• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

my idea: padres/angels

ukyah

i was looking over a padres move made on the 11th where they traded for a yankees IF named jose pirela from the yankees, and it got me thinking.

preller likes to make moves. eppler is intimately familiar with former recent yankees and has scouted the padres because of previous trades. 

the padres have a glut of infielders and seem to be moving in the direction of a few of their younger ones. they have pirela, spangenberg, our friend amarista, rondon himself, middlebrooks and gyorko. 

all could be had for reasonable parts and for the angels that's a necessity.

what originally spurred this thread was the possibility of eppler acquiring yangervis solarte to man 3b for the halos. he's basically a middle of the pack defender and a reasonably good hitter, plus he fits the narrative of young and controlled.

if the padres are high on him, we could get middlebrooks or an interesting reclamation project in gyorko. stick them all at 3b permanently.

thoughts?

i was looking over a padres move made on the 11th where they traded for a yankees IF named jose pirela from the yankees, and it got me thinking.

preller likes to make moves. eppler is intimately familiar with former recent yankees and has scouted the padres because of previous trades.

the padres have a glut of infielders and seem to be moving in the direction of a few of their younger ones. they have pirela, spangenberg, our friend amarista, rondon himself, middlebrooks and gyorko.

all could be had for reasonable parts and for the angels that's a necessity.

what originally spurred this thread was the possibility of eppler acquiring yangervis solarte to man 3b for the halos. he's basically a middle of the pack defender and a reasonably good hitter, plus he fits the narrative of young and controlled.

if the padres are high on him, we could get middlebrooks or an interesting reclamation project in gyorko. stick them all at 3b permanently.

thoughts?

Interesting that you mention Solarte, I have been thinking about him myself. I think he makes the best fit, not only because of his offensive/defensive skills but because he is 28 and controlled through his prime until 2020. I also like the fact that he comes from and has had success at an extreme pitcher's park.

As for the other options, I am not too thrilled about them. I'd rather keep my pieces and give Cowart and Kubitza a shot.

Solarte and Spangenberg would both be a good fit on this team. The only issue really is that the Padres are in the midst of a reload, meaning they're acquiring high end talent that should make an impact in the next couple years. The Angels really don't have much there they can help with. We shouldn't trade anyone like Tropeano or Skaggs, the Padres wouldn't be interested in Santiago or Shoemaker, and Bedrosian and Hinshaw don't really carry enough value.

Solarte and Spangenberg would both be a good fit on this team. The only issue really is that the Padres are in the midst of a reload, meaning they're acquiring high end talent that should make an impact in the next couple years. The Angels really don't have much there they can help with. We shouldn't trade anyone like Tropeano or Skaggs, the Padres wouldn't be interested in Santiago or Shoemaker, and Bedrosian and Hinshaw don't really carry enough value.

spangenberg isn't going to happen. he's part of the padres plans and would require a more substantial investment in trade pieces, that the angels don't have.

i'm suggesting trying to acquire a superfluous piece, that should be more affordable and thus attainable.

Edited by ukyah

Do you think Hinshaw, Bedrosian, Kubitza does it? 

to me, guys like middlebrooks, and gyroko don't really have any more value than a bunch of random cheap non-roster spring invitees.  Plus, both are a disaster defensively.  

Solarte would be a nice pickup, but if we aren't going to trade from our pitching depth, then it's not happening.   

That would be a terrible trade for the Angels, seeing as Kubitza has a high likelihood of being as good as or better than Solarte in the next year or two.

Just don't get the hype with Kubitza. Guy that K'd a ton in the minors and had his numbers inflated by an unsustainable BABIP. 

This. We know about his high OBP, but I am curious as to what that translates to in the Majors with those K problems, and like Nikka mentioned - the drastic BABIP. Not to mention he has to transition from Salt Lake to Anaheim. Solarte is by no means is a solidified player at third, but he has proved to show success in two seasons of substantial playing time... in both leagues, and in two very different environments (parks, team, etc). 

I don't know, but having a more proven player in Solarte gives me more comfort in our 3B situation. Thats not to beat up on Kubitza, I've mentioned that I wouldn't mind starting the season with him and Cowart at third and am interested to see what they can do. But if the area can be improved without giving up substantial pieces, why not?

I kind of feel like either Kubitza or Cowart could offer the value we need at 3B without a trade. Kubitza has the OBP and gap power to give the offense a boost. The K's are a problem, but not really that big of a problem like with someone like Chris Davis. Kubitza also plays a good 3B. In Cowart's case, the upside is obviously there, and I'd like to see a little more from the bat before I'm a believer again. But at the very least, with that glove, we'd have one of the premier defensive 3B in all of baseball. Before you say anything about the bat, let me just say that amazing defense and little or not bat was enough to land Simmons as one of the highest valued SS in baseball.

There's just no way I'd trade for Solarte when we have those two options already. It isn't like Freese is leaving a big hole, he really wasn't THAT good. Even if Kubitza and Cowart aren't good with the bat, defensively, we'll have added so much value we'd be pretty much no better or worse off.

That would be a terrible trade for the Angels, seeing as Kubitza has a high likelihood of being as good as or better than Solarte in the next year or two.

Why, exactly, are you so high on Kubitza? He's incredibly mediocre, and to say that he's better than Solarte is ridiculous.

I kind of feel like either Kubitza or Cowart could offer the value we need at 3B without a trade. Kubitza has the OBP and gap power to give the offense a boost. The K's are a problem, but not really that big of a problem like with someone like Chris Davis. Kubitza also plays a good 3B. In Cowart's case, the upside is obviously there, and I'd like to see a little more from the bat before I'm a believer again. But at the very least, with that glove, we'd have one of the premier defensive 3B in all of baseball. Before you say anything about the bat, let me just say that amazing defense and little or not bat was enough to land Simmons as one of the highest valued SS in baseball.

There's just no way I'd trade for Solarte when we have those two options already. It isn't like Freese is leaving a big hole, he really wasn't THAT good. Even if Kubitza and Cowart aren't good with the bat, defensively, we'll have added so much value we'd be pretty much no better or worse off.

The only difference is Davis hits 50 homeruns and gets on base at a mid .300 clip. It's incredibly unfair to compare Kubitza to Davis. Kubitza never had a K percentage below 23.8% outside of Rookie League (which was still at 20%) in the minors. That's a bad rate in the majors let alone the minors, was striking out nearly half the time in his short stint in the majors. It only gets worse. I'd be pissed if Kubitza is the Opening Day third baseman. 

You've seen Kubitza all of 30 games in the majors and probably not once in the minors. I'm sure glad you weren't in charge after Trout floundered in his first go-around in the majors. As for Davis-Kubitza, I'm comparing their ability to make contact, nothing more, and Kubitza is better. And your straw-man fallacies only work on the ignorant or unintelligent. Granted, I may not be the smartest man on earth, but I have a degree, took PSYC 101 and am able to identify some logical fallacies when I see them.

You've seen Kubitza all of 30 games in the majors and probably not once in the minors. I'm sure glad you weren't in charge after Trout floundered in his first go-around in the majors. As for Davis-Kubitza, I'm comparing their ability to make contact, nothing more, and Kubitza is better. And your straw-man fallacies only work on the ignorant or unintelligent. Granted, I may not be the smartest man on earth, but I have a degree, took PSYC 101 and am able to identify some logical fallacies when I see them.

I've neeeeever been high on Kubitza, I've had the same concerns about him since they acquired him. And I'm glad you aren't in charge to overvalue prospects while you sit on your hands and let Kubitza flail helplessly at the plate. Wow, so easy to turn the tables. We should let Yarbrough take over second base after his shitty season in Salt Lake (because I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you still think he'll be an All-Star). 

Only difference between Trout and Kubitza? Trout was 19 and struggling in the show, Kubitza was 25 and struggling in the show (and Trout was still better!). You immediately jump to the conclusion that I had given up on Trout, or any prospect, when he initially struggled when you have no grounds to support that. Pretty ironic you mention logical fallacies, eh? 

Why the hell should I be content with Kubitza being the Opening Day third baseman? Let's ask the others on here. Come on guys, who's on board with Kubitza being the everyday third baseman? I'll take my chance on a guy who's at least shown he can be a useful player in the majors as opposed to a guy who could be good if everything goes right for him.

Edited by nikkachez

I've neeeeever been high on Kubitza, I've had the same concerns about him since they acquired him. And I'm glad you aren't in charge to overvalue prospects while you sit on your hands and let Kubitza flail helplessly at the plate. Wow, so easy to turn the tables. We should let Yarbrough take over second base after his shitty season in Salt Lake (because I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you still think he'll be an All-Star). 

Only difference between Trout and Kubitza? Trout was 19 and struggling in the show, Kubitza was 25 and struggling in the show (and Trout was still better!). You immediately jump to the conclusion that I had given up on Trout, or any prospect, when he initially struggled when you have no grounds to support that. Pretty ironic you mention logical fallacies, eh? 

Why the hell should I be content with Kubitza being the Opening Day third baseman? Let's ask the others on here. Come on guys, who's on board with Kubitza being the everyday third baseman? I'll take my chance on a guy who's at least shown he can be a useful player in the majors as opposed to a guy who could be good if everything goes right for him.

Yeah guys, rally behind me and help fulfill my social need to feel validated in my quest to prove some guy on the Internet wrong!

After we get someone for the 1 or 2 sport in the rotation first! If weaver doesn't show up, Skaggs or Shoe can step up and rotate between the 4/5 slots. My go too Rotation would be something similar too this..... (Depending on future trades)

1. Richards

2. Zimmermann

3. Heaney

4. Weaver

5. Tropeano

to me, guys like middlebrooks, and gyroko don't really have any more value than a bunch of random cheap non-roster spring invitees.  Plus, both are a disaster defensively.  

Solarte would be a nice pickup, but if we aren't going to trade from our pitching depth, then it's not happening.   

i agree on middlebrooks, i think he could be had for a song. gyorko is an interesting piece if the angels had interest in a risk. the real cruxt of this thread was solarte. i like him as a reasonably good player, and at the hot corner that has even more value. you're basically getting a better version of david freese for none of the money and he's 28. i'd absolutely go for solarte before i resigned freese.

After we get someone for the 1 or 2 sport in the rotation first! If weaver doesn't show up, Skaggs or Shoe can step up and rotate between the 4/5 slots. My go too Rotation would be something similar too this..... (Depending on future trades)

1. Richards

2. Zimmermann

3. Heaney

4. Weaver

5. Tropeano

How about buying low on Fister?

1.Richards

2.Wilson

3.Fister

4.Heaney

5.Tropeano/Weaver/Skaggs (when ready)/Shoemaker

Edit: