• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Under the radar LF options

Docwaukee

Ender Inciarte.  

Low K speed guy with excellent LF defense.  Good minor league walk rate (not so good last year at the major league level).  Just turned 25. controlled thru 2020

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/inciaen01.shtml

Scott Van Slyke

Also plays very good LF defense.  Good power and walk rate.  Probably more of a platoon guy.  29 years old.  

Controlled thru 2019.  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vanslsc01.shtml

Would Santiago get us one of these guys?  

Feel free to add your own.  

Edited by Dochalo

Sounds good to have as a 4th outfielder option, I feel like the Angels need a 4 hitter though so Upton is who I want to see them grab. (That's if scioscia would even move Pujols down to 5) That still leaves us needing a lead off hitter unless we are looking to have Simmons be our lead off guy.

Zobrist for second and lead off would be ideal.

1. Zobrist

2. Calhoun

3. Trout

4. Upton

5. Pujols

6. Cron

7. Simmons

8. Perez

9. Cowart/kubitza

Or if we can get Heyward and Zobrist

1. Zobrist

2. Heyward

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Calhoun

6. Cron

7. Simmons

8. Perez

9. Cowart/kubitza

Idk both of those lineups would be very productive.

Sounds good to have as a 4th outfielder option, I feel like the Angels need a 4 hitter though so Upton is who I want to see them grab. (That's if scioscia would even move Pujols down to 5) That still leaves us needing a lead off hitter unless we are looking to have Simmons be our lead off guy.

Zobrist for second and lead off would be ideal.

1. Zobrist

2. Calhoun

3. Trout

4. Upton

5. Pujols

6. Cron

7. Simmons

8. Perez

9. Cowart/kubitza

Or if we can get Heyward and Zobrist

1. Zobrist

2. Heyward

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Calhoun

6. Cron

7. Simmons

8. Perez

9. Cowart/kubitza

Idk both of those lineups would be very productive.

It is tough to hate either of those options.

Do people not realize that Alex Gordon is 31, probably seeking a 6 year deal? That's a pretty risky contract

I don't think Gordon will get six years, but of course I have nothing to base that on.  I guess I should say that I wouldn't give him six years, four with an team option is enough.

This is the part I hate about free agent signing, everybody has to sit around until a lot of these guys come down to earth with their demands.

Edited by tomsred

Nick Markakis may be an okay piece if he wasn't being leaned on as the impact bat, maybe more in the role being discussed for Morneau in the other thread.

Lefty bat off bench that could platoon with Cron (if necessary) at DH, and spot the COFers and even 1B. Doubles machine, high contact, good OBP. I'm not sure on defense or speed. His contract is kinda meh too, but since the Braves are tearing everything down he may come super cheap if we picked up most of the bill.

They'd have to get a good bat in OF and one of 2B/3B first.

Edited by totdprods

Inciarte looks like a really solid option. I would love to get him and Aoki to complement him as a 4th OF.

I think Santiago + mid tier SP prospect could net us him since the D-backs are in need of pitching and have excess OF.

How about we get creative and do Inciarte + Lamb for Santiago + CJ Wilson + Kubitza. (We shed about 20 mil in salary to add to FA)

Sign Cueto + Zimmerman.

Sign Zobrist/Kendrick

1. Cueto

2. Zimmerman

3. Richards

4. Heaney

5. Tropeano/Skaggs

1. Inciarte

2. Zobrist

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Calhoun

6. Cron

7. Lamb

8. Simmons

9. Perez

Bench

Aoki

Cowart/Kubitza

That SP looks sexy. Great defense, and lacking motto batts but otherwise solid lineup of players that get on base + drive in runs.

OK... Maybe this is a little overboard. Just trying to be creative but feel free to criticize lol.

Scratching everything I mentioned though, yeah I'd love to get Inciarte.

Edited by marcosantinia12

Ender likely won't be available without offering a good SP prospect. The D-Backs love the defensive look of him and Pollock sharing OF space. They'll be more inclined to trade O'Brien, who the Angels discussed last year. But if they do part ways with Enciarte, the cost will be more Heaney than Santiago, which doesn't fit the Angels short or long term goals. But Santiago or Shoemaker for O'Brien in the wake of Pujols missing time could be intriguing.

The Dodgers have followed the plan to raise payroll up to 300 million to build a perennial contender, and then stockpile prospects with their eyes set on dropping below 200 million in the next few years. That means that if we want Van Slyke, it'll likely cost prospects.

With Markakis, it's a good bet the Braves will flip him in the next year or two for prospects, as they're hoarding every one under the sun.

If the Padres are looking to offload Kemp, it'll be for players that could help them compete in 2018-2022' when the majority of their prospects (existing and newly acquired alike) reach the majors. Translation, they'd want someone to take on the majority of his contract and prospects.

The Red Sox have done an amazing job using the media to help promote and increase Jackie Bradley's value. They'll take advantage and deal him to some unsuspecting team for pitching and watch him quickly turn into "an interesting 4th OF". But if the Angels want to get involved in those sweepstakes that's fine, but anything more than Matt Shoemaker and a depth prospect is more than I'd want to pay for his services.

I think the Angels will end up spending big money on a LF, and explore the trade market for a 2B.

I like under the radar options, Doc, but the problem is the Angels really need a larger boost to the lineup. So if it isn't LF then it has to be 3B and/or 2B, and how are they going to get significantly improved offense?

I started writing more, but it got a bit longer than intended so I decided to start a new thread on improving the offense as it is more general.

I'd spend some money on Cespedes and, maybe, Heyward.......but after that not so much for an OF'er -- Zobrist would be worth spending money on -- and I would keep him at 2B -- some are suggesting he moves to LF -- an option -- but I would have him at 2B and then sign a defensive MIF for depth (not Giovatella).

Gordon is going to want a long term deal and at 31, he's a so-so hitter, not much power and solid defensively. Not a real great clubhouse guy. I wouldn't break the bank for him.

Those advocating for Cueto must have only watched his playoff starts, two of which were very good, one was not so good.......down the stretch after the deal to KC he was 4-7 or something like that with a high ERA.

Also, Pujols just had surgery -- recovering - why do I think he won't be ready for the bell in April - which means the good D we get with Simmons at SS may be somewhat erased with Cron at 1B.

There is a good and thorough discussion of Cron's defense in the Justin Mourneau thread, you might enjoy reading about it there.  Zobrist will probably cost a ton of money because everyone loves his flexibility to play multiple positions, so expect the demand to be fierce which may very well drive the price to something that's a serious overpay.  In my opinion, Gordon could really help, and he will ask for 6+ years, but he isn't as flexibile as Zobrist, and I think he is likely to be a 4 year + 1 team option year get.  I'm curious about why you don't think he is a good clubhouse guy?

I wouldn't know what to expect from Cueto, and I haven't any idea of how to value him.  He could be on the market for quite some time.

Regarding Pujols, I think many posters here are rather negative on the Angels medical and training staffs regarding recovery times.  Too many times the recovery ends up being longer than first thought.

I like under the radar options, Doc, but the problem is the Angels really need a larger boost to the lineup. So if it isn't LF then it has to be 3B and/or 2B, and how are they going to get significantly improved offense?

I started writing more, but it got a bit longer than intended so I decided to start a new thread on improving the offense as it is more general.

Absolutely

A few of us have suggested chris davis and a span type for left. Yes, we absolutely need to get some guys on base for trout, but we also need another guy to drive people in.

Heres something to think about in terms of being frugal on the matter. Nothing really changes over the next year or two...we still have a barren farm. We just cleared a ton of it for a very good player, but not one that helps the offense.

So do we really want to go cheap this winter? I havent looked up next years free agent class, but does it look as deep? The one after? I hate to say it, but were gonna have to spend stupidly this winter. Doesnt mean we have to land the biggest name (s), but we absolutely have to shore up a few spots that will produce over the next couple of years.

Things would be a lot different if cron was a bonafide hitter. Maybe he turns out to be, but for now hes more of a 6 or 7 hitter. If pujols was a few years younger, it obviously changes things too. But i dont think we can afford to count on best case scenario for either of those happening going into next year, and for going cheap in setting up the two after

Ocho, I'm optimistic--no, hopeful--that we'll see improvement and greater consistent from Cron next year. If you look at his stats, he was awful through June (barely playing in May and June) and then caught fire and was great in July and August before cooling off again in September. But I think we're going to see something like a .270-.280 BA, a .310-.330 OBP, and a .470-.520 SLG and 25-30 HR. I see him as a Brad Fullmer type, although translated to a non-roid era.

Here's my official prediction: 145 games, .272/.316/.491, 26 HR.

Ocho, I'm optimistic--no, hopeful--that we'll see improvement and greater consistent from Cron next year. If you look at his stats, he was awful through June (barely playing in May and June) and then caught fire and was great in July and August before cooling off again in September. But I think we're going to see something like a .270-.280 BA, a .310-.330 OBP, and a .470-.520 SLG and 25-30 HR. I see him as a Brad Fullmer type, although translated to a non-roid era.

Here's my official prediction: 145 games, .272/.316/.491, 26 HR.

We've seen throughout Cron's career that when he's overmatched, he starts trying to pull everything and lift it. He worked through so,e of those issues in the last couple month of AA and the AFL. AAA was a mistake and once he got to the majors, a less refined approach worked at first. Then pitchers adjusted and we saw what happened early last year. With the help of Scioscia, he tweaked his approach slightly so that he was seeing the ball better and staying inside the pitch. When he gets away from it, you'll see Scioscia put a hit and run on in a situation that doesn't entirely call for it because it seems to center his approach and forces him to use the whole field.

This next year will tell us a lot about CJ.