• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angel Stadium Renovation

i also like the idea of a retractable roof since i hate sitting in the sun during hot days.

Did the 14-year old tank say this too, or has age played a role in this sentiment?     For the record, I agree 100%  12yo-fun day in the sun, 22/32-let's be a shirtless douche and slam down 15 beers.  42-SHADE!!!!

from CaliAngelFan

Tank, on 15 Apr 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:snapback.png

i also like the idea of a retractable roof since i hate sitting in the sun during hot days.

Just as my late great east-coast step-grandfather used to call me and my younger brother, you sir, sound like a "California Sissy Boy"

skin cancer. plastic seats so hot that if you're sitting in the sun they can burn your skin. sun burn. none of these things enhance the fan experience for me. a retractable roof on super hot days (like 95* plus) would be useful for fans without affecting the game one iota.

Tank, on 15 Apr 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:snapback.png

do we have good pizza at the ball park? if not, we should fix that.

Who eats pizza at a baseball game?

no one, because their pizza sucks. anything wrong with having another option?

I have a feeling, that when the stadium was built.  The mountain range was supposed to be the backdrop.  Then smog moved in and blocked the view.  

Santa Anita Park gets rave reviews from out of town visitors, especially during Breeders Cup when it's at Santa Anita and filled with people from around the world, because the mountains are right there.  The view is just spectacular to watch a sporting event.

Unfortunately for the Angels, they have no skyline or mountains to view.  

As for location on the lot.  Couldn't the Angels do what the Cardinals did when they did a renovation?  Build like most of the stadium just outside of the current one.  Then demolish the old stadium and finish up the rest in the offseason.  Would be inconvenient for a season or two, but in the end, it'll be near the same location.

If Arte wants to further the image of the Angels franchise, keep the fans happy and attract new fans, he really needs to build a new stadium in the current location.  That's the best situation for all involved.  Build up or work with a developer for some mixed use developments adjacent to the stadium with eating, shopping and hotel options.  Make the space more lively on game days, and if the tenant mix is right, it would be successful by itself in the offseason.  Like others have said, start building in the parking lot adjacent to the stadium, and demo once the new stadium is built. He has a lot of space to work with and around, thankfully. Just need to hammer out the details with the City. 

I don't really know what is wrong with the current stadium that can't be fixed with a serious remodel. Seems to have a pretty standard design that works well for watching baseball. Needs new bathrooms and plumbing, and whatever "infrastructure" makes the food service so awful. I'm sure Arte would like more suites etc. None of this is insurmountable.

But it'll never be safeco or AT&T or petco because it will never be in a town like Seattle or San Francisco or San Diego.

^^^

i agree. some minor things here and there to enhance the overall experience. i always liked the original outfield where the Big A was in left and was used as a scoreboard, plus the cars on the freeway could look into the ballpark. they got part of that done right in '98. i wonder how they can restore the Big A to it's rightful place.

^^^

i agree. some minor things here and there to enhance the overall experience. i always liked the original outfield where the Big A was in left and was used as a scoreboard, plus the cars on the freeway could look into the ballpark. they got part of that done right in '98. i wonder how they can restore the Big A to it's rightful place.

Blow up the stupid rockpile and put it there.

The walkways around the stadium are pretty narrow. It doesn't allow for vendors on both sides of the walkways. The lines back up and it makes getting around the stadium (especially the upper deck) uncomfortable. If you're stuck in a long line purple will have to walk through the lines to pass and if you're walking around you will have to move through the lines.

I'm not a construction expert but I think those are problems that will take more than a minor upgrade to fix. Also I think there were some issues with the concrete that could be from structural issues?

But honestly, the stadium could be serviceable for 100 years like Wrigley or Fenway but aside from the history those are pretty crappy places to watch a game.

Arte doesn't need a new stadium but he wants one. It's his team so he'll probably get one. If you go to the Charger's message board there is a new stadium thread there. It was started in 2006. There are fans there that still say the Q is fine, Spanos should remodel it and be happy. Spanos doesn't want a remodel. The Chargers are now in talks to move to Carson. Moreno doesn't want a remodel.

That's why I said "serious remodel".

The last few years I've watched most live MLB games at either safeco or Angels stadium, and the things that stick out to me as differences are quality of food and food venues, number of restroom fixtures, and downtown Seattle. Angels stadium is still a fine place to watch a ballgame. It's the other stuff that needs some work.

That's why I said "serious remodel".

The last few years I've watched most live MLB games at either safeco or Angels stadium, and the things that stick out to me as differences are quality of food and food venues, number of restroom fixtures, and downtown Seattle. Angels stadium is still a fine place to watch a ballgame. It's the other stuff that needs some work.

For the cost of a serious remodel that it would take to get on par with Safeco it would probably be nearly as costly as a new build. factor in there couldn't be construction for 6 months a year and a new stadium is a better option. But even if that wasn't justification enough as I said, if Arte is convinced a new stadium is the way to go trying to convince him to stay for a remodel is just a waste of time.

For the cost of a serious remodel that it would take to get on par with Safeco it would probably be nearly as costly as a new build. factor in there couldn't be construction for 6 months a year and a new stadium is a better option. But even if that wasn't justification enough as I said, if Arte is convinced a new stadium is the way to go trying to convince him to stay for a remodel is just a waste of time.

New stadiums are bonkers expensive. And it was Arte who proposed and was pushing the land deal to fund a renovation. The move/new stadium threats have all been because Anaheim nixed that plan.

Definitely the downside of moving anywhere in OC, no city skyline.

Check out these drawings from Portland's failed bid for the Expos in '04:http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/Portland04_R.html

City skyline AND Mt. Hood? Move to Portland, Arte.

With all of the rain Portland gets an open stadium is ****ing stupid.