• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Stealing bases a timing issue for Trout

The hot air coming out of Skip in this article is bad, when players have no fear of being held accountable, why would they bother improving?

"“At times, teams are going to extraordinary levels to control the running game, which would give the batter’s box an advantage,” Scioscia said

That timing should benefit Albert Pujols, hitting behind Trout, but Scioscia said he hasn’t yet been helped by the attention paid to the bases.

“As he starts to swing the bat better, I think he will,” Scioscia said of Pujols."

Uh....I guess we're still waiting on that "better swing" after a season and a half of the batters box advantage, right Skip? Sheesh.

"More than 41 percent of the time Hamilton has hit the ball into the field, it’s gone for a hit, the highest mark in the majors among hitters with at least 200 plate appearances. His career average is 33 percent, suggesting he’s due for a decrease. Hamilton also has just five homers, a power outage that Scioscia downplayed..."

Shocking.

We've seen these articles more than once which try to explain why Trout isn't stealing more bases and honestly, it's a bunch of BS. I don't buy it at all. When Trout first came into the league, everyone and their mother knew he was faster than fast, so pitchers treated him the same as they're treating him now when he's on first.

He's not running even when he can be running. This is either Trout not wanting to risk it, or someone telling him not to. I tend to think it's the latter,

Why are we jumping on MS? Isn't the Angels leading all of baseball in runs scored and OBP?

Trout has the green light whenever ... I don't doubt that for a minute.

There have been several cases where hit and runs have actually succeeded this year with Albert (or others) getting base hits instead of swinging and missing after Trout had already taken off for second. That has allowed him to stretch extra bases but doesn't count toward his SB numbers. Another issue is that Trout has had runners on base in front of him far more this year than in the past. That's why he's 1 run behind Cabrera for most RBIs in MLB.

The hot air coming out of Skip in this article is bad, when players have no fear of being held accountable, why would they bother improving?

"“At times, teams are going to extraordinary levels to control the running game, which would give the batter’s box an advantage,” Scioscia said

That timing should benefit Albert Pujols, hitting behind Trout, but Scioscia said he hasn’t yet been helped by the attention paid to the bases.

“As he starts to swing the bat better, I think he will,” Scioscia said of Pujols."

Uh....I guess we're still waiting on that "better swing" after a season and a half of the batters box advantage, right Skip? Sheesh.

"More than 41 percent of the time Hamilton has hit the ball into the field, it’s gone for a hit, the highest mark in the majors among hitters with at least 200 plate appearances. His career average is 33 percent, suggesting he’s due for a decrease. Hamilton also has just five homers, a power outage that Scioscia downplayed..."

Shocking.

You're right Scioscia should have criticized the living hell out of Josh for his power outage. That would make him such a better manager, and it would give him grit that we sorely lack being 20 games over .500.

See my post in one of the Hamilton threads.

What would it hurt to change 1 through 4 in the lineup to: Calhoun, Trout, Hamilton, and Pujols?

Hamilton could see more fastballs with Trout on 1B, and protection behind him with Pujols.

Catcher has to throw around the lefty hitting Hamilton, thus also helping Trout steal bases.

Power and run production are the order of the day in the cleanup spot as well. That ain't coming from Hamilton, but OBP is.

A one what motive is there for lying to the public? And why would Trout participate in the conspiracy to mislead the public?

We've seen these articles more than once which try to explain why Trout isn't stealing more bases and honestly, it's a bunch of BS. I don't buy it at all. When Trout first came into the league, everyone and their mother knew he was faster than fast, so pitchers treated him the same as they're treating him now when he's on first.

He's not running even when he can be running. This is either Trout not wanting to risk it, or someone telling him not to. I tend to think it's the latter,

The league knows Hamilton can only hit fastballs. It doesn't matter where he is in the order, he won't see more of them.

True and pitch type doesn't really change the success of stealing bases, it's mostly delivery times and the throwing ability of the catcher. And the baserunner's instincts of course

The league knows Hamilton can only hit fastballs. It doesn't matter where he is in the order, he won't see more of them.

Yep. No player sees fewer fastballs than Josh does, and for good reason. With the swings he puts up vs offspeed stuff, why throw anything else. Guy gets himself out more often than not

Edited by bloodbrother

But it has to be more difficult to throw a low and away pitch for a catcher than it is one in his chest you would think, right? The lousy pitches that he swings at require the catcher to catch it then reach completely across his body and make an accurate throw.

That's assuming all off speed pitches are low and away. Also, a pitcher is going to avoid putting it in the dirt if there's a fast runner on base.

Think about the amount of time it takes to reach across the body (which the catcher is already starting to do before he even receives the pitch), compared to the amount of time a delivery takes. It's a pretty big difference, relatively.

And when a righty throws the down and in curve/slider that Hamilton also has trouble with, the catcher then also has to throw around Hamilton vs. having a free path when a righty like Pujols is hitting. 

And there are about twice as many righties vs lefties pitching vs the Halos. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Never thought about putting Hamilton behind Trout for the very reason he gets balls pitched at him that are in the dirt and that would give Trout an advantage on the basepaths. And if they are forced to throw fastballs strictly because of Trout running, well that Helps Hamilton too.

No brainer IMO.

Calhoun

Trout

Ham-bone

Pujols