• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Royals 7/25 5:15

Just now, Oz27 said:

So in this scenario I am assuming we hold onto Shoemaker, still have Skaggs and Smith and have Richards, Heaney and Tropeano coming back for 2018. Hopefully we will bring in starters in trades for Escobar and Santiago too. That year's free agent class will likely include Kershaw, Harvey, Fernandez, Keuchel and Price. We will have cleared a lot of money by then. We should be positioning ourselves to sign at least one of those guys.

I see way too much risk right now. Perhaps I'm just snake bitten by this season, but come 2018 it's going to be hard counting on 3-5 TJ survivors in the rotation. Previously TJ surgery is the best indicator of future arm troubles. Harvey and Fernandez might be due for another trip to the arm doctor after we sign them. Kershaw and Price will be past their primes, Keuchel has fallen back to earth, so a lot of money for a lot of risk here. I have stated previously that I am quite risk averse when it comes to spending on pitchers so again maybe it's just me. I'm not sure how much money is going to be there come 2018.

We need to find some stability, someone likely to stay healthy and maybe have more upside then downside. Shoe, Skaggs, Richards, Heaney ... Trop... Fernandez... Harvey... could be a hell of a rotation, or maybe one filled with the Lincecum's and Chacin's of the world.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I see way too much risk right now. Perhaps I'm just snake bitten by this season, but come 2018 it's going to be hard counting on 3-5 TJ survivors in the rotation. Previously TJ surgery is the best indicator of future arm troubles. Harvey and Fernandez might be due for another trip to the arm doctor after we sign them. Kershaw and Price will be past their primes, Keuchel has fallen back to earth, so a lot of money for a lot of risk here. I have stated previously that I am quite risk averse when it comes to spending on pitchers so again maybe it's just me. I'm not sure how much money is going to be there come 2018.

We need to find some stability, someone likely to stay healthy and maybe have more upside then downside. Shoe, Skaggs, Richards, Heaney ... Trop... Fernandez... Harvey... could be a hell of a rotation, or maybe one filled with the Lincecum's and Chacin's of the world.

I agree that counting on that many TJ survivors isn't ideal, but that's the position we're in thanks to incompetent management over many years. I don't see signing Santiago to an extension as a better option than hoping to get one or two good young arms for him now. If there's one pitcher we should be trying to sign to an extension it's Richards, as stupid as that sounds. He'll hit free agency after one season back from surgery and that will limit his value significantly (as will being in a FA class with a whole heap of better pitchers). We might be able to convince him to sign a one-year extension through 2019.

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

If Richards needs TJ surgery the Angels will be in the drivers seat on a extension . You won't have to do much convincing since will be paying him millions in 2017 to get surgery. 

Four years .... team friendly extension sounds about right. 

Ehh, too risky IMO. He'll be 30 years old and returning from TJS. Think you gotta wait and see how he looks when he returns before thinking about locking him to a 4 yr type deal that'll take him through age 33-34.

5 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Ehh, too risky IMO. He'll be 30 years old and returning from TJS. Think you gotta wait and see how he looks when he returns before thinking about locking him to a 4 yr type deal that'll take him through age 33-34.

Not sure a four-year deal makes sense for Richards either. But a one-year deal could help him to rebuild his value post surgery but still hit free agency at a young enough age to get a big payday.

10 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

You extend him to a very team friendly extension in the off season ... at the age of 28 you should be fine. 

It may take him a season and a half to fully recover ... why pay him if you don't extend him.

28 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

What has Richards done to prove how valuable he is? One good year and multiple injuries. I agree about taking a wait and see approach 

5 minutes ago, Angels N Skins said:

What has Richards done to prove how valuable he is? One good year and multiple injuries. I agree about taking a wait and see approach 

That approach may cost the team $15M before you SEE. He will be a free agent soon. You might as well just release him and save the dough. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

That approach may cost the team $15M before you SEE. He will be a free agent by then. You might as well just release him and save the dough. 

This team doesn't seem to mind throwing money away so this one may be worth it

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

You add one legit bat and this team can keep up with anybody offensively. 

LTBU

Signing Reddick/Jay/Gutierrez/anybody for LF, keeping Escobar, and getting a more consistent Cron back would make next year's offense look pretty promising, and may be the only way to at least feign contention without much of a pitching staff.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Signing Reddick/Jay/Gutierrez/anybody for LF, keeping Escobar, and getting a more consistent Cron back would make next year's offense look pretty promising, and may be the only way to at least feign contention without much of a pitching staff.

True ... shades of 2002

i think the bullpen is coming around and isn't as bad as many here believe . Just needs a good twerking. 

I think Escobar has a shot at staying simply because I am not really seeing a team out there that is going to pay our asking price for him. The Royals? They may sell now. The Giants and Mets appear to be happy with what they have. The Indians possibly, but they also look like they'll be content to hold onto what they have. I thought the Astros would be interested originally, but with Gurriel in the fold that doesn't fit anymore. He's been too productive at the lead-off spot to move him just for the sake of trading him. We could apply that same mindset this offseason or next deadline if it came down to it. 

Bullpens are so freaking volatile I don't think you can ever plan a formula for a successful pen. There's no way to build one safely. None. 

I don't expect this team to contend next year, but I don't expect Arte to at least give Eppler directive to try and stay in the mix. 

LIGHT THAT BABY UP!!

Got distracted by Bernie and the rest for awhile.

Watched the final four innings in KC without sound on the computer screen while the TV was stuck in Philly, but I listened to Albert's chat with Jose. Hector and the pen certainly rose to the occasion. I haven't posted the lighted halo since last week, so here goes:

:light-up-the-halo-o:

Hope I get to do this Tuesday, too.