• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Guerrero

Frustrated with PT in LA(D) i think hes a perfect option in LF and maybe 3B in 2016. Yes there's a clause where if he's traded he can opt out but if the dodgers or the team that traded for him paid him a little more money then he'd waive that clause. Don't the angels have some wiggle room when it comes to money as well? He's owed 12m next yr and in 2017.

But...he's not a lefty. Also the angels can still keep Joyce and keep in on the bench or platoon at DH with Cowgill out for a while longer. Dodgers need pitching we have it

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger-report/post/_/id/15535/how-the-dodgers-could-trade-alex-guerrero

Edited by nando714

The Dodgers seem like they have plans for 3B Turner, OF Van Slyke, OF/IF Guerrero, OF Puig, OF Pederson, 1B Gonzo and 2B Oliveira to be full timers. Mattingly will need to get creative, but I'm sure they'll all play. It'll only get interesting once Seager arrives.

It does make it likely that Kendrick will be a FA though. If Scioscia truly is calling the shots, we might see the Angels sign Kendrick.

It does make it likely that Kendrick will be a FA though. If Scioscia truly is calling the shots, we might see the Angels sign Kendrick.

This would be interesting. But Giavotella has played well enough to where I doubt this is seriously considered. And Giavotella has been pretty consistent all year, so it would not surprise me if he ends up proving to be an adequate option at second.

But on the flip side, our offense is bad and there aren't many upgrade options. Second base might be one of the few positions we can reasonably upgrade.

This would be interesting. But Giavotella has played well enough to where I doubt this is seriously considered. And Giavotella has been pretty consistent all year, so it would not surprise me if he ends up proving to be an adequate option at second.

But on the flip side, our offense is bad and there aren't many upgrade options. Second base might be one of the few positions we can reasonably upgrade.

Third base..  If this team believes Giovatella can hold down 2B then they may want to consider whether or not HK can play third.  Look at the available FAs and the in house options -- hard to argue HK isn't better.

Sign me up for Alex Guerrero.  Yeah, he's been hitting poorly the last two months, but it's impossible to maintain any kind of a rhythm when you keep getting shuffled in and out of the lineup.  Mostly out, these last two months.  He can't be demoted to AAA to give him playing time, given his contract.  Trade for him, stick him in LF for 2-3 weeks, given him consistent playing time and see what happens.  Guarantee it'll be better than we're getting out of Joyce.

Two things to be wary of.

1) HK is 33 in 2016. Any contract should be for no longer than 3 years.

2) Re-acquisitions have a way of not working out a lot of times.

He is currently 31 for two more days..  next year will be his age 32 season -- same age Freese is currently.   Most re-aquisitions tend to happen years after their initial parting -- we are talking about a one year gap.

I agree three years would be the sweet spot, but I'd also imagine that moving from 2B to 3B would be easier on him physically as he ages...

I was a big proponent of Guerrero earlier in the year, then someone had told me he's 28 and we should wait to see how he plays out since he's an unknown.

That person was right, batting .214/.242/.389 since May 1.

He's not getting any playing time bc there's just not room for him . 8 at bats this month so far in july

He's not getting any playing time bc there's just not room for him . 8 at bats this month so far in july

He didn't help his cause any in the previous two months when he batted .231/.260/.418 (679 OPS) over 117 at bats...    Consider this, Matt Joyce managed a .709 OPS over that span in 138 at bats.   Was Joyce struggling because he wasn't getting enough at bats? -- there isn't a big enough difference in at bats to excuse Guerrero and condemn Joyce.   There isn't room for him because he played himself out of a job.  

I'm curious why you are willing to trade players and ante up a minimum of 15 mil the next two years for a guy who really hasn't proven he can hit other than in a 26 at bat span where he knocked out 5 HRs..   Really -- that's the extent of Alex Guerrero's legend...  26 at bats.

Edited by Inside Pitch

He didn't help his cause any in the previous two months when he batted .231/.260/.418 (679 OPS) over 117 at bats... Consider this, Matt Joyce managed a .709 OPS over that span in 138 at bats. Was Joyce struggling because he wasn't getting enough at bats? -- there isn't a big enough difference in at bats to excuse Guerrero and condemn Joyce. There isn't room for him because he played himself out of a job.

I'm curious why you are willing to trade players and ante up a minimum of 15 mil the next two years for a guy who really hasn't proven he can hit other than in a 26 at bat span where he knocked out 5 HRs.. Really -- that's the extent of Alex Guerrero's legend... 26 at bats.

But international presence

Third base.. If this team believes Giovatella can hold down 2B then they may want to consider whether or not HK can play third. Look at the available FAs and the in house options -- hard to argue HK isn't better.

people have mentioned that before and i thought they were crazy, being that i dodnt want to lose him at 2B, but its actually not a bad idea at all.

Giavotella is not going anywhere when we have number crunchers in the front office weighing player war against salary. This is a good thing.

Also they are not picking up Kendrick for third when they have Kubitza waiting in the wings. Another cost controlled player to free up payroll. Get used to it, raises for Trout and the rest of the long term contracts mean we will see less splash for the cash.

[quote name="Inside Pitch" post="623436" timestamp="1436547908" 

I'm curious why you are willing to trade players and ante up a minimum of 15 mil the next two years for a guy who really hasn't proven he can hit other than in a 26 at bat span where he knocked out 5 HRs..   Really -- that's the extent of Alex Guerrero's legend...  26 at bats.

He might be a relatively easy get, if you're willing to spend the money...If we're willing to assume the contract, Dodgers might let him go w/out a huge return....for us, risking 15 mil might be smarter than giving up good prospects for Revere, Lind, etc...

Giavotella is not going anywhere when we have number crunchers in the front office weighing player war against salary. This is a good thing.

Also they are not picking up Kendrick for third when they have Kubitza waiting in the wings. Another cost controlled player to free up payroll. Get used to it, raises for Trout and the rest of the long term contracts mean we will see less splash for the cash.

Not to mention Cowart MAYBE finally figuring it out at the plate.

Cowart's defense needs no work.

I don't have any insight into what they are willing to do with their dollars moving forward.   But yeah, Kubitza is cheap labor and Kowart isn't stinking at AAA.

He might be a relatively easy get, if you're willing to spend the money...If we're willing to assume the contract, Dodgers might let him go w/out a huge return....for us, risking 15 mil might be smarter than giving up good prospects for Revere, Lind, etc...

I don't particular care for Revere but he's a surer bet than Guerrero is.   There are a lot of variables with Guerrero... he's unproven, he's got an opt out clause if he gets traded..   Do they get him to to drop the opt out only to have him tank and be stuck with him or do they risk it then watch as he does well and then bolts.

Not sure he's worth all the trouble.   

i have no hope for that guy, though i dont know if theres true silver linings (that guys like doc or IP can point out), but at worst, maybe hed be a decent defensive replacement. Hows his speed/baserunning?

Nothing can really be taken from his AAA stats IMO.   The only questions about his game were his bat after he imploded, he's an above average runner from everything I've ever seen or read..  

What he's doing now is a complete 180 from what he's done the last two years and even this year in High A...  All of us have heard or read that he's gone back to his original mechanics and it's clicked for him but I don't know of anyone that can tell us if it will continue moving forward.

We get to watch and see if this is a step forward or a blip.

I don't particular care for Revere but he's a surer bet than Guerrero is. There are a lot of variables with Guerrero... he's unproven, he's got an opt out clause if he gets traded.. Do they get him to to drop the opt out only to have him tank and be stuck with him or do they risk it then watch as he does well and then bolts.

Not sure he's worth all the trouble.

Obviously we would be projecting w/ Guerrero for sure but he has some talent....W/out opening another can of worms, it would have a "Stoneman" feel to it....risking the money more than players in a trade...He never was afraid to sign a free agent, just hesitant to trade.... Edited by DMVol