• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Point Counterpoint: Feel the Freese?

AngelsWin.com

Im not sure it's possible to sign Freeze and not go over the CBT threshold.

The big issue for us comes down to giving up draft picks and going over the CBT. None of the low level free agents are particularly worth either one on their own. Freeze and Fowler would be worth going over the CBT for, but would they be worth breaking the CBT and losing the first round pick? The team should have blown past both in order to minimize the marginal impact of each. Since they haven't done that these lesser players are all faced with a relatively significant hill to climb over before being signed. In turn they also don't represent all that significant of upgrades.

What draft pick would we lose if we resign our own player?  

Now the sticking point maybe Freese.  He maybe holding out for more than we could afford.

What draft pick would we lose if we resign our own player?  

Now the sticking point maybe Freese.  He maybe holding out for more than we could afford.

I worded that poorly. Signing Freese and Fowler would result in us going over the CBT and losing our first pick (from Fowler). Freese alone will just push us over the CBT threshold. 

Freese and Fowler are solid but minor upgrades. On their own I don't think they are significant enough to push us over the top, but together they might. I think each is probably a 1.5 win upgrade over where we are now, so three wins total, which I think probably takes us from around 81 to around 84.

The dude was a ML SS for a decade. I'd be willing to risk that he can out-D Gia in his sleep.

This was also my thoughts when we first signed him was moving him to second he had great hands and feet around the bag and could turn the double play with the best of them. Having him and Simmons up the middle could also provide some highlight reel double plays....Just sayin!~

This was also my thoughts when we first signed him was moving him to second he had great hands and feet around the bag and could turn the double play with the best of them. Having him and Simmons up the middle could also provide some highlight reel double plays....Just sayin!~

This is the thing with sliding Escobar to 2B... He hasn't played 2B since 2007, so there is essentially no data to project Escobar at 2B in 2016. 

What we do know from 2015 defensive metrics:

• Escobar's one year of 3B in 2015 was terrible according to both DRS and UZR.
  • Giavotella's one year of 2B in 2015 was beyond terrible according to both DRS and UZR.
  • Freese's two years of 3B in 2014 and 2015 were league average according to both DRS and UZR.

So, even if Escobar is as bad as Giavotella at 2B defensively (unlikely), he is probably a better offensive 2B (OBP and OPS specifically).

It's not unreasonable to think that in 2016 Freese at 3B and Escobar at 2B is a superior combination both offensively and defensively to Escobar at 3B and Giavotella at 2B.

This is the thing with sliding Escobar to 2B... He hasn't played 2B since 2007, so there is essentially no data to project Escobar at 2B in 2016. 

What we do know from 2015 defensive metrics:

• Escobar's one year of 3B in 2015 was terrible according to both DRS and UZR.
  • Giavotella's one year of 2B in 2015 was beyond terrible according to both DRS and UZR.
  • Freese's two years of 3B in 2014 and 2015 were league average according to both DRS and UZR.

So, even if Escobar is as bad as Giavotella at 2B defensively (unlikely), he is probably a better offensive 2B (OBP and OPS specifically).

It's not unreasonable to think that in 2016 Freese at 3B and Escobar at 2B is a superior combination both offensively and defensively to Escobar at 3B and Giavotella at 2B.

Can you submit this post to Eppy so he can get on it?

I would only be interested in resigning Freese if we go ahead and get Austin Jackson as well. That would give us 'improvements' at 3B, 2B, and LF for the offseason, and while it would be minimal and risky, it would be cheap and covers basically what we hoped to do at the start.

Otherwise use the payroll flexibility and competitions to our advantage and determine the viability of Gia, Cowbitza, and the LF group going forward.

Edited by totdprods

Never understood the hate freese recieved from angels fans. Dude always seemed to come up with clutch hits and was one of the main reasons we stayed alive in the 2nd half.

.829 Ops in the 2nd half and .821 ops with risp overall.

Yea he gets injured a lot, but he still is a lock to play 120-140 games.

Edited by Mr. Meeseeks

Never understood the hate freese recieved from angels fans. Dude always seemed to come up with clutch hits and was one of the main reasons we stayed alive in the 2nd half.

.829 Ops in the 2nd half and .821 ops with risp overall.

Yea he gets injured a lot, but he still is a lock to play 120 games.

Is this something to expect from him?