• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who does Lincecum replace in the rotation?

43 minutes ago, LightTheHalo said:

Shoemaker
Tropeano
Weaver
Chacin
Santiago

Is there an obvious odd man out?

its not going to.be Weaver.  Shoemaker has pitched four straight solid to excellent games.  Trop has been our best pitcher this year.  Santiago is struggling but he has the best upside of any in the rotation.  my bet is Chacin.  

Ok, so I've learned what's logical, at least in my mind, is hardly ever done.  To me, it's logical to boot Weaver from the rotation in favor of Timmy.  But the organization simply wouldn't do that.  The next logical decision would be to covert Santiago to relief, where this team is desperately in need, but again, they've had opportunities to do this in the past and the Angels seem confident in Santiago as a starter.  With Shoe pitching as well as he is, they won't be booting him from the rotation. 

This this brings us down to Tropeano vs. Chacin.  Through 4 starts, Chacin has a 3.42 ERA and a 3.39 FIP, which suggests through this small sample size that he's legitimately performing.  Tropeano has a 3.25 ERA through 10 starts but his peripherals indicate there's a degree of luck involved.  I'd argue that it's moxie more than anything.  But regardless the end result so far has been VERY good. 

The simple difference here is that Tropeano has options, and can be sent to AAA. The Angels will sent him back to Salt Lake, even though that's probably the dumbest move they can make. 

There's really not a bad decision is this scenario wether you agree with it or not.

My belief is the FO will do what's best for the team to win. I believe Weavers role as a leader is under estimated here. That doesn't mean he's not on a short leash. Just a little bit longer that others for a variety of reasons.

Why does Lincecum have to be guaranteed a rotation spot? He's been mediocre at best the last 4 years in a pitcher's park in the NL. Unless he's lighting it up in the minors and/or he's really showing the scouts something to work with, then I don't really get it. 

Also, Angels scouts. Lolllll

Why does Lincecum have to be guaranteed a rotation spot? He's been mediocre at best the last 4 years in a pitcher's park in the NL. Unless he's lighting it up in the minors and/or he's really showing the scouts something to work with, then I don't really get it.  

Also, Angels scouts. Lolllll 

Because the opportunity to start was probably the only reason he signed here in the first place.  Trading Santiago probably makes the most sense, but with both Weaver and Wilson leaving after this season, they'll probably hold on to him, and option Tropeano.

I guess it all comes down to how confident they are in Santiago to reestablish himself as a decent major league starter. He has the stuff for it... apparently only on some days.

His track record has always been as a swing man, and he is not a long term asset to the club. It might be time to move him to the pen and see if he can find the consistency there that he hasn't found in the rotation. If the team keeps him in the rotation and he can't find success again then he will have little value to other teams on the trade market and even less value to this team on the field. In the bullpen I think there is a better chance.

my guess is that someone will suddenly need to go to the DL about the same time they decide to call up Lincecum. they'll give him a few starts here to see how things go, and then decide what to do next, whether to keep him and move someone to the pen or release him if he doesn't seem to be working out as hoped.