• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Yunel Escobar?

Chuck

Would you trade Yunel Escobar or keep him for a run in 2017?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Yunel Escobar or keep him for a run in 2017?

• Trade him only for an A-level prospect, or two B level prospects at the deadline
    • Trade him at the deadline in 2017 if the Angels are out of it
    • Keep him for a run in the 2017 season - possibly extend him if he continues his amazing hitting in '17 for a run in 2018 when (Richards, Heaney & Trop are back)

43 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

What matter is that the team competes in 2017. I think our core players are ready to win and want to win. 

I wouldn't trade Escobar until the 2017 deadline.

The FO won't trade him now unless they're upper tier prospect(s) who can help the team win in 2017. 

Either way ... Eppler has some tough decisions. 

In regards to Escobar, do you think his trade value will ever be higher than it currently is?

It's clear he has figured something out at the plate but at age 33, you run the risk of just not being able to do what he's anymore.  If I felt like we had any shot to compete next year then I would definitely keep him but I don't.  The reason I don't is that I don't want to see us sell off a bunch of farm pieces (what little we have) to give us what might be a very outside shot at making the playoffs.  I guess what I am saying is that I am afraid of what we would have to do to compete in 2017 and I don't think it would be in the best interest of the club for the long term or even the next 3-5yrs.  

The batting average and obp are very sexy.  The one thing I would caution, however, is giving Escobar all of the credit for the offensive turnaround from last year to this one.  We had a Calhoun and a fair amount of Aybar at the top last year along with a bunch of others.  Not only did Escobar replace the others, but Calhoun's obp has gone from .308 to .364.  Another huge factor in all of this.  

And we need a lot more than offense to help us for the foreseeable future.  

By the time 2018 rolls around, I would hope there would be an opportunity to add a player who could produce similarly from the leadoff spot or.........you put calhoun there and Trout second.  Then you fill other positions that are offensive outliers with better players like in LF and 2b.  Which is essentially what we had going in 2014 when our offense was the best in baseball.  That year, there wasn't one players who's offensive skills were overly spectacular outside of Trout.  It was just a good, well balanced offense.  League average production from LF and 2b or perhaps slightly above would go a long to making this offense very good.  

The bottom line is that I would absolutely trade him now as long as the return was solid.  It doesn't even have to be great as far as I'm concerned, because it's not going to get any better and I don't want to see the team do desperate things in other places in order to think they can compete next year.  

it will be very tough to compete next year with only three starting pitchers, one of which is Santiago.  We need to acquire 5 starting pitchers of varying level of abilities just to have enough depth to get through a season.  We have three starters and Nate Smith, THAT IS IT.   We don't have a guy knocking on the door besides Smith.  So we need to acquire a 4 and a 5, plus 3 more 5's, just to have enough to make it through a season.  That isn't very realistic without trading Smith, Escobar, and possibly Street.  Now if we do trade those guys, then we need a 7th inning guy and an 8th inning guy (with closing experience in case Bedrosian doesn't pan out) and we need a lead off hitter.  

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Escobar has proved three things to us:

1. That last season was no fluke

2. That he's a valuable guy atop ANY teams lineup. 

3. He could bring us back a good prospect or two in any trade.

So with that in mind.. Would you look at keeping him for a run next year (and F off to all of you who think next year is a throw away year -- too early for that shit) or would you trade him for a good chip or two before this season's deadline, or next season's if we're out of it? 

Look I get it.. With possibly Richards, Heaney and Tropeano all out of the rotation next year, it looks bleak. That said, we have a valuable replacement for Tropeano in Nate Smith IMO and if we keep Santiago we have a pretty decent 1-3 in Shoemaker, Skaggs and Santiago. If we're able to add a FA pitcher for the #4 spot that could give us some quality innings, sign or trade for a productive LF, we may be in a position with Escobar, Trout, Calhoun, (a healthy Cron) and good offensive production from Bandy at C, 25-30 HR, 100 RBI from Pujols & Simmons who is showing he can hit in addition to play amazing run saving defense. 

Also, we all know Cowart can play a better 3B than Escobar, but can he hit enough at the major league level to be someone we can build around? Who replaces Escobar at the leadoff spot if we trade him? For once, since Chone Figgins, we got a guy that gets on base and hits for a high average a top the lineup. It has been since 2009 folks. 

@CALZONE I'd like you to save your thoughts for one of your own threads on the 2017 season. 

EscobarBA.png

He can hit with his eyes closed and he's a great table setter for Calhoun,Trout and Pujols.  He's a KEEPER!

I am really struggling to buy a .367 BABIP from someone who isn't particularly fast and is making hard contact at a below average level (27 per cent of the time). He is walking less and striking out more than his completely mediocre 2014 season but is putting up way better numbers, supported almost entirely by a really really high BABIP for someone who hits so many ground balls (and not particularly hard ones). Add to that, he's only a 1.3 WAR player so far despite putting up his best offensive numbers since 2007 at age 33 (something most guys don't do) and the fact our rotation next season might contain a couple of guys we pick up from outside Home Depot and it would be crazy not to trade Escobar now, I think. A young, cost-controlled starter would be great but I'm open to anything young.

I think the Angels need to think long term and if they can get a reasonable haul for him then he should be traded.  This year is as good as over.  Next year isn't over, but I don't think trading Escobar means you are giving up on next year.  He's only got one more year and is getting up there in age.  He is not a long term solution.  Maybe he could be traded for a long term solution or we could use the rest of the season to figure out what we really have in Cowart.  I doubt that Escobar will be the deciding factor in whether or not the Angels are going to make the playoffs next year.  Trade him, see if Cowart is legit, if not then sign Freese, Luis Valbuena, Martin Prado, or Justin Turner.  The 3B free agent market is actually decent this offseason, which is another reason they should sell high on Escobar now because his market may be gone this offseason.  All of those guys are younger with the exception of Freese.  All play better defense.  All have been about as good with the bat, some have been better.

Trade him now while his value is at its highest.

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He doesn't have a stolen base because he is the third slowest guy on the team behind Albert and Perez.  

Yes I would trade him if I could get a near major league ready left fielder that would appear to be the lead off hitter of the future.  

That's kind of where I'm at. If we can fill a major hole that way, I'm 100% down.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

It's clear he has figured something out at the plate but at age 33, you run the risk of just not being able to do what he's anymore.  If I felt like we had any shot to compete next year then I would definitely keep him but I don't.  The reason I don't is that I don't want to see us sell off a bunch of farm pieces (what little we have) to give us what might be a very outside shot at making the playoffs.  I guess what I am saying is that I am afraid of what we would have to do to compete in 2017 and I don't think it would be in the best interest of the club for the long term or even the next 3-5yrs.  

The batting average and obp are very sexy.  The one thing I would caution, however, is giving Escobar all of the credit for the offensive turnaround from last year to this one.  We had a Calhoun and a fair amount of Aybar at the top last year along with a bunch of others.  Not only did Escobar replace the others, but Calhoun's obp has gone from .308 to .364.  Another huge factor in all of this.  

And we need a lot more than offense to help us for the foreseeable future.  

By the time 2018 rolls around, I would hope there would be an opportunity to add a player who could produce similarly from the leadoff spot or.........you put calhoun there and Trout second.  Then you fill other positions that are offensive outliers with better players like in LF and 2b.  Which is essentially what we had going in 2014 when our offense was the best in baseball.  That year, there wasn't one players who's offensive skills were overly spectacular outside of Trout.  It was just a good, well balanced offense.  League average production from LF and 2b or perhaps slightly above would go a long to making this offense very good.  

The bottom line is that I would absolutely trade him now as long as the return was solid.  It doesn't even have to be great as far as I'm concerned, because it's not going to get any better and I don't want to see the team do desperate things in other places in order to think they can compete next year.  

He could end up being an Edgar Martinez type for us. High BA, OBP and a doubles machine. I'd be down with that. i'm not sold on 2017 being a throw away year either. 

All we need is to sign one decent #3 guy for next season and we have a solid 1-4 in the rotation. Let Nate Smith take the #5 spot and sign a bunch of clean peanuts for AAA in case there's an injury or two. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

So again, the biggest question actually is who would be willing to pay? There's not much of a 3B market right now, and there's a few other options available as well.

Another reason to hang on to him for next season. If the return isn't solid, you keep him. Heck, maybe in the off-season or ST there's a key injury to a 3B, then you can deal him for legit prospects. If not, wait till the trading deadline in 2017. I see nothing in his game that's going to regress and lower his value from now until then. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

So again, the biggest question actually is who would be willing to pay? There's not much of a 3B market right now, and there's a few other options available as well.

I think you are limiting yourself by suggesting he can only play crappy defense at 3B. I think he's very capable of playing crappy defense at 2B and maybe even LF. He can also DH.

Just now, eaterfan said:

I think you are limiting yourself by suggesting he can only play crappy defense at 3B. I think he's very capable of playing crappy defense at 2B and maybe even LF. He can also DH.

lol yep. Just as he can awkwardly stand at 3B, he is also capable of awkwardly standing at other positions. There are teams who need a bat and Escobar can still hit, depending on how much of an impact you believe the extremely high BABIP is having.

15 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

......I don't think Esco will bring in the prospects people are hoping he will.

I think that would make it an easy decision.....It would also be an easy decision if we get offered a prospect or two that the scouts really like.....the tougher call will be somewhere in between, which is probably what will happen....Eppler has to earn his keep with calls like that....

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

it will be very tough to compete next year with only three starting pitchers, one of which is Santiago.  We need to acquire 5 starting pitchers of varying level of abilities just to have enough depth to get through a season.  We have three starters and Nate Smith, THAT IS IT.   We don't have a guy knocking on the door besides Smith.  So we need to acquire a 4 and a 5, plus 3 more 5's, just to have enough to make it through a season.  That isn't very realistic without trading Smith, Escobar, and possibly Street.  Now if we do trade those guys, then we need a 7th inning guy and an 8th inning guy (with closing experience in case Bedrosian doesn't pan out) and we need a lead off hitter.  

Oh that's all?

42 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Another reason to hang on to him for next season. If the return isn't solid, you keep him. Heck, maybe in the off-season or ST there's a key injury to a 3B, then you can deal him for legit prospects. If not, wait till the trading deadline in 2017. I see nothing in his game that's going to regress and lower his value from now until then. 

No way you trade him if you aren't getting what you want in return. Say what you will about the Halos' history of deals but they don't make them just to make them

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

You'r missing one highly important detail.  Whatever pitcher the Angels do acquire, must have a surname that begins with an "S", otherwise he simply won't fit our scheme. 

Shoe, Santiago, Skaggs, Smith and _______________.  IRhg know our best bet is Sabathia, or maybe Shields 

8 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

You'r missing one highly important detail.  Whatever pitcher the Angels do acquire, must have a surname that begins with an "S", otherwise he simply won't fit our scheme. 

Shoe, Santiago, Skaggs, Smith and _______________.  IRhg know our best bet is Sabathia, or maybe Shields 

Well. this settles it.   We are trading Escobar back to the Nats for Strasburg.

I know I'll get shit for it, but I would be fine with them looking at Shields, Sabathia, Hughes, Nolasco, Ervin, etc. if we were able to get them by just taking on some salary and an expendable low level prospect. Just to give us some innings for '17 rotation.