• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Padres Marketing Grandal More Aggressively

Mark68

Yeeeess. Why not take a page out of the A's book and have three catchers? Iannetta can DH and still get some time behind the plate (maybe a 1st base alternative?), Grandal can starter against RHP, Bandy/Perez can be the backup and play against LHP- ditto with Iannetta. Grandal/Iannetta, Pujols, Kendrick, Aybar, Freese, Calhoun, and Trout would be dangerous. Don't know what it'll take to get him though. Cron? 

I don't think the Angels have any real interest in Grandal. Grandal is a great pitch framer just like Conger and we traded the latter away. Additionally both Perez and Williams (and Cutler to a lesser extent) are considered good defensive catchers.

The Angels don't appear to have a need for him in my opinion.

The reason I wouldn't trade Cron is mostly because his value is low and is set to go up from here.  Right handed power gets serious prospects in trades, as Mark Trumbo showed.  Even RH's that have holes in their game or are one-dimensional.  Cron improved in the second half of AA and absolutely torched the Arizona Fall League.  He was the best hitter in a league that included some of the premier talent in minor league baseball.  Then he smacked the crap out of the ball and was the best hitter in the PCL for the 50 games he was in Salt Lake. 

This of course isn't to say he'll succeed right away in major league baseball, but he's only 24 years old.  Give him everyday AB's and by next year you'll have a .270 30 HR type of player that's still under team control for 5 more years.  That type of player nets you either very good prospects or good MLB ready players. 

Trading Cron right now not only would be a mistake, it'd leave a hole in the Angels offense.  You don't trade him unless you get something your REALLY NEED in return.  Not something you want.  

The reason I wouldn't trade Cron is mostly because his value is low and is set to go up from here.  Right handed power gets serious prospects in trades, as Mark Trumbo showed.  Even RH's that have holes in their game or are one-dimensional.  Cron improved in the second half of AA and absolutely torched the Arizona Fall League.  He was the best hitter in a league that included some of the premier talent in minor league baseball.  Then he smacked the crap out of the ball and was the best hitter in the PCL for the 50 games he was in Salt Lake. 

This of course isn't to say he'll succeed right away in major league baseball, but he's only 24 years old.  Give him everyday AB's and by next year you'll have a .270 30 HR type of player that's still under team control for 5 more years.  That type of player nets you either very good prospects or good MLB ready players. 

Trading Cron right now not only would be a mistake, it'd leave a hole in the Angels offense.  You don't trade him unless you get something your REALLY NEED in return.  Not something you want.  

Yeeeeeeah I'd still rather have Iannetta DH'ing and Grandal/Perez/Bandy behind the plate. I think you have his average mistaken with his OBP ;) 

The reason I wouldn't trade Cron is mostly because his value is low and is set to go up from here. Right handed power gets serious prospects in trades, as Mark Trumbo showed. Even RH's that have holes in their game or are one-dimensional. Cron improved in the second half of AA and absolutely torched the Arizona Fall League. He was the best hitter in a league that included some of the premier talent in minor league baseball. Then he smacked the crap out of the ball and was the best hitter in the PCL for the 50 games he was in Salt Lake.

This of course isn't to say he'll succeed right away in major league baseball, but he's only 24 years old. Give him everyday AB's and by next year you'll have a .270 30 HR type of player that's still under team control for 5 more years. That type of player nets you either very good prospects or good MLB ready players.

Trading Cron right now not only would be a mistake, it'd leave a hole in the Angels offense. You don't trade him unless you get something your REALLY NEED in return. Not something you want.

I wouldn't call him the "best hitter in the PCL." He out up a respectable .896 OPS. Good, but nothing amazing considering (1) he was 24, and (2) it was the PCL. It wasn't that long ago Brandon Wood was regularly putting up a .900+ OPS in that league.

That being said, I agree that his trade value may not be optimal right now.

Yeeeeeeah I'd still rather have Iannetta DH'ing and Grandal/Perez/Bandy behind the plate. I think you have his average mistaken with his OBP ;)

Hit .256 in sporadic play in his rookie season.  Hit .290 or higher at every stop except AA in the minors.  Career BB% hovers around 6%.  I'd say .270/.320 would be the norm for him.  It's short-sighted to want to trade your future #4/5 hitter for 4 years of a good-not-great catcher.  Now if the Padres added someone like Trea Turner or Jose Rondon to the package, then you make the move. 

Instead of Cron I'd see if the Padres would be interested in guys like Grant Green or Nat Delgado.  I know they're looking at bats over arms. 

I wouldn't call him the "best hitter in the PCL." He out up a respectable .896 OPS. Good, but nothing amazing considering (1) he was 24, and (2) it was the PCL. It wasn't that long ago Brandon Wood was regularly putting up a .900+ OPS in that league.

That being said, I agree that his trade value may not be optimal right now.

The thing is, no one in the PCL was really standing out in April/May.  Maybe Jon Singleton.  But at the time of his promotion, he was hitting the ball better than anyone else in the PCL. 

On November 7, 2012, MLB suspended Grandal for 50 games for testing positive for having a high testosterone level. He did not appeal the suspension and served his suspension at the beginning of the 2013 season.[18][19]

In a January 2013 report, Grandal, along with several other Major League Baseball players, was linked to Biogenesis of America, a clinic that allegedly produces performance enhancing drugs.[20] On July 6, 2013, Grandal suffered a knee injury and left the game. An MRI revealed that there was significant damage in the ACL and MCL, which prematurely ended Grandal's 2013 season. He underwent surgery to repair the torn ACL and MCL on July 9, 2013.

Pass

On November 7, 2012, MLB suspended Grandal for 50 games for testing positive for having a high testosterone level. He did not appeal the suspension and served his suspension at the beginning of the 2013 season.[18][19]

In a January 2013 report, Grandal, along with several other Major League Baseball players, was linked to Biogenesis of America, a clinic that allegedly produces performance enhancing drugs.[20] On July 6, 2013, Grandal suffered a knee injury and left the game. An MRI revealed that there was significant damage in the ACL and MCL, which prematurely ended Grandal's 2013 season. He underwent surgery to repair the torn ACL and MCL on July 9, 2013.

Pass

This info should save us some Rondons.