• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia "We'll be looking at some changes"

Pretty much.

The proof is in the pudding.

How many players actually make it that are drafted? Why does the same team draft ~10 players but only ~2 make it? Do the coaches only work with the successful players because the other ~8 fail? Does the Brandon Wood's of the world have great AA coaches, but bad AAA and major league coaches?

There were 1,215 players drafted this June. Do the math, it is more than 10 players per team.

The Angels picked last so good luck Jacob McDonald you are the recipient of the Mr. Irrelevant award.

Wilson for Ethier plus 5-10 million and Rhoades for Lind.

2B Giavotella - R

RF Calhoun - L

CF Trout - R

1B Pujols - R

LF Ethier - L

3B Freese - R

DH Lind - L

C Perez - R

SS Aybar - S

Insert Heaney into the rotation. Once the season ends (with a World Series victory of course), we let Freese go and get a draft pick. Replace with Kubitza. Trade Santiago for prospects, insert Skaggs into the rotation.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

Wilson for Ethier plus 5-10 million and Rhoades for Lind.

2B Giavotella - R

RF Calhoun - L

CF Trout - R

1B Pujols - R

LF Ethier - L

3B Freese - R

DH Lind - L

C Perez - R

SS Aybar - S

Insert Heaney into the rotation. Once the season ends (with a World Series victory of course), we let Freese go and get a draft pick. Replace with Kubitza. Trade Santiago for prospects, insert Skaggs into the rotation.

how in god's name do we get a draft pick for freese? you can't possibly be saying we give him a qualifying offer. he'd sign that in a new york minute.

how in god's name do we get a draft pick for freese? you can't possibly be saying we give him a qualifying offer. he'd sign that in a new york minute.

I don't know if I agree. After what Headley got from NY you can bet Freese will be looking for a similar contract. I could easily see him getting 3/39 or even 4/48. He's on pace for 20+ HR and 90+ RBI's this year. If he gets there, you can bet he'll ride those numbers into a sweet new contract.

Sure, the QO will be more money for one year, but he's going to want to sign a long term deal now. He'll be 34 at the start of 2017, which decreases the chances of anyone wanting to give him 3+ years.

I don't know if I agree. After what Headley got from NY you can bet Freese will be looking for a similar contract. I could easily see him getting 3/39 or even 4/48. He's on pace for 20+ HR and 90+ RBI's this year. If he gets there, you can bet he'll ride those numbers into a sweet new contract.

Sure, the QO will be more money for one year, but he's going to want to sign a long term deal now. He'll be 34 at the start of 2017, which decreases the chances of anyone wanting to give him 3+ years.

The angels don't give qualifying offers as a matter of policy.

The angels didn't give qualifying offers to either Vargas, or Torii Hunter. ( in Hunter's case they gave him an insulting lowball offer citing a tight payroll followed by giving Hamilton $25M a year ) Both those players eventually signed for the QO amount for multiple years with other teams.

Edited by ScottLux

The angels didn't even give qualifying offers to Vargas, or Torii Hunter ( they gave him an insulting lowball offer citing a tight payroll followed by giving Hamilton $25M a year ) even though both those players eventually signed for the QO amount for multiple years with other teams.

No Vargas didn't. Also the Angels did have a tight budget but that's because they preferred Greinke over Hunter, after Greinke signed with the Dodgers it was too late to sign Hunter, he was already with the Tigers. Vargas's deal wasn't close to $13 million a season.

No Vargas didn't. Also the Angels did have a tight budget but that's because they preferred Greinke over Hunter, after Greinke signed with the Dodgers it was too late to sign Hunter, he was already with the Tigers. Vargas's deal wasn't close to $13 million a season.

It's a shame that this shook out the way that it did, because if the Angels had re-upped with Hunter the Hamilton signing would not have happened.

Yup, T-Dawg bailed it. Freese might bet more money than Headley on the open market.

while i totally agree that he'd prefer a long term deal over a QO, preferences mean very little.

i'll put a six pack to each of you that the angels don't offer freese a QO (tdawg) and that he doesn't get a contract for more than headley (scotty). i don't see either happening.

lol I wouldn't actually bet anything, especially considering Freese's health history.

But we'll see. Jeff Fletcher agrees with you that there is no way he gets a QO. But his career offensive numbers are literally identical to Headley's. I just can't see him getting less than 3/36 on the open market. Would he really take the extra 2.someodd million for one year over a solid 3 year contract?

At least Scioscia is admitting that they need to change some things.

I'm not as encouraged as you are. This statement...

...trying to get a deeper lineup until some guys start to swing the way they’re capable of

...leads me to believe that he still firmly holds the belief that his players will eventually produce if he just keeps running them out there, when some of them may just be done.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

lol I wouldn't actually bet anything, especially considering Freese's health history.

But we'll see. Jeff Fletcher agrees with you that there is no way he gets a QO. But his career offensive numbers are literally identical to Headley's. I just can't see him getting less than 3/36 on the open market. Would he really take the extra 2.someodd million for one year over a solid 3 year contract?

Offensively, they are similar so long as you don't look at their three year profiles -- defensively it's not close.  

Focusing the comparison on the previous three years (2012-2014), Headley's put up an OPS+ of 123 to Freese's 111 -- that's a fairly significant gap.  Compare their WAR over that same span and Headley dwarf's Frreese 13.2 to 4.7 -- it's not remotely close. 

The QO last year was 15.3 Mil, it will likely go up again next year.  I have a hard time seeing Freese passing on a potential one year 17 mil deal.   I have a harder time believing a MLB team would be willing to lose a first rounder to sign David Freese.

Edited by Inside Pitch

How about we compare their last 4 seasons at the end of this year and we'll see how much better Headley has been. My guess is they'll be a lot closer.

There's no question Headley is better defensively. And is a better player overall. That's why I said he won't make as much, but I think it will be pretty close. The 3rd base class next year is awful, and Freese will likely be the most enticing option. If a team is desperate enough for an everyday 3rd baseman, I could see them giving up a first rounder for him.

That said, if the QO is closer to 17 million than 15 million, then this is all a moot point because Freese would probably accept that offer.