• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins to sign Torii Hunter

Mark68

So they hate his opinions and then ask him to repeat them again so they can hate on him some more. He doesn't give them the pleasure so they still find ways to hate on him.

"Everyone must think the same!!"

Plus 1

And what would his views on anything outside of baseball have anything to do with his baseball press conference?

I dont hear many baseball questions asked at news conferences....

Plus 1

And what would his views on anything outside of baseball have anything to do with his baseball press conference?

I dont hear many baseball questions asked at news conferences....

FWIW:

Berardino later issued this statement about the incident to KARE11:

The purpose of my final two questions posed to Twins outfielder Torii Hunter at today's news conference was not to make him feel uncomfortable or to force him to expound on his previously stated views on gay marriage.

Rather, having read the strong criticism directed toward him on social media and via Deadspin.com in light of his recent endorsement of Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, which included a comment related to gay marriage, I wanted to give Mr. Hunter an opportunity to respond to his critics.

I also asked him if he thought the political backlash might have impacted his recent job search as he eventually settled for a one-year contract at a 19-percent decrease in his average annual salary. Finally, I asked Mr. Hunter if he intended to be as open with his political and religious views moving forward after having gone through this recent experience.

I asked the same questions a few minutes later of Katrina Hunter, his wife, and she offered well-reasoned answers that did not include insults at my expense. I published her complete answers, as well as those of her husband, on my Twins Now blog at TwinCities.com.

Regardless, I consider the unfortunate matter closed and I look forward to covering Mr. Hunter throughout the 2015 baseball season.

He used his name and reputation as a ballplayer to make a political endorsement.

Like lots of folks.  That would be like a reporter going to an athelete's signing press conference and asking him/her, since you supported a pro-choice candidate, do you think that might have hurt your signing since you like to kill babies?

FWIW:

Berardino later issued this statement about the incident to KARE11:

The purpose of my final two questions posed to Twins outfielder Torii Hunter at today's news conference was not to make him feel uncomfortable or to force him to expound on his previously stated views on gay marriage.

Rather, having read the strong criticism directed toward him on social media and via Deadspin.com in light of his recent endorsement of Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, which included a comment related to gay marriage, I wanted to give Mr. Hunter an opportunity to respond to his critics.

I also asked him if he thought the political backlash might have impacted his recent job search as he eventually settled for a one-year contract at a 19-percent decrease in his average annual salary. Finally, I asked Mr. Hunter if he intended to be as open with his political and religious views moving forward after having gone through this recent experience.

I asked the same questions a few minutes later of Katrina Hunter, his wife, and she offered well-reasoned answers that did not include insults at my expense. I published her complete answers, as well as those of her husband, on my Twins Now blog at TwinCities.com.

Regardless, I consider the unfortunate matter closed and I look forward to covering Mr. Hunter throughout the 2015 baseball season.

Right, and how stupid is that?  I mean his contract was less because of his political views, not because he is getting older and his career is winding down. 

He used his name and reputation as a ballplayer to make a political endorsement.

true, but thats two different things. If a reporter wants to ask him about whatever topic, no problem, its common. But you dont ask non related questions at a press conference...unless youre trying to create a story that isnt there.

If this reporter was at the event, im sure he has a press pass. No reason he couldnt ask the same question at the locker or spring training camp.

Good for Torii. I wish more athletes would put reporters in their place when they feel it's warranted.

Yep.

Reporters have a job to do, and lets fave it, were all media whores. Maybe those of us on here dont watxh tmz, but we hear rumors of mystery team and we go insane.

That said, far too many of them step past their boundaries and think its their job. And for the person being interviewed, they have to bite their tongue or risk a career of stepping on egg shells

Haven't read the rest of this thread but my 2 cents: Although Torii may have opened himself up to receiving questions like the ones the reporter asked, it was NOT the setting nor the time to ask them. This was supposed to be a "feel good" return to the Twins in his retirement year and the reporter purposely asked the questions that he knew would be inflammatory to the occasion.