• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Andrelton Simmons Effect

photo simmons_1280_hfgxfgg6_fg4flybt - Copy_zpsqiavvwtm.png

By Christian Ilten, AngelsWin.com Writer - 

It is no secret that in at least one position so far this season, the Angels definitely have gotten stronger defensively. The acquisition of shortstop Andrelton Simmons in exchange for shortstop Erick Aybar and top pitching prospects Sean Newcomb and Chris Ellis (sent to the Atlanta Braves) has truly paid off for the Angels defense so far, as Simmons has brought his highlight-reel play to center stage in Anaheim, California.

Angels fans might have been hesitant when the team traded away Aybar (32), who had spent ten years in Anaheim before being dealt to Atlanta. Since the trade, though, the 2014 All-Star has struggled in his transition to National League Baseball. Through nineteen games in 2016 Aybar is batting .155 in seventy-five plate appearances, with just three doubles and one run batted in.

Simmons, 26, has been known as one of the best defensive shortstops in the game since his debut with Atlanta in 2012. Just twenty-one games into his Angels career, Simmons has put on quite the show on the field as well. The most impressive of his plays so far under the halo might have taken place on Saturday, April 23rd, as the Angels hosted the Seattle Mariners. With a man on third and two outs, Nelson Cruz skied a bloop fly ball into mid left field, and with Raphael Ortega playing the slugger deep in left, Simmons had to cover some extra ground on the fly ball, basically becoming a fourth outfielder. Simmons then made an over the shoulder catch for the ages. Then, Simmons did it again... this time to Salvador Perez of the Kansas City Royals three days later. The catch forced Fox Sports West (TV home for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) play-by-play broadcaster Victor Rojas to beg the question: "Are you serious?" While his glove is to be credited for most of his highlight-reel plays, the cannon he has for an arm assists as well, making throws from deep in the hole to first base.

From his debut to the end of 2015, Andrelton Simmons had 113 DRS, or Defensive Runs Saved. Aybar's defensive runs saved in that same span (2012-2015)? -10. Simmons' best year in that time period was 2013, when he had a DRS of 41, while Aybar's best year in that same time period was 3 in 2012 in that category. All of a sudden, the numbers start making it clear why the Angels decided to make this big move. In 2015 Aybar's DRS for the Angels was -3, while Simmons for the Braves was 25. So far in 2016, Aybar has posted a -1 DRS for the Braves, while Simmons already has put up a 6 for the Angels.

photo Aybar_zpsogxicsmx.jpg

Even when Andrelton Simmons does not have the ball, he still is able to play great defense. On April 24th, with a man on first (Leonys Martin) and no one out, Ketel Marte of the Seattle Mariners flied a ball to center field. While although the ball was clearly on a route to center fielder Mike Trout, Simmons pretended as if he was fielding a ground ball and fooled Martin who would eventually be doubled up when Trout threw the ball to first baseman C.J. Cron. With Simmons' fake ground ball pick up, Martin had no idea where the ball was. While although it will not show up on any statistics sheet, Simmons clearly does not need the ball to have an effect on the game.

Andrelton Simmons' biggest thing to work on is still his offense. A career .255 hitter, Simmons will not be accused of being a slugger in any definition of the word. While although he has only driven in four runs to this point, he has saved six runs from going up on the board against the Angels. With a WAR (Wins Above Replacement, measuring how many more wins a team will get using a player instead of any other player in that position) in his career is 17.6. Simmons WAR, which has been highly touted by the sabermetric minds of the sport as the best evaluation of a player, still has him at the top of the list of shortstops, despite his offensive woes.

The Angels will definitely look to improve his offense, in a lineup that is desperate for some extra bats, throughout 2016 and beyond. Having players like veteran Albert Pujols and super-star Mike Trout in the same lineup would pose an opportunity for Simmons to learn a few things on offense to possibly better his game. If Simmons were able to improve his batting average even just to somewhere between .270 and .280, along with his defense, the 26 year old shortstop could become an extremely vital piece of the Angels lineup.

The acquisition of Andrelton Simmons could definitely continue to benefit the Angels, who have control of Simmons for the four years following the still young 2016 season. The Angels have many questions still surrounding them when it comes to their team in 2016 and beyond, but the shortstop position is clearly not one of them as Andrelton Simmons continues to make highlight-reel plays.

Statistics found at Fangraphs.com, Baseball-Reference.com.
VD3pdebxcYY

View the full article

Angel25Fan Jr. wrote this by the way. 

As far as Simmons, I'm very happy with the trade so far. 

Aybar looks like dogshit and Newcomb is battling even worse control issues than last season with the Braves. 

14 walks in 20 innings is no bueno! 

Thanks, Eppy! 

Aybar looks like dogshit and Newcomb is battling even worse control issues than last season with the Braves. 

Thanks, Eppy! 

I agree. Simmons is doing fine, minus any power in the bat. As far as Newcomb, you would have thought they traded away Kershaw in the deal based on many Angel fans reactions..  

Edited by Angels N Skins

Of the two, Chris Ellis is looking like the better prospect out of the gate for the Braves, though even he has battled command issues in the past. He's walked 8 batters across 4 starts so far, but has posted a solid 1.16 ERA. 

I agree. Simmons is doing fine, minus any power in the bat. As far as Newcomb, you would have thought they traded away Kershaw in the deal based on many Angel fans reactions..  

You never know. I remember watching some guy named Koufax, who couldn't throw strikes during his first couple of seasons.

Newcomb is a gamble. It's too early to write him off and it was too early to pencil him in to the HoF when we traded him away. A lot of pitchers do gain control later and a guy with Newcomb's stuff becomes an ace if he develops good control. But for most guys the control never comes. 

I think people didn't like the trade because they don't realize how valuable defense really is and thus how good Simmons is. To be more valuable than Simmons will be over the course of his five years here Newcomb would basically have to be 90% of what his ceiling is. Other than last year Simmons has been pretty much as valuable as Zach Greinke is for example. Simmons still has upside from that as well. 

Thanks, Eppy!

To be fair, Aybar is on the Braves. They suck like a black hole. I feel a bit sorry for him.

Simmons goes BOOM for the first time this season.

I tell ya, anything we get from his bat just magnifies his greatness. 

One HR/mo. magnifies his greatness?

He's made nice plays and exhibits great range but his D has had lapses this year. I'm guessing they are out of character.

So I see a young SS wearing #2 I assume he's a Jeter fan. Judging by his ABs this year I'd say he's trying to mimic the inside out swing and success Jeter had hitting the other way. Then somebody reminded him that even dreamy Derek turned on inside fastballs. Work in progress.

One HR/mo. magnifies his greatness?

He's made nice plays and exhibits great range but his D has had lapses this year. I'm guessing they are out of character.

Yes. 

Everything and anything in the way of production offensively that we get from Simmons increases his value as a top rate defensive first player. 

Simmons is the king of double plays. On defensive and offense.

That's going to happen when you put the ball in play, rather than striking out.

There are more chances of an error or that the ball gets through when you're making contact. 

I'll take it. 

Not to mention the fact that even if he does hit into double plays occasionally, he is involved in MANY more defensive DPs, by a large margin:

Season Team Games Ground into DP Defensive DP

2012     Braves   49             5                       31

2013     Braves  157           16                      86

2014     Braves  146           25                      92

2015     Braves  147           19                     116

2016     Angels   22             5                       11

Edited by Tipist

Not to mention the fact that even if he does hit into double plays occasionally, he is involved in MANY more defensive DPs, by a large margin:

2012 Braves 49 5 31

2013 Braves 157 16 86

2014 Braves 146 25 92

2015 Braves 147 19 116

2016 Angels 22 5 11

What does that even mean as far as production goes? Nearly all fielding DPs involve 2 players while when he hits into one it's all in him.

Not only that but anytime there is a man on first and less than 2 outs he has a chance to turn a DP. On offense he only has a chance to hit into one when he is up (1 out of 9 times).

What does that even mean as far as production goes? Nearly all fielding DPs involve 2 players while when he hits into one it's all in him.

Not only that but anytime there is a man on first and less than 2 outs he has a chance to turn a DP. On offense he only has a chance to hit into one when he is up (1 out of 9 times).

I'm too busy at work to really try and play with numbers on my own, but all I'm trying to say really is that he saves more runs with his defensive double plays than he loses from grounding into double plays. 

2012     Braves   49             5                       31

2013     Braves  157           16                      86

2014     Braves  146           25                      92

2015     Braves  147           19                     116

2016     Angels   22             5                       11

Well, yes, but obviously that has to be normalized against a standard player in that position, or at least against a standard angels replacement (either a "prospect" or aybar).