• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Contagion

The Zika thread reminded me of that movie. Anyone else like it? I thought it was great, but I'm in to that kind of stuff.

Anyone ever read the hot zone? It's about ebola way back when. Read that and another one about the origin of HIV. Scary, but very interesting. 

Anyone else a super nerd that in to baseball and diseases? 

2 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

My sister is an infectious disease MD. I was watching Outbreak last week and asked her how dumb this movie was. She said it was pretty ridiculous but that Contagion is fairly accurate for a movie based on that stuff. I remember watching it and feeling really stressed out after I coughed. Creepy stuff

You tell your sister to leave outbreak alone!

And ask her if shed drop the bomb on cedar creek

Anyone follow the latest news on HIV? Theyve made incredible advances in recent years and may even be getting close to a vaccine.

On the other hand, they discovered a very aggressive strain in cuba last year. Supposedly it leaps from HIV to AIDS in about 3 years...

I didnt know until i read up on it, but apparently there are several different strands. Some more deadly than others. 

20 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Don't do buttsex with men and you won't get it.  That's progress.

very true.

there was a story in the LA Times sunday magazine a few years ago about call boys who were HIV positive. most of them said they didn't care about having it or catching it, and that they wouldn't really use protection because it didn't feel as satisfying. and if they infected their client, tough luck. horrible.

1 hour ago, cezero said:

it's no longer an automatic death sentence...for the affluent (just about anybody in the US, globally speaking).

I know in africa its still a huge issue because of cost. But i saw a commercial once that said its about 50 cents a day for meds. Thats come a long way from the old days

1 hour ago, Tank said:

very true.

there was a story in the LA Times sunday magazine a few years ago about call boys who were HIV positive. most of them said they didn't care about having it or catching it, and that they wouldn't really use protection because it didn't feel as satisfying. and if they infected their client, tough luck. horrible.

Yeah, blows me away. Anyone that ignorant that helps the problem...

I read something recently about the younger generation in the gay community, and it falls in line with the younger heroin users im coming accross at work. Basically, if youre under 30 or so years, youre probably too young to remember the really bad years. So these younger people that engage in high risk activities, they have less fear because they didnt live through the really bad years. 

I also think because health care has come so far along, a lot of the younger generation thinks its not a big deal. Meh, sure, its a lot more treatable today...but by no means curable. Whats especially frustrating is that viruses mutate all the time. So treating the situation as "ill just take a pill" could in the long run backfire huge because the virus could mutate and become resistant to meds.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I know in africa its still a huge issue because of cost. But i saw a commercial once that said its about 50 cents a day for meds. Thats come a long way from the old days

I got started in the healthcare field in the early 90s, when HIV/AIDS was out of control. My first job was working for an IV pharmacy, and we used to get a couple new cases every day. Our territory covered NYC, so we were at the front line. Back then the patient's bill would be thousands PER DAY. The amount of money flushed down the toilet was insane.

There would be TPN IV nutritional feeding formula, aerosolized pentam for the lungs, Cytovene IV anti-viral, double or triple IV antibiotics, IV anti fungals, etc... The list would not end. Most of the time it would just slow the progression down. Then Serostim (HGH) came out and was used to counter AIDS wasting syndrome. That alone was around $5,000 per WEEK, but progress was being made. The attention that Magic brought to the disease was a true game changer. The stigma that was associated with it seemed to change.  Experimental drug cocktails were finally showing progress

If someone told me back then that 50 cents per day would be the future cost, I would have laughed them out of the room.

Funny you mention that. I was young, but remember how big of a shock magic was. That definitely seemed to change a lot of the perception. 

Was HGH already around, or did HIV kind of bring that out. Crazy on the price...at the gym its a lot less...

Are you familiar with the new one a day pill that supposedly blocks infection? Starts with a T? I watched a special about it on Vice. 

19 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Funny you mention that. I was young, but remember how big of a shock magic was. That definitely seemed to change a lot of the perception. 

Was HGH already around, or did HIV kind of bring that out. Crazy on the price...at the gym its a lot less...

Are you familiar with the new one a day pill that supposedly blocks infection? Starts with a T? I watched a special about it on Vice. 

Serostim (Somatropin) was one of the first HGH available to us. It was very controlled, and was tracked tighter than morphine and other controlled substances at the time. Since it was new, and patent protected, the price was insane. I haven't dispensed it in about 15 years, so I am sure it has gone way down.

I had a tile guy doing work in my home who asked me if we could barter his work for some Serostim. He was an amateur bodybuilder, and shared a house with a couple of NY Giants players. He asked me about the legality of us supplying it to the players. I crushed that instantly, and we never spoke of it again.

I am not familiar with the pill you speak of, but would love to hear more about it. Kind of hard to make that claim since things change constantly.