• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter Meetings Final Day

Second Base

The Angels roster is still largely an unfinished product.  But I think Eppler showed a couple things this hot stove season. a. He's patient and willing to play his chances on the market, which wasn't the case with Simmons, but I think that shows how much he wanted Andrelton. and b. Eppler doesn't care about priorities, he'll fill the roster any time an opportunity arises, regardless of whether it's a pressing need or not. 

So here's a rundown of what happened in an exciting day for the Angels. 

1. The Angels selected Deolis Guerra and Ji-man Choi in the Rule 5 Draft.  Guerra realy doesn't look like anything special to me, except for the change up.  We'll see whether he impresses enough this Spring to earn a spot in the Angels bullpen.  Ji-man Choi was actually a pretty good signing by Eppler.  There's more power than we've seen from Choi, as he's still been refining his swing, coming back from injury and suspension.  But overall, we're looking at a VERY good hitter with the ability to reach base on a consistent basis.  If Albert isn't ready for the start of the season, we should see Choi get his opportunity.  Once Albert returns, Choi should be the first man off the bench. 

2. The Angels selected a few RP's in the minor league phase, including Blayne Weller, Ariel Ovando and D.J. Johnson in the minor league phase of the draft.  Weller is nothing of note besides a depth piece.  D.J. Johnson falls into the same category.  Ovando has a cool story attached to him.  He was once a highly touted position player that just switched to pitching this last year, with electric results....in Rookie Ball.  Still, from what I understand he can reach the mid to upper 90's.  The Angels will work him him at a higher level to see if they've caught lightning in a bottle. 

3. The Angels were a finalist for Jason Heyward, and then they weren't, but then they said that can change. This continues the pattern we've seen for several months now, that no one actually has ANY idea what the Angels are and aren't doing.  Not Heyman, not Rosenthal or Morosi, nor Brown, heck not even Scott Stedman.  I mean we can have fun predicting but I don't think anyone would've guessed Simmons, Gentry and Escobar a month ago. 

4. The Angels traded RHP's Trevor Gott and Michael Brady to the Nationals in return for Yunel Escobar and 1.5 milion dollars.  There's some debate as to whether Gott was a fluke or the beginning of something special.  We'll let Nats fans finish that debate for us.  Brady was a nice story but a non-prospect.  Escobar meanwhile, is coming off his best professional season, can play a solid 3B, SS and 2B, gets on base, doesn't strike out much, and is only making 5.5 million this year after the money the Nats sent.  He also has a 7 million dollars option next year that seems like a strong wager for the Angels to pick up.  In Escobar, the Angels have landed their 3B, and it came at a much cheaper price than David Freese, but still gives the Angels the opportunity to move him to 2B if they resign Freese or if Cowart or Kubitza prove they're ready for 3B.  The Angels got better defensively at 3B, and found their leadoff hitter.  Probably the best move of the offseason so far for Billy Eppler. 

The Winter Meetings have come to a conclusion, one which saw a lot of inactivity from the Angels, but a wild final day.  Intriguing note, NONE of the top OF free agents have signed yet, and the Angels don't have a LF yet either.  We also aren't sure if they'll exceed the Luxury Tax.  In the coming weeks, we should hear the Angels connected to every OF's name until someone actually gets it right. 

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

The Angels roster is still largely an unfinished product.  But I think Eppler showed a couple things this hot stove season. a. He's patient and willing to play his chances on the market, which wasn't the case with Simmons, but I think that shows how much he wanted Andrelton. and b. Eppler doesn't care about priorities, he'll fill the roster any time an opportunity arises, regardless of whether it's a pressing need or not. 

So here's a rundown of what happened in an exciting day for the Angels. 

1. The Angels selected Deolis Guerra and Ji-man Choi in the Rule 5 Draft.  Guerra realy doesn't look like anything special to me, except for the change up.  We'll see whether he impresses enough this Spring to earn a spot in the Angels bullpen.  Ji-man Choi was actually a pretty good signing by Eppler.  There's more power than we've seen from Choi, as he's still been refining his swing, coming back from injury and suspension.  But overall, we're looking at a VERY good hitter with the ability to reach base on a consistent basis.  If Albert isn't ready for the start of the season, we should see Choi get his opportunity.  Once Albert returns, Choi should be the first man off the bench. 

2. The Angels selected a few RP's in the minor league phase, including Blayne Weller, Ariel Ovando and D.J. Johnson in the minor league phase of the draft.  Weller is nothing of note besides a depth piece.  D.J. Johnson falls into the same category.  Ovando has a cool story attached to him.  He was once a highly touted position player that just switched to pitching this last year, with electric results....in Rookie Ball.  Still, from what I understand he can reach the mid to upper 90's.  The Angels will work him him at a higher level to see if they've caught lightning in a bottle. 

3. The Angels were a finalist for Jason Heyward, and then they weren't, but then they said that can change. This continues the pattern we've seen for several months now, that no one actually has ANY idea what the Angels are and aren't doing.  Not Heyman, not Rosenthal or Morosi, nor Brown, heck not even Scott Stedman.  I mean we can have fun predicting but I don't think anyone would've guessed Simmons, Gentry and Escobar a month ago. 

4. The Angels traded RHP's Trevor Gott and Michael Brady to the Nationals in return for Yunel Escobar and 1.5 milion dollars.  There's some debate as to whether Gott was a fluke or the beginning of something special.  We'll let Nats fans finish that debate for us.  Brady was a nice story but a non-prospect.  Escobar meanwhile, is coming off his best professional season, can play a solid 3B, SS and 2B, gets on base, doesn't strike out much, and is only making 5.5 million this year after the money the Nats sent.  He also has a 7 million dollars option next year that seems like a strong wager for the Angels to pick up.  In Escobar, the Angels have landed their 3B, and it came at a much cheaper price than David Freese, but still gives the Angels the opportunity to move him to 2B if they resign Freese or if Cowart or Kubitza prove they're ready for 3B.  The Angels got better defensively at 3B, and found their leadoff hitter.  Probably the best move of the offseason so far for Billy Eppler. 

The Winter Meetings have come to a conclusion, one which saw a lot of inactivity from the Angels, but a wild final day.  Intriguing note, NONE of the top OF free agents have signed yet, and the Angels don't have a LF yet either.  We also aren't sure if they'll exceed the Luxury Tax.  In the coming weeks, we should hear the Angels connected to every OF's name until someone actually gets it right. 

Weeks? I'd say days. I think we get our LF by the end of the weekend imo.

Nicely summarized, Scotty.  Do you really think Escobar's defense will be better than Freese's?

Undoubtedly.  I consider range to be the single most important factor when analyzing a player's defense, and while last year we saw Escobar's range diminish, it was still better than your typical 3B.  But his overall defensive performance went down.  Before last year, by all measures, Escobar was a well above average defensive SS.  The decrease was predominantly because he was being asked to play a position he hadn't played since he was 24 years old and even then it was only for a couple games.  He hardly played there in the minors either.  The Nats told Escobar he'd be playing 2B, not 3B.  So in essence, Escobar was being asked to learn a new position on the fly, so of course it didn't go well, though he was passable. 

However, the Angels are going to be clear with him.  We're bringing you in as a 3B, you're going to play 3B.  

I think at worst, we're going to have a league average 3B, slightly better than Freese.  In all likelihood, we'll have a slightly above average 3B, which is considerably better than Freese.  There's a chance the comfort level from his days as a SS come with time at 3B, and he turns into a good defensive 3B.

A couple things. One, I'm not as excited about Escobar as most are. He's a solid player, but I'm leery about the fact that before last year's resurgence with the bat, he was pretty bad for three years previously, or at least the definition of mediocre. Let's say he hits more like 2012-14 than 2007-09/11/15. The Angels are back where they were last year - yet another lineup position with a limp bat.

On a different note, why is everyone so certain that Escobar is being brought in to be play 3B? Why not 2B? Or maybe the Angels will figure it out in Spring Training? Escobar gives them options at 3B and 2B, which is a big part of his value. But if Cowart or Kubitza impresses, maybe Escobar is at 2B? I suppose we won't know for certain until we see more transactions.

'

A couple things. One, I'm not as excited about Escobar as most are. He's a solid player, but I'm leery about the fact that before last year's resurgence with the bat, he was pretty bad for three years previously, or at least the definition of mediocre. Let's say he hits more like 2012-14 than 2007-09/11/15. The Angels are back where they were last year - yet another lineup position with a limp bat.

On a different note, why is everyone so certain that Escobar is being brought in to be play 3B? Why not 2B? Or maybe the Angels will figure it out in Spring Training? Escobar gives them options at 3B and 2B, which is a big part of his value. But if Cowart or Kubitza impresses, maybe Escobar is at 2B? I suppose we won't know for certain until we see more transactions.

'

I'm looking at the Angels MLB depth chart online.  Good graphic to put things visually.

'

Escobar has not played the right side of the infield, he would be about 7 years late learning the position. Like Scotty needing to get over the Simmons trade you need to let it go regarding Giavotella.

OK...but what are you saying?

Here's the depth chart, for those interested. A whole lot of mediocrity, unfortunately.

I'm just saying I use the chart to see who would likely play 3rd base.  And other than LF I see a pretty decent team that has been upgraded at C, SS and 3B.  I thought we needed to upgrade C and LF most and we had no 3B after Freese became a FA so two have been accomplished.  Now the huge LF signing is critical.  I really want Chen as well in the starting rotation.

Escobar has not played the right side of the infield, he would be about 7 years late learning the position. Like Scotty needing to get over the Simmons trade you need to let it go regarding Giavotella.

Let what go? Not sure what you're saying. I have no beef with Gio, he just sucks defensively.

I was mistaken about Escobar - I thought he was a 2B, not a SS.

I'm just saying I use the chart to see who would likely play 3rd base.  And other than LF I see a pretty decent team that has been upgraded at C, SS and 3B.  I thought we needed to upgrade C and LF most and we had no 3B after Freese became a FA so two have been accomplished.  Now the huge LF signing is critical.  I really want Chen as well in the starting rotation.

The team pretty much needs one of the big three in the outfield - the team is just too weak offensively for it to seriously contend without a big offensive upgrade somewhere in the lineup.

Let what go? Not sure what you're saying. I have no beef with Gio, he just sucks defensively.

I may have your comments confused with the rest of the rainman that can't get through one discussion without saying a priority is replacing Giavotella. It may happen but I doubt it simply because he is the cheapest solution and still has an upside for improvement. Run him through defensive drills with Simmons and drop him in the #9 slot and let's play ball.

The Angels only need a left fielder (my preference Upton) and a bullpen arm. After that they have a strong enough team to compete in their division.

Edited by notti

The team pretty much needs one of the big three in the outfield - the team is just too weak offensively for it to seriously contend without a big offensive upgrade somewhere in the lineup.

I completely agree.  Sounds like it might be Upton now.  27 YO all-star w/26 HR's last season.  I still like Cespedes, but we have three streaky HR hitters and he would be the streakiest 4th.

I'm convinced there are plenty of really, really good outfielders available still and Eppler has done a great job waiting them out while getting the best defensive SS, a good IF/3B, a good C and some good backup pieces.  Look who is still available.  There are 7 good options.  We will get one.

Justin Upton LF 28 SD TBD - - - Alex Gordon LF 31 KC TBD - - - Dexter Fowler CF 29 CHC TBD - - - Alex Rios RF 34 KC TBD - - - Denard Span CF 31 WSH TBD - - - Jason Heyward RF 26 STL TBD - - -                               Yoenis Cespedes LF 30 NYM TBD

Edited by Angelfaninidaho

I think it was Rosenthal that reported he'd be playing 3B and if I remember right, Fletcher backed it up. I'd prefer he play 2B, where its a good bet he'd be an immediate upgrade over Giavoltella both offensively and defensively. I like the chances of Kubitza hitting or Cowart fielding more than I like the chances of Giavotella bring anything better than a liability in the field. But it seems clear that for now, Eppler isn't on board with handing a starting job to Kubitza or Cowart.

One thing of note, Kubitza began playing 2B late last season. It'd be interesting to see what happens if he takes to it. He could end up being very good, though I think that's unlikely at 2B.