• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Could the Angels make an Adam Eaton-like deal with Kole Calhoun?

Chuck

I've been more open to dealing Calhoun than most on here for awhile, but I know he won't come close to getting the haul that Eaton got. Eaton's contract was a huge reason he was so valuable. Any Calhoun trade I envisioned was almost always a one for one (with either side maybe throwing in another lesser prospect to even it out) such as Calhoun for Bauer, Smyly, Wheeler, Matz, Lynn, Ventura. A SP with similar club control that had shown promise but yet to establish themselves on a pitching rich team who needed a good corner outfielder. All of those scenarios were a little more likely a year or two ago. Pitching has cost so much the past season I can't see it being very likely now.

Hindsight is 2020 of course, but I remember wanting to deal Richards and Calhoun last offseason and wonder what we'd be looking at today if that had happened. What would the Cubs or Red Sox have given us for Richards last offseason? Or the Mets or Indians for Calhoun? 

This article brings up a thought regarding a difference between big market and small market teams. I've wondered in the past why larger market teams don't lock up players long term at affordable prices like Eaton. Clearly in part the mere fact that a big payroll team has more money and does not need to take on the inherent risk of locking up a young player long term has something to do with it but I am surprised that larger market teams don't do this a little more often.

The Angels made the easiest choice ever locking up Trout but I am surprised that we haven't done it more in the past. Right now it will be harder to do this season but I could see the Angels seriously consider extending players like Richards or Calhoun after this season to help control their arbitration payrolls and provide greater fidelity to the long term payroll outlook.

Also players like Bedrosian and Bandy strike me as guys the Angels could approach in the next 1-3 years and possibly sign to longer term deals at team friendly prices. Does the idea of giving Cam a 5 year/$25M deal (hypothetical here just tossing out a number) strike any of you as a good one for the Halos? It almost certainly does if you believe Bedrosian is as good or even close to as good as he was in 2016. He pitched just as well as most of the top closers on the market and Melancon just got $15M per season. Do you lock up Bandy on a 7 year/$20M deal to be our catcher for years to come? I don't know the right answers here because I'm not seeing the players practice and play every day but these are ideas the Angels should consider for the right players in the coming years in my humble opinion. It has to be for the right players of course and those players need to agree that getting a pay day is worth the potential money they could lose in free agency. Clearly they exist so it would nice to see the Halos do this a little more often.

Not going to happen simply because this would be showing the fans that you aren't playing for 2017.  It's showing them that you aren't trying to get to the playoffs.  Arte wants 3 million every year.  Keeping under the tax and 3 million in attendance seems to be his only goals and by trading away a fan favorite, you are hampering your ability to get the attendance that you want.  I wanted to trade away most of the players at the deadline last year so I would be all for it but most of the fanbase would not be happy and Arte wouldn't get his 3 million.  Granted, a lot of people go to the games to see Trout but taking away Calhoun would only hurt matters to most of the fans.

I'd do it for a starting pitcher or a high-level reliever. I've always thought the shortest path to filling the hole in the rotation is a Calhoun trade. Would you do this trade for Alex Colome and Alex Cobb? How about for David Robertson and Miguel Gonzales?  There are a few trades out there that would make me think about it. 

On 12/10/2016 at 1:49 PM, ettin said:

This article brings up a thought regarding a difference between big market and small market teams. I've wondered in the past why larger market teams don't lock up players long term at affordable prices like Eaton. Clearly in part the mere fact that a big payroll team has more money and does not need to take on the inherent risk of locking up a young player long term has something to do with it but I am surprised that larger market teams don't do this a little more often.

The Angels made the easiest choice ever locking up Trout but I am surprised that we haven't done it more in the past. Right now it will be harder to do this season but I could see the Angels seriously consider extending players like Richards or Calhoun after this season to help control their arbitration payrolls and provide greater fidelity to the long term payroll outlook.

Also players like Bedrosian and Bandy strike me as guys the Angels could approach in the next 1-3 years and possibly sign to longer term deals at team friendly prices. Does the idea of giving Cam a 5 year/$25M deal (hypothetical here just tossing out a number) strike any of you as a good one for the Halos? It almost certainly does if you believe Bedrosian is as good or even close to as good as he was in 2016. He pitched just as well as most of the top closers on the market and Melancon just got $15M per season. Do you lock up Bandy on a 7 year/$20M deal to be our catcher for years to come? I don't know the right answers here because I'm not seeing the players practice and play every day but these are ideas the Angels should consider for the right players in the coming years in my humble opinion. It has to be for the right players of course and those players need to agree that getting a pay day is worth the potential money they could lose in free agency. Clearly they exist so it would nice to see the Halos do this a little more often.

Well, we used to with the likes of Salmon and GA . If I remember right both of their first contracts were where we bought out a year or two of FA and banked some arb Cashe'....?

Oh and BTW, I'm in for locking up all the young ones!.... They may wait on Bandy to see if he can balance out his season from the Hot/Cold same with Cron (which would make him a bit more tradeable) and if BedRock can build off last year across a full season I would hope they dropped a bit of coin and bought out some arb years which would lower the annual value of the deals.

I think Fletcher has this one down. Calhoun doesn't have the same trade value as Eaton. They could probably get one B+/A- prospect, and one B-/B prospect.

Kole is a difficult player to properly value, and thus an easy player to over or undervalue. Over the three years that he's been a regular, he has accumulated 11.4 WAR, which is good for 16th among 88 qualified players, putting him in the 18th percentile of major league outfielders during that time. He is good to very good player, maybe even a borderline star, but not a true star. He's 29 years old, with three more years of club control but is arbitration eligible so starting to get expensive. As a known commodity, someone who can be counted on for 3-4 WAR and still in his prime years, he's got a lot of value. But as a player with limited upside, his value caps out.

My point being, unless someone overpays--makes an offer we can't refuse--I think you've got to hold onto him for at least a couple more years. If he continues playing as he is, and the market holds up, he's going to get at least Fowler money in 2020, maybe 4/$80M, so depending upon how Jones and Hermosillo are developing, after 2018 might be a good time to trade him.

Or Eppler could put together an extensive right now, that would include his three arbitration years and maybe two years beyond that. 5/$80M?