• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Ideas...

Chuck

C.J. Wilson to the Yankees or Dodgers, clear up salary room. Perhaps land a decent prospect or reliever.

Hector Santiago and Kyle Kubitza for Brandon Phillips & Jay Bruce.

Or trade Santiago and a prospect for one of Josh Reddick, Will Myers, Jorge Soler, Ender Incarnte(sp?), Puig, Dickerson or Blackmon, Markakis, Javier Baez, Michael Taylor, Bradley Zimmer.

Or Matt Shoemaker straight up for Giants OF Jarrett Parker.

Let's see some of your ideas. Please stay on topic and keep the Arte, Sosh and Debbie Downer shit out of this thread.

This thread is to come up with trade ideas on how to improve the team short and/or long term.

Not sure of particulars because the worth it or rip off or fair trade is something I don't want to get into but like I already stated in another thread, trade 2 SP and Cron for a good, cost controlled OF.  It will probably have to be Heaney or Skaggs or both or Richards(if it comes to that) but if Arte wants to get cheap, trading SP is pretty much the only option.

I think you're overvaluing Santiago quite a bit. Like I don't get why Cleveland would give up Zimmer for another SP when they need bats. Myers, Soler, Inciarte, etc. all have way more value than Santiago. I still like the idea of Santiago (and maybe another piece) for Ethier and cash.

Maybe to offset the loss of Carrasco/Bauer/Salazar if they wind up dealing one of them?

I think you're overvaluing Santiago quite a bit. Like I don't get why Cleveland would give up Zimmer for another SP when they need bats. Myers, Soler, Inciarte, etc. all have way more value than Santiago. I still like the idea of Santiago (and maybe another piece) for Ethier and cash.

I believe he has way more value than you suggest.

Well... what do we have thats really tradeable?    Cron, Santiago, anything we deal likely comes from the ML roster which actually weakens us as much as it might help.  We cant rtade the young arms with Wilson /Weaver coming off soon so what can we really trade?  Start from there and it gets bleak fast. 

We can assume we will take on money obviously so... assuming someones bad deal is clearly out, so it has to be a trade that makes sense on merit alone and we are far from anyone top of the short list in that category.

I think the most obvious partner is the Dogs but they wont likely talk about a Wilson/Either or anything like that till they are convinced they cant get what they want elsewhere... plus they have tradeable commodities to go after better so we are let as the dumpster diving option there. 

I think our only hope was to take on cash of splash in FA, obviously thats out so i can say im optimistic in regards to this as an option.  I just dont really see almost anything that helps us for 2016 without hurting us in 2017. 

If we are truly going cheap then the best option is likely to trade Trout and fix the organization in a day and wish him luck.  Put the old Hershel Walker move into effect and rebuild.  We cant have it both ways at this point

Edited by floplag

The problem with trade ideas is that we generally have no idea who is available from other organizations.

That being said, if Arte is truly maxed out, I'd consider moving Santiago for either an excellent relief arm or two merely good arms (with at least two years of club control). That is the only trade I'd make at this time.

Come July, if the Angels are out of the race, I'd look to move Richards, Wilson, Santiago, Shoemaker, Calhoun and Escobar for prospects, with an eye toward competing again in 2018.

Come July, if the Angels are out of the race, I'd look to move Richards, Wilson, Santiago, Shoemaker, Calhoun and Escobar for prospects, with an eye toward competing again in 2018.

This may the plan already in the works, but with the FA class so heavy on SPs and OFs, they wouldn't be able to get max return trading those off. Probably better off waiting until deadline or even next offseason. 

Personally I think it is entirely plausible this team can do mini-rebuild 2016-17 without totally gutting the team and be ready to contend in '18.

We have enough young talent that's controllable through then to maintain a core, and maybe turn one piece like Calhoun or Skaggs/Heaney into multiple MLB ready pieces that can slot in '18. Use money the next few seasons on the farm, lower payroll, and prepare for the mega FA class in '18.

Only way I can conceive anyone eating a majority, or maybe all, of CJ's contract would be doing something crazy like adding Calhoun and go after a big money team like the Yankees. Get a few prospects and use the salary relief to go snag Parra/etc for RF. I can't think of any Yankee prospects that excite me enough to consider it though.

If the Angels want to receive significant value in trade, they need to offer significant value. Both Wilson (1 year) and Santiago (2 years) have value, but they won't return a young, cost-controlled OF or 2B of serious value either. Unless the Angels are willing to part with Richards, Heaney, or Calhoun the options are limited.

I think I would still consider a trade in which we sent Skaggs/Heaney for a big top OF prospect + a great pen prospect or a young BP arm (someone who has a lot of potential but maybe hasn't shown it over a couple stints) - but that was in a world where I thought the Angels could still make a play for FA SP. Could still be doable, but have to be someone way on the cheaper side now I guess.

Hector is pretty mediocre, not sure what the fascination is with him.  He's already 28 and last year was his first season throwing over 150 innings.  He's pretty much a .5 - 1 WAR pitcher with continually mediocre peripherals. 

The only reason he's outperformed his FIP numbers by nearly a full ERA point the last few years is his absurdly high strand rate (top 5 in baseball the past two seasons) and that he's an extreme fly ball pitcher pitching in an extreme fly ball friendly park.

Hector is pretty mediocre, not sure what the fascination is with him. He's already 28 and last year was his first season throwing over 150 innings. He's pretty much a .5 - 1 WAR pitcher with continually mediocre peripherals.

The only reason he's outperformed his FIP numbers by nearly a full ERA point the last few years is his absurdly high strand rate (top 5 in baseball the past two seasons) and that he's an extreme fly ball pitcher pitching in an extreme fly ball friendly park.

While I think Hector's true ability and potential is still rather murky, I think with his age, his cost, his lefthandedness, his versatility, and the potential for more give him an extra appeal. He has enough going for him that some teams would see him as a great opportunity, and some would see him as overrated.

All it takes is a team that can afford to give up what the Angels need that is looking for what they feel Santiago can be.

Edited by totdprods

I think one thing we know for sure is the Dodgers are going to move a outfielder. My guess would be Crawford as to who they want to unload.

$42M left on his contract 16-17

Trade Wilson's contract and get $20M

Dodgers save $2M and get a SP

Angels pay Crawford $12M for two years if you include saving $10M on Wilson's contract.

I like this, or CJ for Ethier. Maybe throw in some cash or one of our pieces of left field turds for compensation. But, the way I figure, both have overpriced contracts, both are slightly above average players (by WAR, they are almost identical, assuming you compare CJ's years as a starter to Ethier), and both fill a need on the other team. The only reason I'm saying offer a bit more is because of contract lengths, and the fact that ethier is a couple years younger.