• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Selling Angels Baseball Card Set

Brandon

man this thread is somewhat depressing.

i too have a mountain ton of cards: baseball, hockey and baketball. maybe are unopened boxes, full sets, a zillion rookie cards and inserts, etc. 

that was my life for a long time as a youngster. going to card shops (there was on on la palma near euclid), card conventions at anaheim convention center, etc. buying becketts and looking up prices, trades, etc. man those were fun times.

and now what seemed to be infinite riches, is probably worth, not infinite riches. ;) 

doesn't take away the fun. and the great memories. but clearly it was not a money making endeavor, even though at age 9 all thought if we just hang on to them....

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

we had a garage sale on Saturday, and I put a post on craigslist friday about my cards.

The basketball cards sold - 1987 fleer complete set, 1988 fleer complete set, 1978 and 1979 topps complete sets, and some 1987 fleer commons.

One guy bought all that, and three cal ripken rookies, for $450.  He probably got a real good deal, but I got some cash.  Sold some various other random stuff.

if you don't mind me asking, how did you come to the price? that seems to be my big thing with how i want to package all these tubs.

was it something you listed for $500 and he said $450 or he just offered you $450?

glad to see craigslist still works.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

if you don't mind me asking, how did you come to the price? that seems to be my big thing with how i want to package all these tubs.

was it something you listed for $500 and he said $450 or he just offered you $450?

glad to see craigslist still works.

I meant to keep it short, but since you asked:

At 7:00, a guy shows up, from Torrance, saw my craigslist ad.  Asian guy collects with his daughter.

He looks through my basketball sets, and I decide to do it American Pickers style: Agree on a price for each item, I have a notebook, and I add them up.  As for the individual prices, on say, the price of the Topps 1979 basketball – I would google the item, and he and I would just spitball a price, and I write it down.  A LOT of guesswork involved.  The combined total was $505. I threw in some good 1987 Fleer commons as well as a goodwill gesture.

He also paid me $25 for an ancient Leroy Parmalee Goudey card I had.  He paid me $25, then said he was going to Chase to get cash for the $505.

15 minutes goes by.  30.  An hour.  He isn’t showing up.  My wife is like – “he isn’t coming back.” I say of course he is.  I definitely thought he was coming back.

What’s bad is if he doesn’t show up, not only am I out the $505, my radar is faulty.  I just can’t believe I read this guy wrong, and he is a flake.  That is maybe even worse.  But he is Asian!  He collects with his daughter!   I thought for sure he’d come back.

Fast forward an hour, and I am telling the story to my neighbor.  There is another guy looking at my cards.  I have held out the Asian guy’s cards, and this guy is looking at some others, some 1989 Jordans, some Cal Ripkens, some others, and we are agreeing and listing each individual sale.  It comes out to $140.

The new guy has heard the story about my first guy flaking.  I ask if he wants to take a look at those cards worth $505.  He does.   He looks for a few minutes, and he offers me $400, for both his cards (negotiated at $140) and the $505 cards.

I counter with $450.  He accepts.  I am happy to get the money, but its still a bit of a haircut from what I originally envisioned.  If I was thinking quicker, I would have offered the $450, and taken back a 1989 Jordan or some of the 1987 commons.

The Asian guy never showed.

31 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I meant to keep it short, but since you asked:

At 7:00, a guy shows up, from Torrance, saw my craigslist ad.  Asian guy collects with his daughter.

He looks through my basketball sets, and I decide to do it American Pickers style: Agree on a price for each item, I have a notebook, and I add them up.  As for the individual prices, on say, the price of the Topps 1979 basketball – I would google the item, and he and I would just spitball a price, and I write it down.  A LOT of guesswork involved.  The combined total was $505. I threw in some good 1987 Fleer commons as well as a goodwill gesture.

He also paid me $25 for an ancient Leroy Parmalee Goudey card I had.  He paid me $25, then said he was going to Chase to get cash for the $505.

15 minutes goes by.  30.  An hour.  He isn’t showing up.  My wife is like – “he isn’t coming back.” I say of course he is.  I definitely thought he was coming back.

What’s bad is if he doesn’t show up, not only am I out the $505, my radar is faulty.  I just can’t believe I read this guy wrong, and he is a flake.  That is maybe even worse.  But he is Asian!  He collects with his daughter!   I thought for sure he’d come back.

Fast forward an hour, and I am telling the story to my neighbor.  There is another guy looking at my cards.  I have held out the Asian guy’s cards, and this guy is looking at some others, some 1989 Jordans, some Cal Ripkens, some others, and we are agreeing and listing each individual sale.  It comes out to $140.

The new guy has heard the story about my first guy flaking.  I ask if he wants to take a look at those cards worth $505.  He does.   He looks for a few minutes, and he offers me $400, for both his cards (negotiated at $140) and the $505 cards.

I counter with $450.  He accepts.  I am happy to get the money, but its still a bit of a haircut from what I originally envisioned.  If I was thinking quicker, I would have offered the $450, and taken back a 1989 Jordan or some of the 1987 commons.

The Asian guy never showed.

rookie mistake.

everyone knows you always take the asian kid as collateral while you wait for the parents to hit the atm.

plus she could brush up your kids math skills while you wait.

• 3 years later...
On 8/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, Stradling said:

Anyone collecting cards these days?   

I'm not, but I still have a set of every one of Tim Salmon's cards in mint condition in plastic coverings. I don't know why I do, but I do. 

Never did I think there would be a better homegrown Angels than King Fish. 

Boy was I wrong. 

• 6 months later...