• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Random Links Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Landing is easy, every plane will land with or without a pilot. Surviving that is the hard part.

At age 17 I had a flying lesson with an Air Force Colonel in a WWII Piper Cub, we called it the paper airplane in Civil Air Patrol. We took off from Fullerton airport at what had to have been about 75 mph or in airspeed close to 65 knots. Flew a small radius around the airport then the instructor tells me we are going to do a touch and go and calls it into the tower. 

At the time Fullerton airport had power lines in front of the runway, for some stupid reason, so I couldn't come in on a low flat trajectory. I had to clear the power lines, drop down to the landing strip then on cue gas it and pull up for the go part of the touch and go before we ran out of strip. 

My friends on the ground though I was going to stall, the climb was pretty steep but in the cockpit the Colonel just calmly said, push forward on the stick, please and level off. There are no warning buzzers, no advanced electronics in an old Piper but I had a Colonel with ice water in his veins keeping us airborne rather than augered in but never once touched the controls. 

The second landing wasn't too bad and my total flight time was about 20 minutes. Those were the most exciting 20 minutes of my life at the time. I never have had the chance to fly since and the cost now is prohibitive but for 20 minutes I was a pilot. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I watched Airplane the other day and told my daughter to watch it with me. She said it was dumb and didn't make sense. I've failed as a parent in teaching my daughter what great comedies used to look like. 

Funny I just met up with my brother and we had a similar conversation. He tried watching Vacation with his daughter the other day and 20 minutes in she said the movie was boring and left the room. Different generation.

On 8/3/2023 at 4:56 PM, Blarg said:

Landing is easy, every plane will land with or without a pilot. Surviving that is the hard part.

At age 17 I had a flying lesson with an Air Force Colonel in a WWII Piper Cub, we called it the paper airplane in Civil Air Patrol. We took off from Fullerton airport at what had to have been about 75 mph or in airspeed close to 65 knots. Flew a small radius around the airport then the instructor tells me we are going to do a touch and go and calls it into the tower. 

At the time Fullerton airport had power lines in front of the runway, for some stupid reason, so I couldn't come in on a low flat trajectory. I had to clear the power lines, drop down to the landing strip then on cue gas it and pull up for the go part of the touch and go before we ran out of strip. 

My friends on the ground though I was going to stall, the climb was pretty steep but in the cockpit the Colonel just calmly said, push forward on the stick, please and level off. There are no warning buzzers, no advanced electronics in an old Piper but I had a Colonel with ice water in his veins keeping us airborne rather than augered in but never once touched the controls. 

The second landing wasn't too bad and my total flight time was about 20 minutes. Those were the most exciting 20 minutes of my life at the time. I never have had the chance to fly since and the cost now is prohibitive but for 20 minutes I was a pilot. 

I had a similarly fantastic half hour at a similar age when flying one of these. The noise and general shaking and rattling was something else. Great fun once you get over the sense you're flying in something made in your uncle's shed from old washing machines and lawn mowers. I didn't get to land it though.

th-603873546.jpg

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Gnar.  Hopefully they save them.

Pakistan cable car rescue under way for eight people trapped

Can't really tell what's happening since they are replaying and it's not in English.  But looks like in the comments 4 kids were saved so far.

Four children rescued from stranded Pakistan cable car amid race to save others
https://news.yahoo.com/children-trapped-1-200-feet-073531141.html

Four children have been rescued from a cable car dangling hundreds of feet over a valley in northwest Pakistan, a military source and a rescue services officia...