• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sometimes it's the little things

This is an emotional thing for me. I feel like I have found something tangible that still remains of what was a very big part of my father's life. It's hard for me to explain. In the same museum, also preserved for display, is one of the F-106s that was among the final group of planes he worked on before he retired. I hope that they have also kept one of the F-102s, one of the planes I sought shade from the summer sun under when I was about ten years old.

As far as the tail number goes, it is one of several bits of what I have up until now considered useless trivia circulating in my brain that I would never need again (like the VIN off the first new car I bought, a 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring).

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I chatted with my sister tonight on Facebook. She is studying at the University of Florida to be a nurse practitioner. While most of her class work is online, she occasionally has to drive from Jacksonville to Gainesville (about an hour and a half trip by car) to see her advisor on campus. Depending upon which route you take, sometimes you pass directly by Camp Blanding. I told her this story, and she paused. "I drove by that plane twice on Tuesday", she said. "I had no idea that it was the very gooney bird that Daddy used to talk about."

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

This is a question that I never expected an answer to. There are even planes sitting in museums that you cannot find registration records for. I have not found a registration record for this plane to know where she went or what she did after leaving FANG in the 1960s. Someone who knows these things far better than I do says that her full registration number is 42-100597 (meaning that she was built in Fiscal Year 1942). I was trying every variation I could think of, some with tail numbers and some without, and I tried C-47 Florida to see if maybe at least there was an old photo of her somewhere on the internet (I never found a historical photo). The FANG website has several historic photos (I didn't see my father in any of them) that included some of their older planes, but none of the C-47. On about the third page of my last search I saw something about a C-47 at Camp Blanding. The first couple of photos were taken from in front of the plane, so I couldn't see the tail number. Then I saw a side shot. My eyes welled with tears when I saw the tail number. Something that my father spent countless hours maintaining will be forever preserved.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

• 5 years later...