• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler AND Byrnes?

DMVol

Claude this is exactly what you've been wanting isn't it? I thought you wanted a baseball guy as president. I'm not calling you out, it's just when I read this earlier I thought, "Claude will like this".

Yes Strad it is exactly what I want. I was just kidding about the power struggle. I would love to see Eppler as our VP of Baseball Operations and have him select a GM. I'm not real sure about Byrnes but two baseball brains working together for one common goal sounds like a good plan to me. Also I'm really happy about the youthful starting pitchers that we are going to enjoy watching the next few years.

Yes Strad it is exactly what I want. I was just kidding about the power struggle. I would love to see Eppler as our VP of Baseball Operations and have him select a GM. I'm not real sure about Byrnes but two baseball brains working together for one common goal sounds like a good plan to me. Also I'm really happy about the youthful starting pitchers that we are going to enjoy watching the next few years.

Sorry I misunderstood, I guess my first thought was right.

Sorry I misunderstood, I guess my first thought was right.

If we could get that type of baseball executive team to work with together with Scioscia it could turn into something special. It certainly appears that Dipoto and Scioscia never really meshed but it all worked out in the end. Jerry got another GM job and the Angels roster still has some of his positive work in place.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.  Get as many smart, experienced people in the room as possible.  As long as someone is in charge (other than Scioscia).   

But it still boils down to Arte.  

Will he meddle?  Will he open up the checkbook for improved scouting?  Will be create an appropriate chain of command within the front office?  

It's all lip service unless he sets the ship in the right direction.  

Why the Byrnes hate?  

Three winning seasons in eight years as a GM, one of which was an 82-80 campaign. He was fired from two organizations with way less ambition or commitment to winning than we have. His performance with both organizations was widely panned and rightly so. He traded Rizzo because he liked Yonder Alonso better and all they got for him was Andrew f'ing Cashner, as just one example of his lack of ability. Hearing his name brought up scares the crap out of me.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Get as many smart, experienced people in the room as possible. As long as someone is in charge (other than Scioscia).

But it still boils down to Arte.

Will he meddle? Will he open up the checkbook for improved scouting? Will be create an appropriate chain of command within the front office?

It's all lip service unless he sets the ship in the right direction.

I'm hoping that Arte is done getting involved with the player personnel and let the braintrust do their jobs. I wasn't a big fan of Dipoto but I wonder what the team would look like today without having Pujols and Hamilton during his tenure.

From GMJ to Wells, Pujols and Hamilton this franchise could've been better served with good drafts and sound trades. But I guess every team could say that.

Three winning seasons in eight years as a GM, one of which was an 82-80 campaign. He was fired from two organizations with way less ambition or commitment to winning than we have. His performance with both organizations was widely panned and rightly so. He traded Rizzo because he liked Yonder Alonso better and all they got for him was Andrew f'ing Cashner, as just one example of his lack of ability. Hearing his name brought up scares the crap out of me.

yeah.  went through and looked at his moves with both Az and SD.  Mostly it was much ado about nothing.  Even his larger scale moves had no net positive for the team.  Some of it boils down to the talent evaluators around him which obviously weren't all that great either.  

He might be one of those guys who gets in front of people and say the right things about team vision and philosophy yet the execution is poor.  

Maybe he'd function well as the big picture guy.  Not sure, but I agree that his track record is pretty suspect.  

They may be looking at him because JD was one of his guys and they might share a similar organizational philosophy.   If you've ever heard Byrnes talk you'd swear you're hearing JD -- not the personality, but the things they say.