• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Discover Card account was hacked

My Discover Card account was hacked.  I had a balance of about $75 Cashback dollars and somebody cashed out $60 at Lands End in an eGift Card.  There were no fraudulent charges on the card itself. 

Keep an eye on your e-mails to see if the rewards dollars have been cashed out. 

Glad you got refunded the amount and not too much damage was done. I had $3,500 stolen from my checking account while I was in the UK this year. Since I was traveling, I didn't check my online bank account for 6 days, which is why they were able to get out so much. Apparently, those Brits have machines that they put in ATMs that copy the strip and they put a camera up to see you type in your PIN. It really sucked as my card was obviously stopped and I had no way of getting cash out for the remainder of my stay. I was at least refunded what they took, so that's nice.

Glad you got refunded the amount and not too much damage was done. I had $3,500 stolen from my checking account while I was in the UK this year. Since I was traveling, I didn't check my online bank account for 6 days, which is why they were able to get out so much. Apparently, those Brits have machines that they put in ATMs that copy the strip and they put a camera up to see you type in your PIN. It really sucked as my card was obviously stopped and I had no way of getting cash out for the remainder of my stay. I was at least refunded what they took, so that's nice.

Card skimmers are a big problem in the US also.  Funny thing is, the EU I think has much better credit card systems, since I believe their cards all have chips in them.  So skimming is probably mainly targetting US tourists, since they know they won't be back home to check anytime soon.

Card skimmers are a big problem in the US also.  Funny thing is, the EU I think has much better credit card systems, since I believe their cards all have chips in them.  So skimming is probably mainly targetting US tourists, since they know they won't be back home to check anytime soon.

I agree with this.  I had my skimmed here and somebody used it a restaurant in Germany.  They charged $4,500 on it but luckily Bank of America covered it.  

I agree with this.  I had my skimmed here and somebody used it a restaurant in Germany.  They charged $4,500 on it but luckily Bank of America covered it.  

that must have been one amazing meal.

did it include the tip?

They do all have chips in them, which I would imagine makes it more difficult to copy. My hope is that since they have cameras everywhere in the UK, that they would catch the "wanker" that did it.

I found out that Discover has had problems with criminals cashing out Lands End eGiftcards for YEARS.  This is not new by any stretch.  They can be redeemed at K-Mart and Sears and are easily convertible to cash, although I'm not sure how.  It's kind of disturbing that (1) Discover continues to offer Lands End reward dollars, and (2) Lands End / Sears / K-Mart has apparently done nothing to thwart this kind of theft. 

Discover was cool about it and restored my stolen rewards dollars, but the principle of the whole thing is disturbing.