• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Maddux will NOT return as the Rangers pitching coach, sign him NOW!

HBMike

Cleveland's pitching coach is former Halo Mickey Callaway, who has drawn positive reviews in his few years. 

Also, again, the stats I'm referring to are Maddux's seven years as pitching coach over a 21 year period, which MLB is calling the 

"Ballpark Era" (1994-2015, I guess 'Steroid Era' didn't have a good ring to it) and the fact that every single year under his campaign rank as the seven best in terms of ERA for the Rangers in that span. That includes the very good Rangers teams of the late 90's, and the pretty terrible 2014 Rangers team.

I don't know specifics on his pitching philosophy, demeanor, or attitude towards scouting reports or advanced statistics, I just see solid, consistent results over a long-period of time. 

Another major reason I support the idea is, due to the unbalanced schedule and how often the Angels play the AL West, Maddux would already have significant familiarity with not just the Angels staff and Rangers staff, but the rest of the AL West - who represent a majority of our games played. I think he would be a great pitching coach. Consistency is what is appealing to me most - seems like in recent years, the Angels fluctuate wildly from having good pitching and no hitting, no pitching and good hitting, good pitching and good pitching but terrible bullpen, etc. That's not all on the coaching staff, but Maddux's consistent record bodes well.

For the record, I think Butcher was a pretty good pitching coach as well, and received a bad rap due to underwhelming pitching staffs cobbled together under high expectations. 

Good post, you make a compelling argument for the guy.  I like the part about him being familiar with division personnel.  I also agree with you on Butcher.