• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yosemite National Park

Has always been on my hit list of places to visit, but I have never gotten around to it. A few questions for anyone who has.

1. How many days are needed? We are casual hikers, and would like to see all the sights.

2. Where to stay? The Tenaya Lodge looks cool, but is it too far?

3. I would like to do this in combo with something else, but it looks like it is a ride from anywhere else. I was thinking doing half Tahoe, half Yosemite, or maybe half Monterey. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I've been there for a week the last two summers, and my wife's family has been going there every year for a long time.  I'd say give yourself at least five days.  We stay in the Upper Pines campground, but I'm not sure about the non-camping lodging.  For the campgrounds, you have to reserve months in advance and the sites are usually booked within seconds (no exaggeration) of being posted.  

went there for a class trip many, many years ago. three days seemed to be ample for us. the beauty there is impressive, so make sure you have a good camera.

i recommend monterey. they've done a lot to build up their cannery row in recent years, and the aquarium is excellent, something your kids will especially enjoy. one or two days there would be fine, unless you're a golfer (then you'd want about a week). gilroy is not too far away and they have an outlet mall there for your shopping needs.

Tenaya is a really big lodge and is a nice place to stay. Several restaraunts and activities to do if you want to skip the Valley for a day. The drive down isn't too bad and Inthink there are shuttles.

There is a nice giant sequoia drove only a few minutes from the lodge that has some nice hikes.

The Valley is great (super crowded in the Summer) and Toulumne Meadows is beautiful and less crowded. There are some great hikes all over the park.

To be honest though, I don't go to Yosemite very often because it is so crowded.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon get way less people and they absolutely rival Yosemite in beauty. From the Giant Sequoias in the mid elevations to Kings Canyon down below. Lodging is a little more difficult because you have tonstay in the park.

If you want more info on Sequoia/kings let me know.

Tenaya lodge is a nice place, with a lot of activities near for the kids. Hiking, fishing, horseback riding, etc.  Around an hour to Yosemite valley on a windy road.

Mariposa grove is awesome, close to Tenaya but set to close for 2 years starting this June/July. Not sure when your trip is, but check out this link for more info:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm

For the first time visitor, I would stay a minimum of night days, just enough to see all the sights and hikes at a leisurely pace.

No dogs allowed in the National Parks except maybe in the parking lot.

If you want to bring your dog recommend the Mammoth area which is very dog-friendly.  Lots of great hikes and great swims for your dog.

Plenty of summer rentals available in Mammoth.

You can have dogs in Kings Canyon/ Sequoia. Maybe not on the trails, but we went all over with our dog last summer( Oh, loved the park and there was a lot more to do than I thought.)

I thought Monterrey was a one day place to visit, but we didn't go to the aquarium.

San Fran has a lot to do. We spent a day at the park about a month ago. Lots more we didn't get to. If you don't want to spend the big bucks to stay there, Anthony Chabot Regional Park (county) is a great place to camp.  

Dogs are allowed in national parks, just not on trails. They are allowed in campgrounds, but must be leashed.

That being said, dogs are allowed on hiking trails in National Forests. There is a National Forest that runs in and around Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. You miss some of the big attractions, but find more solitude

Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite takes dogs, but only a few at a time, so you have to clear it with them. As of a few years ago, they also offered dog sitting services so you could go into the park dog free. It really is a great lodge.

My Step Sister works at Tenya, it is definitely 5 star location just outside the entrance to the park.

If you want to camp in the valley, like Glen said, you should make a reservation 1 year + 1 day in advance of when you want to stay to guarantee you get a spot.

Hiking in the valley is worth the time. 

One of my HS friends plays piano a few nights a week at the Wawona Hotel, just inside the south entrance.  It is an interesting place to have brunch, or dinner.  They really deck it out during the Winter Holidays.

Lots of other things to see in this part of the country.

Iron Door Saloon in Groveland (western entrance to Yosemite), cool place to stop if you are on the western road in or out of the valley.

Highway 49 which starts at Oakhurst and heads north through the Gold Country.  Lots of small towns with wooden sidewalks and antique shops.

http://www.historichwy49.com/mainmap.html

As mentioned Monterey with the aquarium is worth a stop if you have time.

If you get that far, San Francisco for a day is great as well.  I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Daly City, just a short walk from the train into the city.

San Francisco, just my opinion, would be Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park (could spend a whole day just there), the warf and China Town.

We took a walking tour in China Town (I ate my way through China Town), which was very cool.

I am sure Mr. Wicked will have other suggestions.

Southeast from Yosemite is Sequoia, which has some of the oldest trees.  Good day trip if you are in the area.

Edited by Slegnaac

If you are casual hikers, then it's impossible to see all the sights. But there are some fantastic easy/intermediate hikes. For your first visit, stay in the area for a week. Here are some of my favorite hikes in Yosemite:

- Mist Trail. My favorite hike anywhere. You hike right up against a waterfall so it might be a good idea to bring a light poncho. You will get wet. Pack a lunch and start the hike mid morning. Have lunch when you reach the top of Vernal Falls. Do this hike early in your trip and find a short hike the day after.

- Artist Point. Short hike and the title says it all. Great scenery of bridal vail falls and the valley. You can see parts of half dome.

- Bridal Vail falls. It's not much of a hike to the base of the falls. But it's packed with people taking pics.

- Lower Yosemite Falls. Probably the busiest trail in the entire park. It's short with no elevation. But it's a must to walk the bridge over the lower falls. If you want to hike to Upper Yosemite Falls.... GOOD LUCK!

- Glacier Point. Best view in all of the park...and maybe the US. Again, not much of a hike.

- Taft Point. It's by Glacier Point and not bad of a hike. When you get to Taft Point, let me know how close to the guard rail you get.

- Tuolumne Meadows - There are a lot of casual hikes in the meadow. Hit up Tenaya Lake. What's great about this are it's very vast so it doesn't feel crowded.

- Rent a raft while in the Yosemite Valley. http://www.yosemitepark.com/rafting.aspx. I did this about a year ago and thought it was fantastic. Just relax down a slow moving river while taking in the view. Plus you can stop along the shore whenever you want.

As mentioned here, Giant Sequioa National Park is worth the trip. I've been there countless of times and still love making the trip. The Giant Redwoods are awe inspiring. Can't really describe it until you've seen them in person. If you decide to fit this into your trip, I can give you more ideas for hiking. I would pick this over Monterey.

If you do stay toward Tuolumne, you might want to consider heading over to Mammoth for a day or 2. It isn't that far from that side of Yosemite. I also find Mammoth to be more relaxing since it's not as crowded. A fantastic hike is Devils Postpile. It's basically massive amounts of lava rock that cooled in a crazy formation. There is also a nice waterfall hike.

Thank you all for some great ideas. Living in NJ, things are so much closer to each other, so I am always amazed when I look at a California map and see the distances between locations.

No dog anymore, so that is not an issue.

I have done San Francisco a few times including last summer, so that is off the list.

I am liking the idea of seeing Kings Canyon/Sequioa, but don't know if an entire vacation of National Parks is going to fly with the wife and kiddies.

We have a big credit with Jet Blue, so I was thinking of flying into Reno (just started nonstop from NYC) spending a few days in Lake Tahoe, then moving on from there. Probably will fly back out of San Francisco depending on where I end up. Seems to make more sense than doubling back to Reno.

Thanks mancini, I almost forgot about Taft point after years of nightmares about falling off that cliff side. Just googleing the pics brought back the memories of that hike when I was a kid and some fat women that barreled by me going down and bumped me to the edge of the trail. The bottoms of my feet are buzzing right now just thinking of it. I haven't been up that way since High School but everyone is right, the place is huge and you will miss stuff even if you camp it for a week.

If you are casual hikers, then it's impossible to see all the sights. But there are some fantastic easy/intermediate hikes. For your first visit, stay in the area for a week. Here are some of my favorite hikes in Yosemite:

- Mist Trail. My favorite hike anywhere. You hike right up against a waterfall so it might be a good idea to bring a light poncho. You will get wet. Pack a lunch and start the hike mid morning. Have lunch when you reach the top of Vernal Falls. Do this hike early in your trip and find a short hike the day after.

- Artist Point. Short hike and the title says it all. Great scenery of bridal vail falls and the valley. You can see parts of half dome.

- Bridal Vail falls. It's not much of a hike to the base of the falls. But it's packed with people taking pics.

- Lower Yosemite Falls. Probably the busiest trail in the entire park. It's short with no elevation. But it's a must to walk the bridge over the lower falls. If you want to hike to Upper Yosemite Falls.... GOOD LUCK!

- Glacier Point. Best view in all of the park...and maybe the US. Again, not much of a hike.

- Taft Point. It's by Glacier Point and not bad of a hike. When you get to Taft Point, let me know how close to the guard rail you get.

- Tuolumne Meadows - There are a lot of casual hikes in the meadow. Hit up Tenaya Lake. What's great about this are it's very vast so it doesn't feel crowded.

- Rent a raft while in the Yosemite Valley. http://www.yosemitepark.com/rafting.aspx. I did this about a year ago and thought it was fantastic. Just relax down a slow moving river while taking in the view. Plus you can stop along the shore whenever you want.

As mentioned here, Giant Sequioa National Park is worth the trip. I've been there countless of times and still love making the trip. The Giant Redwoods are awe inspiring. Can't really describe it until you've seen them in person. If you decide to fit this into your trip, I can give you more ideas for hiking. I would pick this over Monterey.

If you do stay toward Tuolumne, you might want to consider heading over to Mammoth for a day or 2. It isn't that far from that side of Yosemite. I also find Mammoth to be more relaxing since it's not as crowded. A fantastic hike is Devils Postpile. It's basically massive amounts of lava rock that cooled in a crazy formation. There is also a nice waterfall hike.

Probably my favorite part of going to Yosemite.  

Thank you all for some great ideas. Living in NJ, things are so much closer to each other, so I am always amazed when I look at a California map and see the distances between locations.

No dog anymore, so that is not an issue.

I have done San Francisco a few times including last summer, so that is off the list.

I am liking the idea of seeing Kings Canyon/Sequioa, but don't know if an entire vacation of National Parks is going to fly with the wife and kiddies.

We have a big credit with Jet Blue, so I was thinking of flying into Reno (just started nonstop from NYC) spending a few days in Lake Tahoe, then moving on from there. Probably will fly back out of San Francisco depending on where I end up. Seems to make more sense than doubling back to Reno.

If you start at Reno you can swing by Tahoe, then SW to gold country. Murphys California is a cute little town. They have an interesting little cavern. From HWY 49 you can get into Yosemite on HWY 120.