• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

3 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Matt Thaiss and Jordan Zimmerman promoted to Burlington.

I was wondering when that was going to happen. If they do well there I can see them both skipping High-A next year and starting off in Double-A. 

Montgomery and Lund (when he's healthy) could get promoted soon too I'm guessing. 

Who is taking Thaiss and Zimmerman's place in Orem?

40 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I was wondering when that was going to happen. If they do well there I can see them both skipping High-A next year and starting off in Double-A. 

Montgomery and Lund (when he's healthy) could get promoted soon too I'm guessing. 

Who is taking Thaiss and Zimmerman's place in Orem?

The two guys from ASU.

The general MO of the Angels is to take their top collegiate hitters and move them to Inland Empire for a full year. Their pitchers and second tier hitters will spend a half season in Burlington then a half season in A+. They all join up in AA the next season, at least the ones that progress as expected.

The schedule for the top prep talent is a year in AZ, a year in Orem, a year in Burlington, then half at IE and half in Arkansas, then another half in Arkansas, and half at Salt Lake, then the majors.

It changes with every player though. But the general plan is for collegiate players to reach the majors at 24, prep players at 23.

AZL

Chris Rodriguez struck out 5 in 2ip.  0h, 0r.  17yo rher.  4th rounder this year.  

Orem

Gibbons 1-4, bb in his debut.  hit 5th, sb

Ramer led off.  1-5 with a throwing error.  

Lund 1-5

Jones 2-3, bb, 2sb, cs

Monty 2-4, 3sbs.  

DSL

gm 1

Rivas 2-2, 2b, 2bb, 2sb (19).  963ops.  

A

Hermosillo 3-5, double.  cs.  

Thaiss 3-6, 2 doubles in his debut

Foster 3-5, double

Zimm 0-5, bb in his debut. 

A+

Fletcher 2-4, double.  

Ward 0-2, bb

Jason Hoppe 2ip, 1h, 0er, 5k

AA

Forrestt Allday 3-4, double, bb

Middleton 1ip, 0h, 1k.  12ip, 4h, 4bb and 21k in his last 10 appearances.  perfect at AA so far.  Seems to have found himself.  

AAA

Sherman 2-5.  up to .247 at AAA.  with an ops of .810 overall.  

McGowin 6ip, 5h, 4er, 2bb, 5k.  5.81 era at AAA.  

A few absolute massacres today.  SLC lost 11-2, The travs lost 17-6, and the IE lost 17-0.  Orem still rollin' with a 10-9 win.  AZL won as well.  9-6 and Burlington lost 5-4.  

Good to see Vega back in there for the AZL.  3-5

Gabriel Santana 3-5

Orem

Ramer 3-4, double, sb, e (2nd in 2 games)

Justus 2-5

Jones 2-5

Lund 0-5.  only his 2nd game without a hit.  had a 7 game multi hit streak at one point and is still hitting .438 in his first 64 at bats.  

Gibbons 4-5, sb

Ryan Scott 2-4, 2b, hr, bb.  

A

Thaiss 0-5.  season over

Foster 0-2, 2bb.  

Hermosillo 2-4

Zimm 0-3

A+

got 3 hits and gave up 17 runs.  

AA

got pounded

AAA

Cowart 0-2, bb.  Down to .277.  4 for his last 37. 

I know this is a little late Doc, but I did end up asking around about Lund and Vega.  Both were completely healthy.  The organization just has a ton of kids they want to take a look at before Spring Training, and since those two are already proving their worth, they let them rest for a few days while the others got in the game.  Vega should continue to get his fair share of rests while Lund figures to play more frequently now that both Thaiss and Zimmerman moved up to A Ball, where they joined Kaelin.

Kaelin looks pretty solid.  High effort delivery, sitting 93-94 on the radar gun with a sharp curve.  There's still some caution there that he may need TJ surgery eventually.  He had a partially torn UCL as a freshman in college and never had it operated on.  He rehabbed it until it felt better, but there's still the strong possibility that the ligament will eventually tear.  But as long as he keeps pumping heat he should climb fast. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I saw that -- glad to see it.    I hope McGowin and Ruxler end the season strong.

They both have similar upside. Ruxer's changeup should play up better and he has better command of his pitches, but the fastball, breaking ball and even their build and general demeanor appear to be strikingly similar. 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Promotion to Burlington by August 1, if this keeps up?

Burlington isn't in line for a playoff spot, and Jones is still young.  He'll be at Burlington next year as a 20 year old.  The Angels tend to handle their prospects with kiddy gloves.  They used to be the most conservative team in terms of promoting talent, they'd keep a guy at a level for three years even if he was hitting .350 just to work on one thing.  But they found that more often than not, this was short-sighted and frequently resulted in shot confidence and stalled progression.  

Once Dipoto arrived, they did away with this policy, but the team remained on the more conservative end of the spectrum.  Now that Eppler's in charge, we'll see how it goes.  Something tells me he'll be too conservative as well. 

In this specific case, Jones was the superstar of minor league camp in Spring Training, coming in having grown so much as a player over the winter.  More successful organizations would've pushed him to A ball this year and potentially Advanced A Ball by the end of the year.  But the Angels simply don't have the infrastructure or track record to develop the type of prospect who can rise that quickly.  And so we see jones, who can be a star in the league, still in Orem. 

i don't blame them for being gun shy.  But I do blame them for a relative inability to judge whether or not a player is ready and instead opting to stick to a script of development that is enforced for every player, even though every player doesn't fit that simplistic mold.

Thaiss is Kole Calhoun if we're lucky, meaning he'll go to A+ Ball and play 1B and corner OF (like Kole did) and skip AA (like Kole did) and straight to AAA for the majority of the year before finding himself in Anaheim (like Kole did). If we're lucky, he'll be a regular in our lineup at age 23 in 2018.

In a highly surprising move, the Angels have promoted Hermosillo to Inland Empire.  This kid has really put it together this year.  he was expected to play for Orem again as a 21 year old.  Through a bit of a roster crunch, the Angels ended up sending him to Burlington, where he's lit the world on fire there.  Now in Advanced A Ball as a 21 year old, and Hermosillo had a heck of first game.  Perhaps this is the LF we've been waiting for. 

44 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

In a highly surprising move, the Angels have promoted Hermosillo to Inland Empire.  This kid has really put it together this year.  he was expected to play for Orem again as a 21 year old.  Through a bit of a roster crunch, the Angels ended up sending him to Burlington, where he's lit the world on fire there.  Now in Advanced A Ball as a 21 year old, and Hermosillo had a heck of first game.  Perhaps this is the LF we've been waiting for. 

Awesome. Good news! 

CF Troy Montgomery and SS Connor Justus just got the call up to Burlington today.  And now over half of the Bees lineup insists of players who were in Orem just last week. 

CF Troy Montgomery, 1B Matt Thaiss, RF Brennon Lund, 2B Jordan Zimmerman, SS Connor Justus. 

What's more is, these guys are actually all finding degrees of success in A Ball.  Montgomery hit leadoff and stole a base in his first game.  Matt Thaiss is hitting over .300 with 5 doubles in 10 games and has more walks than hits.  Lund is hitting over .400 and has 3 SB in 5 games.