• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels GM Billy Eppler gets defensive about his moves

Eppler was noncommittal when asked about crossing that line.

“There are scenarios where you could see it being reasonable and there are scenarios where you could see it not being worth it,” Eppler said. “Undetermined is probably the best way to put it.”

LOL...

Angels payroll estimated at 173 million... with holes at 3rd base, 2nd base, left field... and an uninspiring rotation

And yet you still wont say if you're willing to go over the luxury?

Eppler is the best GM in baseball if he is capable of staying under the luxury, and fill the numerous holes with quality players.

Edited by Poozy

It's all edging towards going into 2016 with Giavotella as our starting second baseman isn't it?

If so, yuck.

and Kubitza/Cowart at 3b, which is far worse imo...

Why they didn't give freese a QO is beyond me....It was a win-win situation.

Freese was actually pretty solid last year

Edited by Poozy

Because he's not worth $15.5 million for one year.

Why not? There's a hole without many options to plug it up with. If you can overpay for one year for the luxury to cut ties quickly then there's a premium that needs to be paid. Freese will easily get 4/40. I think as a FA he gets 5/60. So 1/15 is a great deal for a desperate situation.

and Kubitza/Cowart at 3b, which is far worse imo...

Why they didn't give freese a QO is beyond me....It was a win-win situation.

Freese was actually pretty solid last year

That's a horrible outcome, if we end up with Kubitza/Cowart at 3b and Gia at 2b. If the choice is stick with what we have at 2b/3b and sign a top OF, or sign a mid tier, 2b, 3b and OF then the latter is by far the better option.

The Arte / Dipoto "getting offensive" era with Pujols and Hamilton has put Eppler in a position with very little payroll flexibility. He probably only has one bullet left in the gun. Let's see how he uses it.

No one put Eppler in that position, Eppler accepted that position when he took the job.

Because GMs always tell the truth to reporters. Give me one good reason as it relates to negotiations with a free agent to let the world know you have an open check book?

Didn't you post a tweet by Fletcher....

Eppler says that we are in on lots of trades and FA's in the next 7-10 days. Trades at this point need to be very creative and FA's cost money. Let's see if anything of significance happens.

I think that Fletcher's tweet is exactly one year early. Eppler will fix this team but not as fast as everyone expects.

Arte said that he would go past the luxury tax for the right player. The right player may have to accept a severely backloaded deal to play here.

Ok I agree with that. Most contracts are back loaded so that's not a big deal. Eppler can fix the major league team relatively quickly but the organization as a whole will take some time. The goal for any team is to be as self sufficient as possible. Our minor leagues are awful and not because we signed Albert or Hamilton but because we have horrible drafts year after year. There's plenty of teams out there that find good major leaguers after the first round. We have Kole but no one else really.

The decision not to give Freese a QO is interesting ... with a weak market for third base. This off season was Freese's best chance to get a multi year deal. I would be inclined to believe that he would of passed on the offer. That would of given the FO more leverage in signing him or a draft pick if they missed.

Looks like they did Freese a favor by not offering him a QO.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Because GMs always tell the truth to reporters. Give me one good reason as it relates to negotiations with a free agent to let the world know you have an open check book?

I can't think of a reason off hand to do it, but Detroit has done it this year, see attached......

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/12/05/detroit-tigers-mike-ilitch/76846874/

Ok I agree with that. Most contracts are back loaded so that's not a big deal. Eppler can fix the major league team relatively quickly but the organization as a whole will take some time. The goal for any team is to be as self sufficient as possible. Our minor leagues are awful and not because we signed Albert or Hamilton but because we have horrible drafts year after year. There's plenty of teams out there that find good major leaguers after the first round. We have Kole but no one else really.

And that's the $64 million question. Can Eppler put the right system in place (scouts, development coaches, etc.) to bring a real farm system back here?