• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is CJ Cron a keeper?

16 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I like this kid a lot! I don't believe we've seen his best yet but I can't help thinking what his trade value could be. The kid still have four more years of club control left.

Does Eppler explore his trade value in the off season? 

I would keep him....he's had a very good year...I guess you could trade him for a good pitching prospect or prospects and put Marte at 1b.....but I'd keep him, try to plug the starting rotation the best we can and hang on until 2018....

I have no doubts other teams would want him but I can't imagine getting enough back in return to justify trading him this off season while the Angels can continue to use him at 1B with Albert DH'ing.  He's had a good year while both his OBP and SLG have improved and if he can stay healthy next year while putting up similar numbers he'd be very valuable in terms of pay/prodcution.  His current SLG would rank 52 in all of MLB if he were qualified but he's about 120 AB's away from that.  Most anyone on the roster should be available for the right return but he's one guy I'd really like to see what he can do with the Angels over the course of a full season. 

If this is the legit Cron and not "streaky" Cron, then, if you want to complete in '17, you have to keep him as a part of your offense.  Next year, you are looking at:

1)  Escobar 3B - .320 .368 .769 OPS 114 OPS+

2)  Calhoun RF - .270 .352 .770 OPS 113 OPS+

3)  Trout CF - .316 .434 .991 OPS 173 OPS+

4)  Pujols DH - .263 .323 .773 OPS 112 OPS+

5)  Cron 1B - .285 .335 .813 OPS 122 OPS+

as your top 5.

That's a solid offensive line-up.  You also have the potential behind them of:

6)  Marte 3B/LF - .254 .295 .776 OPS 110 OPS+

It will curious to see if Marte can continue to develop offensively or if this is his peak.  His number this year are very similar to what Trumo gave us his final year prior to being traded (.234 .295 .747 OPS 109 OPS+) but at cost controlled numbers. Based on power potential, it looks like he has a place in the line-up.

7)  Simmons SS - .272 .308 .641 OPS 78 OPS+

8)  Bandy C - .260 (?) .320 (?) .750 (?)

9)  Cowart 2B - ????

Even with the question marks 6-9, that's the line-up of a contender, health permitting.

26 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

I say keep him. He's getting better the past couple years and we are a bit short on talent at the moment. Not sure he will ever be Trumbo 2016 good but I think he could have a breakout year next year.

Despite leading the league with HRs with 42, his other numbers are not increidble:

.255 .316 OBP .854 OPS 120 OPS+

1.3 WAR, he's a DH playing in the outfield

Cron may not hit the HRs Trumbo will but he could have a higher avg and OBP and similar OPS+

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I think Eppler will definitely explore his value and I have reason to believe he has a higher probability of just about anyone on our team to be traded.

Kendrick netted us Heaney ... with one year left on a contract that paid him around $8M.

Cron not Kendrick but has plenty of upside with four years of control. Can we get a top pitching prospect who can help us out next season and beyond?

Think we should hold onto him for at least another year. Much like Matt Shoemaker, if he maintains this production through 2017, his trade value will increase so substantially that the massive potential trade return at that point is well worth the risk. 

Being able to have the option of dealing one of those two at the '17 deadline (or that offseason) for a very good return gives us an opportunity at that point, closer to our goal of competing 2018-2020, to better assess what our needs will be for that timeframe. Also, by the end of 2017, guys like Trop, Thaiss, Heaney, and possibly Marte could make trading one or both of Shoe/Cron a little easier to swallow.

42 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Think we should hold onto him for at least another year. Much like Matt Shoemaker, if he maintains this production through 2017, his trade value will increase so substantially that the massive potential trade return at that point is well worth the risk. 

Being able to have the option of dealing one of those two at the '17 deadline (or that offseason) for a very good return gives us an opportunity at that point, closer to our goal of competing 2018-2020, to better assess what our needs will be for that timeframe. Also, by the end of 2017, guys like Trop, Thaiss, Heaney, and possibly Marte could make trading one or both of Shoe/Cron a little easier to swallow.

The only team in our way next season is the Texas Rangers. Daniels has been a very good GM for the Rangers.

This team is ready to be milked in 2017. In 2018 the milk will be a little bit sweeter :)

Wasting another season of Trout and Pujols shouldn't be in the cards. For them to go through the motions of another season is crazy.

The glass is more than half full now ... Eppler needs to fill in the rest this coming off season. You don't need to exceed the cap to get it done.

Can I get a Amen?

image.png

The Angels have a Top 10 offense so you either keep that group for next year or you trade one or more and replace them off of the free agent market or through other trades.

Cron's production is potentially replaceable but you have to make the right set of moves if you're thinking about moving him.

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Kendrick netted us Heaney ... with one year left on a contract that paid him around $8M.

Cron not Kendrick but has plenty of upside with four years of control. Can we get a top pitching prospect who can help us out next season and beyond?

They will just blow out their UCL and need Tommy John surgery. Why not get a young pitcher that's already had the surgery and has come back strong... kidding sort of.

11 minutes ago, ettin said:

The Angels have a Top 10 offense so you either keep that group for next year or you trade one or more and replace them off of the free agent market or through other trades.

Cron's production is potentially replaceable but you have to make the right set of moves if you're thinking about moving him.

There are 15 teams in the AL so a top 10 offense is not impressive and doesn't quite get it done when you are 12th in pitching.

11 minutes ago, ettin said:

I think you could grab Mitch Moreland on a two year deal on the cheap. Good defense and some power. 

7 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

There are 15 teams in the AL so a top 10 offense is not impressive and doesn't quite get it done when you are 12th in pitching.

I was hoping this would be a upbeat thread and guys like you would stay out of it :)

Think AL West ... only 23 runs difference between the Angels and the Rangers.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Cron is better than him. Mitch's OPS+ is 104 just barely average.

Ok 

Mitch is a much better defender .., but trading Cron should get you something nice in return. 

My question is about Cron's trade value. Moreland was just a example if we did trade Cron.