• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon's Lucky Angel's Cap

Homebrewer

Some of you may recall I mentioned this during the playoffs and WS, that Maddon keeps his father's Angel cap in his bag and takes it with him everywhere. Joe did an interview (his first since the WS) at the Yogi Berra Museum recently and he brings the cap up again..

"Before the playoffs, I wanted them to understand that something bad was going to happen, and when it does, we have to keep our wits about us. You have to know and expect something bad will happen, and how you react to that is what will set you apart. And then Jason Heyward calls a team meeting after the home run. I was not involved, which I loved. Jason gets them together after that moment, during the most fortuitous 15-minute rain delay in the history of Major League Baseball. It allowed us to regroup, and no one has ever had that opportunity before. It really was the perfect storm.

"It also allowed me to grab my dad's hat. He passed away in 2002, and he had an Angels hat with a big wing on it. I had that hat with me everywhere I go, so I took it out of my backpack and stuck it in the back of my pants under my hoodie. The rain delay permitted us to have a meeting, for me to check out the weather map, talk to Theo [Epstein] and Jed [Hoyer], and get my dad's hat. And during the rest of the game, it was such a comforting feeling knowing he was back there."

Full interview (lots of insight into his game management and decisions during the WS)

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/210171214/cubs-joe-maddon-talks-at-yogi-berra-museum/