• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Rumor: Pomeranz to the Red Sox

ettin

1 hour ago, nate said:

They traded a top 15 prospect in baseball for him.  Holy shit Eppler ship out Shoe STAT!

This move should absolutely destroy any argument anyone could make against selling. Numerous pundits have suggested it will be a sellers' market this July and it sure as hell looks like it now. This is an awful deal for the Red Sox, Pomeranz is pretty good but there is no way at all he is worth Espinoza. None of the parts we would realistically trade would will be good enough to bring back someone of Espinoza's quality, but Pomeranz wouldn't be worth THAT much more than Shoemaker at the moment and this is an indication that we can get a pretty good prospect back for Shoe. It is absolutely the time to trade him and Escobar, probably along with Santiago.

The youngest player in the South Atlantic League has flashed brilliance; remember, he’s just 18.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-top-100-prospects/#otL3M5j2QYbLkPeC.99

Good trade for Red Sox who need SP along with David Price.

Pomeranz is going to a hitters park in a hitters division from a pitchers park.

This kid is in A ball years away from MLB & the Sox haven't had success at developing SP recently.

I'm kind of on the other side of this fence and I feel like the Padres should have gotten a little more. Esperanza, despite his excellent prospect pedigree, is still just an 18 year old in A ball who is still relatively far away from the Majors (although I could see him up as soon as 2019). Two and a half years of Pomeranz for one good A ball prospect just seems light to me. If it had been Espinoza plus another mid-tier prospect I would have felt like it was balanced.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

I'm kind of on the other side of this fence and I feel like the Padres should have gotten a little more. Esperanza, despite his excellent prospect pedigree, is still just an 18 year old in A ball who is still relatively far away from the Majors (although I could see him up as soon as 2019). Two and a half years of Pomeranz for one good A ball prospect just seems light to me. If it had been Espinoza plus another mid-tier prospect I would have felt like it was balanced.

They got one of the best 20 prospects in baseball for a guy who has never had a good full MLB season, or pitched more than 100 innings in a year prior to this year. The Sox got fleeced.

19 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Unless they win it all, there is a good chance you're right. But if they do, it's worth it. They obviously have the ammo to try.

I get them doing for it, but this trade still doesn't add up. I can't help but think they'd have been better off using him to try to get Lucroy (or a better pitcher).

56 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

They got one of the best 20 prospects in baseball for a guy who has never had a good full MLB season, or pitched more than 100 innings in a year prior to this year. The Sox got fleeced.

MLB Top 100 had him at 34th. Baseball America had him 19th. Baseball Prospectus had him 73rd. Sickels had him 34th.

These are all 2016 lists.

Again I personally feel the Padres should have asked for one more mid-tier but hey we all have our opinions. Either way it is a big domino falling off the board in the pitching trade market so more action is likely to follow.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I agree. I wouldn't move Shoemaker one for one for Espinoza. Too big a risk Espinoza will never amount to anything.

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

I agree. I wouldn't move Shoemaker one for one for Espinoza. Too big a risk Espinoza will never amount to anything.

So Shoemaker can finish his tenure pitching for losing teams?  No point in keeping him, the Angels wont make the playoffs before he is a FA.

9 minutes ago, nate said:

So Shoemaker can finish his tenure pitching for losing teams?  No point in keeping him, the Angels wont make the playoffs before he is a FA.

This. The thing with an 18y prospect is he can move up into the top10 of all prospects very quickly & since he's highly touted already at 18 he must be pretty dang good if he stays healthy.

17 minutes ago, nate said:

He's under four more years of team control? You really feel that the Angels can't get back into contention before then?

Also that 18 year old prospect very likely won't be in the Majors for a full season until 2019 which would be the year before Trout leaves. Don't get me wrong I think Espinoza is a good prospect but he doesn't align with Mike Trout's controllable years.

2017 is starting to take better shape. Tyler Skaggs is running a 17.3% K%-BB% ratio with a 1.12 WHIP since his return and if Shoemaker can maintain the dominance he's shown lately the two of them could be the front of our rotation next year. Sign a couple of free agents and maybe a closer like Jansen and suddenly 2017 looks a lot more competitive than it does right now. I'm starting to warm up to the possibilities but a lot rides on what Eppler does right now with our tradeable pieces.

Just now, ettin said:

He's under four more years of team control? You really feel that the Angels can't get back into contention before then?

Also that 18 year old prospect very likely won't be in the Majors for a full season until 2019 which would be the year before Trout leaves. Don't get me wrong I think Espinoza is a good prospect but he doesn't align with Mike Trout's controllable years.

2017 is starting to take better shape. Tyler Skaggs is running a 17.3% K%-BB% ratio with a 1.12 WHIP since his return and if Shoemaker can maintain the dominance he's shown lately the two of them could be the front of our rotation next year. Sign a couple of free agents and maybe a closer like Jansen and suddenly 2017 looks a lot more competitive than it does right now. I'm starting to warm up to the possibilities but a lot rides on what Eppler does right now with our tradeable pieces.

2020-2021 is when the window opens again IMO.

If the Angels really intend to compete in 2019 like Eppler is saying, they probably shouldn't trade Shoe unless they're absolutely overwhelmed with young, major league type talent in AA or higher.  That just isn't going to happen.  So let's hold out hope that we can roll out Richards, Skaggs, Tropeano, Shoemaker and Santiago next year, because that's a pretty solid rotation.  If Eppler holds true to his word that they intend to compete and not rebuild, I'm expecting him to be active in acquiring talent via trade and very active in free agency with the 50 million+ coming off the books. 

27 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

When looking at holes in contender lineups, the most obvious fit seems to be sending Soto to Cleveland.  Their catchers hit like Angels LFers. 

Why would Cleveland look at Soto with Lucroy on the market.  The problem with adding a catcher is that it will take some time to adapt to calling their pitchers.

2 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Why would Cleveland look at Soto with Lucroy on the market.  The problem with adding a catcher is that it will take some time to adapt to calling their pitchers.

They don't need to spend Lucoy money to upgrade. They just need a non-blackhole bat. 

21 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Because not every team can have Lucroy, maybe?

4 hours ago, nate said:

2020-2021 is when the window opens again IMO.

Or they trade the prospects they got from the trade for young proven players.

Especially if the prospects value goes up after getting them in a trade they can then flip them for a more proven player of higher value than Shoemaker.

IT'S OFFICIAL: RED SOX ACQUIRE DREW POMERANZ 

The Red Sox have acquired left-handed starting pitcher Drew Pomeranz in a deal that sends prospect Anderson Espinoza to the Padres.

The 27-year-old Pomeranz was named to the National League All-Star team in a breakout season in which he is 8-7 in 17 starts, with the 4th best ERA in the majors at 2.47. The No. 5 overall pick by the Indians in the 2010 Draft, Pomeranz is 22-31 with a 3.66 ERA in 124 games (66 starts) in six seasons with the Rockies, A's and Padres.