• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who do you want for GM?

Follow your passion. As much as anything these jobs are a way of life that often require both resiliency and unconditional love of the game. In the end all types of skill sets and backgrounds work – but those that are rooted in true passion for the game are those that will last the longest. – Jerry Dipoto, Angels General Manager

See... this is why it feels like something died.

If we had a good GM, then Moreno must have been "able to discern his ass from a hole in the ground." The problem is not finding a good GM, it's managing a good GM. A GM has to report to someone, and that someone has to define what he can do or not do. And he has to back that GM when he believes he is right, and criticize him when he is wrong, privately.

To bring it back to Dipoto, I think Arte didn't define his role, he just said hey Jerry, you're our GM, go do a good job. And he probably didn't do a good job of telling him what he could do and what he couldn't do. And if you draw an Angels organization chart it would look more like both the GM and the manager report to Arte, that's not traditional, and it takes a lot of maintenance to make it work that way. Someone has to constantly buffer differences of opinion. So they hired an individual, Rico Brogna, to do that job, but they didn't give him any authority to properly do that job. He's was least a couple of levels below Scioscia and Dipoto in the organization, why should they listen to him?

It all comes down to relationships. Whoever gets hired better have a good relationship with Arte, then maybe he will be able to implement his ideas even if they differ from Scioscia's. It's either that or Scioscia goes, and you revert back to the traditional way of doing things, manager reports to GM, GM reports to owner, owner is a baseball god and can do what he wants with his baseball team.

So... Rico Brogna was like.. Arte's accountability coach?

steve phillips...only if he does pretend pressers for us.

seriously tho, Ive only been around this board since last season so, some of you probably arent familiar with my opinions on the team.  Those that are would probably place me in the "nutswinger" category.  I think Arte is the best thing that ever happened to this franchise, and I mean that seriousy.  He completely changed everything about the Angels.  I think Scioscia is a close 2nd (Trout is climbing up that ladder rapidly) anyway.  What would I like to see out of the next GM.  Well, I dont know names that well but in terms of philosophy I think someone who makes good use of analytics is very important.  I would also love to see someone who will actually take the international market seriously.  That is one area where the Angels are horrendous.  I'd also like to see someone who will continue to place a very high premium on pitching depth.  One thing with JeDi was that I believe he was a great pitching guy.  Hopefully we can find someone with acuman similar in that regard.  FInally, while I wasnt that fired up about taking taylor ward with our first pick in this last draft, I do think the strategy of collecting bats is the right one for the organization right now.  I hope to see another bat heavy draft next year.

Edited by UndertheHalo

someone who is 100% empowered and authorized to fire/hire the manager etc.

someone who is on the analytical side of things (kinda like the A's, Rays, Astros, Dodgers, etc.) but also incorporates traditional scouting, experience, etc. Tries to strike a balance.

That will never happen as long as Scioscia is here.

Why even hire a GM?

Just let Scioscia handle that part too.

Or if you must hire someone, go get Mickey Hatcher. 

Scioscia was the GM before JD. Remember Napoli for Vernon Wells, Skaggs and Corbin for Haren? He did get Tex for Kotch however.

I know I am not a nutswinger, but it doesn't really matter who the next GM is.

If Scioscia is here, he gets all the power.  By force if necessary.  That son of a bitch has ruined this team for me.

Brian used to hang out here as much as anybody.  We didn't all agree with Brian, but the board is a better place when he's here.

Follow your passion. As much as anything these jobs are a way of life that often require both resiliency and unconditional love of the game. In the end all types of skill sets and backgrounds work – but those that are rooted in true passion for the game are those that will last the longest. – Jerry Dipoto, FORMER Angels General Manager

fixed

Personally I think the current interim GM, Bill Stoneman, is the perfect foil for dealing with Scioscia.

As long as Mike is running the dugout he will not be listening to any young GM wiz kids telling him his business. But Stoneman has the years of respect that Scioscia will listen to and Stoneman is smart enough to feed something distasteful one spoon at a time rather than force feeding with a shovel.

The two worked together well, Stoneman was very protective of the minor leagues so he penny pinched his Rondons and didn't squander them. Still, he was able to fill the bench with players that Sciocia could use like the Palmiero, Davannon, Quinlan and an occasional Figgins to fill roles without having to supply a complete user manual as when to turn them on or off.

Do I want Stoneman long term? No. But as long as Scioscia is the field manager the Angels need a real executive to oversee him. Not someone with unbounded energy and passion for the newest way to change the game but someone that is smarter at playing the I'm in charge chess match.

Once Scioscia is gone then let the grand expirament begin.

Edited by notti