• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2017 Draft Pick Standings

I was all for getting a good draft pick but now I'm sort of switching to being happy we are playing well despite everything. It does wonders for confidence to play well going into the off-season and next year. Also I'd say it would make us a more desirable team to sign with than if we lost 100 games. Hopefully this late season success translates into good things for the off-season and next season.

On 9/6/2016 at 10:59 AM, zenmaster said:

I was all for getting a good draft pick but now I'm sort of switching to being happy we are playing well despite everything. It does wonders for confidence to play well going into the off-season and next year. Also I'd say it would make us a more desirable team to sign with than if we lost 100 games. Hopefully this late season success translates into good things for the off-season and next season.

update:

currently with the 8th pick.  

1 game ahead of Oakland and Cinnci.  2 games ahead of Tampa.  2.5 ahead of SD.  Three games ahead of Az.  

With a 'strong' finish, we could end up the 3rd overall pick.  

We are 1 game ahead of both Philly and Milwaukee, and the next closest after them are Colorado at 5.5 games ahead and CWS at 7 games ahead.  

With 18 games to go, the protected pick is looking pretty solid. 

BTW, this seasons sucks dick.  

27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not gonna get any easier with all the games left still against the Rangers and especially the Astros. I think we're like 1-9 against them this season. 

Fine by me. Get dem picks. 

And only sign guys like Nova and Benoit, who would not cost a 2nd round pick either due to being a mid-season acquisition.

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

And only sign guys like Nova and Benoit, who would not cost a 2nd round pick either due to being a mid-season acquisition.

Will be quite a few FAs this year without QO's attached. Reddick won't cost a pick anymore either, and he's really hurt his value with his performance on the Dogs. Gone I think are his odds of getting a 4/80 or 5/90 which seemed like an outside possibility at the start of the year. He'd slot in nicely with Calhoun and Trout, and could give us a bit of a Calhoun insurance plan in case we wind up needing to deal him away in the next season or two to bring in some prospects.

I really like the idea of bringing in Nova.

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Agreed. If our second pick is somewhere between 30-40, we can't give it up either.

Very few FAs who will have compensation attached...Cespedes, Hellickson, Desmond, Ramos, Encarnacion, Bautista, Trumbo, probably Jansen, maybe Turner, Fowler, Prado, Walker, Fister. 

Of those, Desmond, Cespedes, and Hellickson seem like the only sure-fire ones we would consider, but I doubt we're gonna spend that much. 

The Fowler/Prado/Turner tier, I could see us signing one, but I'd imagine Eppler would prioritize someone with a QO.

However, given how we have gone conservative on money in past two drafts, maybe they take advantage of no 2nd Rounder and an earlier draft slot and go hard after drafting someone who will require an overpay. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Stud college RHP is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Considering the dearth of top of the rotation pitching talent in the Angels minor league system and that in a recent SB Nation article that 7 of the top 10 prospects were RH starting pitchers seems like a logical choice.

And also taking into consideration that Angels top talents in minor league system are 1B, OF, C, OF, #4/5 SP and IF/OF. 

I looked at the Angels, Rangers, Astros and Mariners starting eight plus DH and 18 were 1st, 2nd or 3rd round choices and 13 were non-drafted Latin American players (Rangers and Mariners have 5 each).  The other 5 players were 8th round (Calhoun), 17th round (Mitch Moreland) 13th round (Pujols), 23rd round (Gattis) and 31st round (Bandy).  Seems like the early rounds are quite important plus having a strong presence in the Latin American countries.

Pitchers were similar with 8 of 20 starters were 1st round picks, 2 were from Japan and 3 were non-drafted Latin American players.  The other seven ranged from 4th round (Paxton) to non-drafted (Shoe).

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

There's a 21 year-old Japanese pitcher named Shohei Otani who was recently clocked at 100mph.   He has had a low 2.00s ERA/1.00 WHIP the past two seasons over there, and this season for good measure has a 1.000+ OPS in about 350 plate appearances.  

#HintArteHint

I can't see the Angels *not* be interested in this guy, but I'm sure he's going to be more interested in an environment where he can hit. I'd be stunned if the Dodgers or Cubs didn't get him. 

11 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

There's a 21 year-old Japanese pitcher named Shohei Otani who was recently clocked at 100mph.   He has had a low 2.00s ERA/1.00 WHIP the past two seasons over there, and this season for good measure has a 1.000+ OPS in about 350 plate appearances.  

#HintArteHint

Otani will cost $200 million comfortably, the bidding war for him will be crazy. I would love to see us get him, he is the most exciting thing in baseball since Trout's emergence and the best two-way player in 90 years. But imagine what teams like the Dodgers and Yankees will be willing to offer. I'd be surprised to see us match that.

2 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Otani will cost $200 million comfortably, the bidding war for him will be crazy. I would love to see us get him, he is the most exciting thing in baseball since Trout's emergence and the best two-way player in 90 years. But imagine what teams like the Dodgers and Yankees will be willing to offer. I'd be surprised to see us match that.

If he has a UCL, I don't want him.

Reverse Standings or Top 10 Draft Picks 9/17/16

1. Minnesota Twins  0
2. Atlanta Braves 1.5 GB
3. Arizona Diamondbacks 7.5 GB
4. San Diego Padres 7.5 GB
5. Cincinnati Reds 8 GB
6. Anaheim Angels 8.5 GB
7. Tampa Bay Rays 8.5 GB
8. Oakland Athletics 9.5 GB
9. Milwaukee Brewers 11.5 GB
10. Philadelphia Phillies 11.5 GB

We are 1 game from a tie for 3rd overall pick in the 2017 draft

If two teams finish with identical records, the previous year's standings of the two teams is the tiebreaker, with the team having a worse record receiving the higher pick.