• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arod being heckled by NY Media

nate

How fast do you think they threw in the Ruth era?

there were guys throwing 100 even back then. medicine, mechanics and role play have only served to increase the number who do. your line of thinking is flawed and ill informed.

Edited by ukyah

Assuming Jason Giambi was the most dominant force the league had ever seen.

So your argument is baseball talent has evolved. No shit. Everything in the world has evolved.

Not the double-double.   Same great taste and the freshest, highest quality foods since 1948.    ;)

There haven't exactly been a glut of legendary black pitchers.

Bob Gibson and uhhhhh Satchel Paige in the Negro Leagues.

Ken Hill was pretty good I guess.

It's not about legendary pitching necessarily, but rather raising the talent depth of pitching overall.

the perception of what it would have been like to have all races and creeds playing baseball back in the Ruth era is interesting.  

would it have raised the floor and lowered the ceiling?  probably

how well developed was baseball in other countries at that point?  how many actual players were there?  would there just have been more teams which would have kept the baseline pool of talent the same?  

I wonder if it's like asking what would happen if MLB and NPB just suddenly decided to combine.  

In all likelihood, the floor talent in MLB was much higher than in any other country or among any other ethnic group based on sheer development and resources.

I still think the great players would have been great.  Their numbers wouldn't be quite so gaudy and there would have been more of them.  

• 1 month later...

Re: Old time pitchers. The electrical contractor that my father once worked for, and the man who loaned him the money to build the house that I grew up in, had a cup of coffee with the Boston Braves in 1919. He once faced Walter Johnson in a spring training game. The technology didn't exist then to measure how fast pitchers threw, but he said that he never saw anything like it before or since. He said that the ball looked like it had a tail on it as it came toward the plate. He said that teammates came back to the bench shaking their heads, saying that they couldn't react to the pitch half of the time because of the velocity.

^I think the scariest thing being a batter once you get out of high school is the sound of the ball once the velocity gets over 90. You can literally hear it cutting through the air as it wizzes by, and to be honest that was one of the more terrifying things for me to get over as a batter. Especially when that thing is coming within inches of your body.