OR trade for Miguel Montero (and possibly one of the Cubs spare Minor League outfielders) and Perez spends the year in AAA (he has 1 option left) or is traded.

3) If the Angels do not acquire another starter, Chavez will be in the rotation and the Angels will sign RHR Anthony Swarzak on a 1+ year deal for approximately $3-4M per season.

I will go on record stating that the Angels will be in the A.L. West playoff hunt come July (I could easily burn for this one but it is how I feel). Our rotation and offense will be above average and our bullpen will surprise and be above average as well.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

We gotta sign at least one more decent arm. If we don't, I think it would validate the argument that the team is prioritizing profit over winning. 

I agree about our need, but I think the team is simply biding time till 2018 when Hambone comes off the books. It's not a pure profit play. Arte has plenty of money, personally, and the team is probably worth a billion. I think he wants a championship before he passes, but has been gun shy after several of his signings have backfired. He will be all-in again in 2018, I suspect.

We cant trade for Montero. We have nothing to trade, except guys we need on the 25 man roster. Or we have to bankrupt the farm again.

I'm not sure of what your definition of being "iin it" in July is. Less than 10 games out? I guess that could qualify, but it will be tough if there are three teams ahead of us (which I expect).

3 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I agree about our need, but I think the team is simply biding time till 2018 when Hambone comes off the books. It's not a pure profit play. Arte has plenty of money, personally, and the team is probably worth a billion. I think he wants a championship before he passes, but has been gun shy after several of his signings have backfired. He will be all-in again in 2018, I suspect.

100% agree except for the passing part. He'll sell the team and make a huge profit before he has to fix the stadium. I don't believe Arte will hand out a rediculas Pujols type contract ever again.

What I'd like to see:
1) Matt Weiters 1-yrs, $11m + mutual option
2) Luis Valbuena, 1-yr, $5m
3) One (or two if they get cheap enough) of Boone Logan, JP Howell, Jerry Blevins, Luke Hochevar, Jim Henderson to 1-2 year deals for >$5m/AAV

What will probably happen:
1) Matt Wieters, 3-yrs, $36m
2) A ST invite for Jered Weaver
3) Chase Utley, Kelly Johnson, Bud Norris, or Jon Niese become our last FA signee

At this point my offseason wish list would be:
1) a vet bullpen arm - nothing flashy, just cheap with a bit of stability
2) one more FA hitter who falls to an absolute bargain, preferably left-handed but not necessary, with ability to play IF, corner OF, and/or C. Could be Bautista, could be Daniel Descalso.
3) pulling off another Marte for Eaves-type trade or two for AAA depth.

Weiters spent a lot of time on the DL list the past two years or so.

We need an arm - and have a lot of potential fifth starters ready to report to camp now and compete.

I think we need some pen help.

I think we need a bat (Weiters should satisfy that need somewhat)

Who was that other catcher we just acquired? Can't remember his name or what team he played for last year but at the time he was dealt to the Halos -- for another catcher I think - he was described as primarily a defensive catcher without much offense.  I guess if we acquire Weiters, he could spend some time at DH (and hopefully not at/on DL) and this other catcher could start a number of the games -- although, Pujols, I imagine, will play less 1B this year than before and be slotting in at DH more often.

If we get Weiters (a big IF -- I don't see Arte spending the money), it would complete a 'strong up the middle' approach with Simmons, SS, Espinosa, 2B and Trout, CF. That's a roster strategy I agree with.  Strong up the middle with this team now requires a bit more power (Weiters could fill that bill) and a strong pen that can allow your 4th/ 5th starters to pitch 6 inning games.

I don't see Jered Weaver getting an ST invite UNLESS he gets ZERO bites elsewhere and decides to give it one more shot at ST with the Halos rather than retire.

But, I see Weaver getting some interest from other teams and hope he signs with the San Diego Padres, perhaps even a one plus one year option -- and would love to see him wn 15 games for San Diego in that ballpark........

San Diego could use a lift right now -- Padres and MLS (Soccer) only professional sports left down there,

I would like to see a two year deal for Wieters for around $10 million a season and then sign some bullpen depth for another $8-$10 million, that keeps us under the threshold and gives us a better everyday line up and it gives us a better pen that will give us a better chance to win.  Also with these shorter deals it doesn't prevent us from building a farm or competing for a big free agent class in a couple of years.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I would like to see a two year deal for Wieters for around $10 million a season and then sign some bullpen depth for another $8-$10 million, that keeps us under the threshold and gives us a better everyday line up and it gives us a better pen that will give us a better chance to win.  Also with these shorter deals it doesn't prevent us from building a farm or competing for a big free agent class in a couple of years.  

Think that's totally reasonable and could be pretty realistic within the next couple of weeks as well. With Feliz, Casilla, and Cahill coming off the board, it looks like we're starting to see the reliever market finally move. And at that price, I think Wieters improves this team quite a bit.

why is the market for Weiters so weak?  He did have a lot of DL time in 2014-15 and hit .243 last season (as well as being a Boras client).

if we can catch the market right here for Weiters, like the prior post, I think it would give the Halos an upgrade in a position where we've been fairly weak the past several years.

Weiters gives us some power, he's pretty good behind the plate -- coming out of Georgia Tech he was one of the top prospects in the country.  We just obtained another back up catcher (Maldonado?) who has some playing time under his belt and is considered a pretty good defensive catcher.

Weiters could spell Pujols at DH on occasion.  If we could get Weiters at a decent price........heck yeah - do it.

this decision is likely to be made here pretty soon --read reports that Mets were considering Weiters but have sort of dropped out of the bidding..........Weiters won't go un-signed. Some other F/A types might.

12 hours ago, disarcina said:

I don't see Jered Weaver getting an ST invite UNLESS he gets ZERO bites elsewhere and decides to give it one more shot at ST with the Halos rather than retire.

But, I see Weaver getting some interest from other teams and hope he signs with the San Diego Padres, perhaps even a one plus one year option -- and would love to see him wn 15 games for San Diego in that ballpark........

San Diego could use a lift right now -- Padres and MLS (Soccer) only professional sports left down there,

They don't have MLS.

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

http://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Forbes - The Business Of Baseball.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $1.34 B

and that's probably on the low side as we have one of the lowest revenue to value ratios calculated on that list.  Most teams valuations are at 5-6x revenue minus debt.  we have zero debt but we need a new stadium.  I bet we'd sell for around 1.6-1.8 B.  

23 hours ago, totdprods said:

What I'd like to see:
1) Matt Weiters 1-yrs, $11m + mutual option
2) Luis Valbuena, 1-yr, $5m
3) One (or two if they get cheap enough) of Boone Logan, JP Howell, Jerry Blevins, Luke Hochevar, Jim Henderson to 1-2 year deals for >$5m/AAV

What will probably happen:
1) Matt Wieters, 3-yrs, $36m
2) A ST invite for Jered Weaver
3) Chase Utley, Kelly Johnson, Bud Norris, or Jon Niese become our last FA signee

At this point my offseason wish list would be:
1) a vet bullpen arm - nothing flashy, just cheap with a bit of stability
2) one more FA hitter who falls to an absolute bargain, preferably left-handed but not necessary, with ability to play IF, corner OF, and/or C. Could be Bautista, could be Daniel Descalso.
3) pulling off another Marte for Eaves-type trade or two for AAA depth.

They're not going to block Ward for three years. Wieters would get one year, maybe two, or one and an option. Weaver invite i could see, but only if he is okay with coming out of the pen. I like Valbuena, but they have Marte and Espinosa now so I think that door is closed. And of course, Kaleb Cowart. Another bullpen arm is unlikely. I think they like who they have. Especially at that price. I see them adding no more than $8M in payroll. Maybe $10M. And that's a long shot. Wieters isn't going to get 11M on a one year deal, the market for catchers is low. 

17 hours ago, Hubs said:

They're not going to block Ward for three years. Wieters would get one year, maybe two, or one and an option. Weaver invite i could see, but only if he is okay with coming out of the pen. I like Valbuena, but they have Marte and Espinosa now so I think that door is closed. And of course, Kaleb Cowart. Another bullpen arm is unlikely. I think they like who they have. Especially at that price. I see them adding no more than $8M in payroll. Maybe $10M. And that's a long shot. Wieters isn't going to get 11M on a one year deal, the market for catchers is low. 

I think it's a little too early to worry about blocking Ward. One more season before that really needs to be considered. Really good minor league catchers tend to carry a lot of trade value too, and while I wouldn't start offering him up now, we could be in a position where Wieters, Perez, Maldonado, and even Sanchez could emerge as sufficient catching depth for the immediate future, and we may very well need to be a buyer at some point. Ward may be the most attractive and expendable trade piece we have for awhile. 

If Valbuena dropped to 2/$12m or less, I would take him over Marte at this point. If he costs anymore than that, I wouldn't be interested, but for that amount it is worth it.