• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MVPs

1 hour ago, Oz27 said:

I still don't get how there is an argument for anyone other than Trout. The other MVP contenders play for teams with more competent front offices, meaning their teams are still in the race, but how the hell is that Trout's fault? He has been the best at what an individual actually controls - their own performance.

out of curiosity, how are defining "most valuable"? 

4 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Effectively, yes. We've got very good at using statistics to measure performance. I don't see what else should be factored in besides someone's performance.

Well the writers have decided to favor playoff teams into their equation.  Sucks, but it's their award. 

2 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Effectively, yes. We've got very good at using statistics to measure performance. I don't see what else should be factored in besides someone's performance.

If you're just going to use stats to select the award winner then why vote? Combine the stat MVP award with the race for a better draft pick and players could play for particular numbers instead of to actually win games. It would be like Trout was trying to win the NASCAR points championship while his teammates went along for the ride. It just goes along with making other things more important than winning the actual game being played.

1 hour ago, Oz27 said:

Harper was better than that field than Trout is with this one. Playing on a bad team is clearly an impediment to being named MVP but it's more of a handicap than something which gives someone zero chance of winning.

According to BR, Harper and Greinke had the same WAR last year.  

20 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If you're just going to use stats to select the award winner then why vote? Combine the stat MVP award with the race for a better draft pick and players could play for particular numbers instead of to actually win games. It would be like Trout was trying to win the NASCAR points championship while his teammates went along for the ride. It just goes along with making other things more important than winning the actual game being played.

My head hurts. What the hell are you on about?

1 minute ago, Oz27 said:

My head hurts. What the hell are you on about?

I don't see the point of voting on awards that could be determined by a known formula of numbers. It seems like a recipe for someone along the way to start playing for individual awards that aren't directly linked to team success. No system will be without flaws but the ones that don't reward wins on the field will be the most flawed.

12 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I don't see the point of voting on awards that could be determined by a known formula of numbers. It seems like a recipe for someone along the way to start playing for individual awards that aren't directly linked to team success. No system will be without flaws but the ones that don't reward wins on the field will be the most flawed.

Trout has done everything he can to make the team successful, it isn't his fault that his team's management assembled a group of players to surround him which is really bad. He shouldn't be held responsible for his team's failings.

4 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Trout has done everything he can to make the team successful, it isn't his fault that his team's management assembled a group of players to surround him which is really bad. He shouldn't be held responsible for his team's failings.

Look, if I had a vote it would go to Trout. The Jays are a lot more likely to win when Donaldson goes 0-5 with an error than the Angels are if Trout does. But where you look at it as penalizing Trout, the writers might look at it as rewarding a guy who is doing similarly good work and his team is getting actual results. In 50 years we can all look back and see who had the most WAR or whatever number you choose. Just like we look back now and see that Ted Williams won 2 triple crowns and had a .406 season and won none of those MVPs. That's his legacy in numbers. The BBWAA is supposed to be telling the story of the season in words. So when they vote for the award that they created, using the criteria that they choose, there's really no point in saying they're wrong.

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Look, if I had a vote it would go to Trout. The Jays are a lot more likely to win when Donaldson goes 0-5 with an error than the Angels are if Trout does. But where you look at it as penalizing Trout, the writers might look at it as rewarding a guy who is doing similarly good work and his team is getting actual results. In 50 years we can all look back and see who had the most WAR or whatever number you choose. Just like we look back now and see that Ted Williams won 2 triple crowns and had a .406 season and won none of those MVPs. That's his legacy in numbers. The BBWAA is supposed to be telling the story of the season in words. So when they vote for the award that they created, using the criteria that they choose, there's really no point in saying they're wrong.

The media hated Williams because he was evasive and snarky with them.   That's why they would try to find ways to not vote for him.

Using the criteria that the BBWA have used from day one. You are verbally bankrupt when it comes to describing the value of a player without having to drag up a number from BBRef or Fangraphs. That is not describing the player, just the aggregate totals of numbers recorded. As one member already posted Grienke had the same WAR as Harper and you nullified his numbers because you claim Fangrphs are the real numbers. So you are just using criteria that you believe is true but still have no real idea if one player was more valuable than the other, just that one you could attach a significantly higher number to using the grading system of your choice.

Meanwhile one of those guys got this treatment from a teammate that wasn't believing your numbers made him an MVP.

papelbonharper.jpg