• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Problem with the Team is Pitching!

stormngt

Hitting a buck with RISP normally make the pitcher press thinking they have to throw up zeros.

This is a vicious cycle. Our hitters are pressing trying to crush 3 run bombs knowing they need a big inning to have a chance at a win. Pitchers are pressing because because the hitters are never plating the runs.

Combine that with the fact that the opposing teams all have better advance scouting on us means the opposite team is able to get clutch outs to get out of jams. For example. if a lefty is pitching against us the scouting report is to walk Pujols and pitch low and away offspeed stuff to Hamilton a few times.

So the Angels advanced scouting is so inept they can't even see basic tendencies of hitters or pitchers to relay that to the team? I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous assumption. What do you know about the abilities of the Angels advanced scouting compared to other teams? 

So the Angels advanced scouting is so inept they can't even see basic tendencies of hitters or pitchers to relay that to the team? I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous assumption. What do you know about the abilities of the Angels advanced scouting compared to other teams? 

Actually, it is more likely that the coaches interpreting the advanced scouting they receive are inept or lazy.

You make good points, LT. I still say the lack of hitting with RISP is hurting the team also, but your analysis here is spot on.

Get a room

Most of this Capt Obvious material is a symptom of the failed "buy the WS" strategy: invest in old guys with huge long term contracts, including the manager.  Beyond some pitching, this team needs a big kick in their complacent butts and likely won't get it from Mr. turn the page. 

What Nate said, because it seems that teams put those scouting reports into play better than we do on them. How many unknown pitchers do well against us, and how many of our unknowns have done well against other teams?

Why have we continually made unknowns look like Cy Young against us, going back some 5 years at least?

Good argument Brian. Typical BS. I defend them when I think they should be defended and I criticize them when I think they should be criticized. I give my opinions. Perhaps, rather than popping off about me, if you disagree with my position, make your argument. 

Not a shock, in fact, I would expect them to give up 4 runs a game because they are mediocre.  But I also expect that offense to produce 5+ runs. 

Then your expectations were a bit off.   5+ runs a game would be a minimum of 810 runs, which isn't impossible but nobody was actually able to do last year.  

2012 - None

2011 - NYY, Boston, Tex,.

2010 - NYY, Boston.

Five teams have averaged 5 or better runs per game the previous three seasons.  Know how many teams have allowed as many as 5.64 games per games like the Angels are currently doing over that period?   NONE...

You have to go back to 2006 to find a team that posted an ERA that high, the 100 loss Royals.  Prior to them you have to go back to the 2003 Texas Rangers.  When you consider the Angels home park, the numbers are that much uglier.

This rotation is not giving the team ANY chance to win.  And this rotation is exactly the rotation the GM worked to build.

If players were held accountable for the frequent, dumb mistakes, they might make fewer in the future. Has anyone even been fined once? Or yelled at?

Scoscia's expression never changes, and his postgame comments after excruciating losses sound disconnected.

Fan perception...   I love fan perception.

Pretty sure it was fans that felt the Angels needed to add more offense and were sick of those punch and judy pitching rich teams that were boring and won.  But hey -- the fans know better because, they pay to see the team and they have the luxury of hindsight.  

Not sure what industries or backgrounds others have, but Rah-Rah bullshit and end of the world histrionics may make for good theater but are a horrible actual working environment.

My guess is this team will press less if it's not in the hole by the third inning of every game.  People can blame the manager and everyone all they want, but if people think these players aren't aware of what happened last year and the noise being made by the fans and the media then they are deluding themselves.

Fan perception, and the resulting backlash may very well lead to an even bigger mistake.

Good argument Brian. Typical BS. I defend them when I think they should be defended and I criticize them when I think they should be criticized. I give my opinions. Perhaps, rather than popping off about me, if you disagree with my position, make your argument. 

If that's true, the part about you criticizing when appropriate, then how come you had zero problem with Butcher's comment?  What more does he have to say to concern you?  Does he have to come right out and say that he has no idea how to fix the pitching and nothing he is doing is working?  What would it take?

"I have zero stress, man -- none," Butcher said. "I come here, do my job, and I sleep like a baby at night."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130417&content_id=45071556&notebook_id=45089510&vkey=notebook_ana&c_id=ana

Michael Kohn will be brought up from Salt Lake today per my sources. AAA stats are once again filthy so perhaps this will be a good omen for the bullpen!

I hope so.  That, and Madsen, would help.  Problem is, our BP gets taxed heavily because starts can't get to the 7th inning and that really needs to change.

This team has under performed in every single way this year and has under performed the last 3 years yet fans on this bored defend scioscia. Angelswin is hilarious

Take a good look at our personal!  we are not under achieving!  Our pitching sucks.  Name one pitcher on our rotation right now that would be a #1 on any contending team?  Weaver is out, Wilson hasn't pitched well for almost a year, and the other three are all mediocre to below mediocre.  And that is what we are getting below mediocre!

If that's true, the part about you criticizing when appropriate, then how come you had zero problem with Butcher's comment?  What more does he have to say to concern you?  Does he have to come right out and say that he has no idea how to fix the pitching and nothing he is doing is working?  What would it take?

"I have zero stress, man -- none," Butcher said. "I come here, do my job, and I sleep like a baby at night."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130417&content_id=45071556&notebook_id=45089510&vkey=notebook_ana&c_id=ana

Because Ernest, as I stated before, I don't have a problem with what he said and I think criticism of it is silly. He hasn't come close to making statements like that. The Angels have had excellent pitching staffs under Butcher's leadership. He hasn't suddenly forgotten how to coach. If the team decides they need a new voice then so be it. They're the only ones who can evaluate that.. Nitpicking his comments when the press is grilling him about the struggles and whether he's worried about his job is silly. 

Just out of curiosity -- Do you really think his comments have ANY impact on ANYTHING?   Would you somehow feel better about the situation if he took blame for pitchers pitching exactly the way their skill set's say they would or is it just a case of you wanting him to take blame for things to validate your opinions?

Look, I'm not a fan of Butcher's, but outside of Chili Davis and Dave Duncan, I'm not a fan of coaches as a whole.  Butcher has a bunch of guys who have always given up a lot of fly balls and HRs.   Early on they have given up a lot of fly balls and HRs...  Outside of reinventing who they are he's pretty much got to stay the course and they have to pitch to their ability.

BTW, Fernando Rodney is looking like the Rodney everyone had seen prior to last year..  He has a WHIP near 2.00 and an ERA over 7.00.  Is he back to being Fernando Rodney?  Does that pitching coach need to be fired?  Is he pitching to his talent level or is it just early and he is working out the kinks?

Somehow someone will take this post as a defense or Butcher. 

Just out of curiosity -- Do you really think his comments have ANY impact on ANYTHING?   Would you somehow feel better about the situation if he took blame for pitchers pitching exactly the way their skill set's say they would or is it just a case of you wanting him to take blame for things to validate your opinions?

Look, I'm not a fan of Butcher's, but outside of Chili Davis and Dave Duncan, I'm not a fan of coaches as a whole.  Butcher has a bunch of guys who have always given up a lot of fly balls and HRs.   Early on they have given up a lot of fly balls and HRs...  Outside of reinventing who they are he's pretty much got to stay the course and they have to pitch to their ability.

BTW, Fernando Rodney is looking like the Rodney everyone had seen prior to last year..  He has a WHIP near 2.00 and an ERA over 7.00.  Is he back to being Fernando Rodney?  Does that pitching coach need to be fired?  Is he pitching to his talent level or is it just early and he is working out the kinks?

Somehow someone will take this post as a defense or Butcher. 

I don't know if they have an impact or not.  All I know is, if I were trying really, really hard (now stay with me here) to fix the pitching...and still getting the results we are seeing game after game, I'd be a little stressed and maybe think about it while trying to sleep.  One thing is for sure, I wouldn't be so glib about it when speaking with the media and that's the point.  It's very telling.

Look, I have defended Butcher for a while now, but this makes it harder to do.  You don't lounge around in your easy chair with the house on fire.  What I don't understand is how his comment can be defended.  There's just no defense for saying something so damn stupid.

My guess is you've  never been faced with reporters questioning your job status like Butcher has. My guess is that you are projecting how think you would feel or respond to a situation you have never been remotely close to. 

Again, you're making way too much about his comments.