• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Stealing bases a timing issue for Trout

It isn't even about conspiracy.  Pitchers aren't treating him any different on the base paths than they did his first year.  They already knew he was fast and that hasn't changed.  Trout and Scioscia are just saying the "right" things for now, for whatever reason. 

1. Trout might be hurt and they don't want other teams to know. 

2. Trout might have lost a step and they aren't pressing the issue. 

3. Trout may not be getting as good of reads on pitchers.

4. In St. Louis, Pujols was irritated when runners were put in motion while he's batting.  Scioscia could be telling him to stay put.

5. Scioscia could just prefer to give Pujols a chance to swing the bat and not risk taking it out of his hands with Trout running.

6. The organization may have told Scioscia and Trout that they don't want him stealing as much to protect their investment. 

7. Scioscia's philosophy has shifted and he's no longer an NL style manager, he prefers to be station-to-station.

It could be any one of these.  I think it's likely a combination of 4, 5 and 7.  What I do know is that it's not because pitchers are treating Trout any different.  He was fast before and nothing has changed. 

There are circumstances that lead to fewer steals over a period of time... opponents, injuries, game situations. Heck, Trout is getting more extra base hits, which leads to fewer steals. He's walking less often than he did last year, too, which.  He isn't on first base as often as he was in the past.  A guy with such a high success rate really shouldn't go 24 games without stealing a base, though.    

There are circumstances that lead to fewer steals over a period of time... opponents, injuries, game situations. Heck, Trout is getting more extra base hits, which leads to fewer steals. He's walking less often than he did last year, too, which.  He isn't on first base as often as he was in the past.  A guy with such a high success rate really shouldn't go 24 games without stealing a base, though.    

Another big issue is he has runners in front of him a lot more often than in the past. Pujols has come up in a LOT of runners at 1-2 or bases loaded situations.

I love the idea, but lets be realistic here. It would have to go something like this for the reasons I don't want to get into.

Trout

Hamilton

Albert

Calhoun

Howie

Navarro

Freese

Ianetta

Aybar

It would be a mistake to move the player who is one hit short of the lead for the RBI crown to the leadoff spot. If anything Trout should be moved to third (but definitely not lower)

Edited by ScottLux

It was pretty telling when Trout didn't try to steal last night when he hit into FC with Pujols and Hamilton coming up.

A stolen base would have meant a sure run on Hamilton's single but Trout didn't even attempt to steal at all.

I am thinking he's suffering more from the sore hamstring than he has let on.