• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who should close?

Who should be the closer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the closer be?

• Morin
    • Smith
    • Jepsen
    • Frieri
    • Acquisition from other team
    • Alvarez

Santiago.  His stuff is legit. He misses bats. He has the velocity Mike wants. He is effectively wild for a limited amount of time. It could be a massive shot in the arm. You cannot tell me that while Shoemaker is pitching over his head (almost ace like right now) he is every bit an effective starter moving forward. Santiago's personality would be perfect for the closer role as well.  Thoughts? I just have a sense he could be one of best closers in baseball. I remember them saying that if Santiago did not work out for us as a starter, at the very least he would be a lights out reliever. We have a bridge to the 9th currently. 

Edited by DropOfAnaheim

Walden threw 100. Control issues. I get it. I still think Santiago is craftier then Fuentes or Walden, with many out pitches.

Where is his "craftiness" recorded? What stat is that? CRAF? Since when does a pitcher need many out pitches to be a successful closer? Mo Rivera and Trevor Hoffman would like a word...

Hoffman changed speeds very very well. Quisenberry kept everything down. I agree that there is not one Santiago pitch that hitters cannot touch. I keep hearing about the screwball he throws. Morin's change up is a thing of beauty ala Hoffman maybe?

Edited by DropOfAnaheim

He is an improvement. He gave up an HR to the third guy he faced.

Smith -- realistically,is there any other option?

Went to Texas-Angels games on Friday 6/19 and 6/20.

Halos won both games.

And, in both games, the first Halos pen guy to come into the game promptly gave up a HR to the first hitter the pen guy faced.....

Joe Smith is really the only option at closer.

Last time I checked Roth wasn't able to get anyone out up here. Bad comparison.

In the month of July last year he had 6 appearances out of the pen and gave up 2 runs for an ERA of 3.00 and a WHIP of 1.00 and a BAA of around .150. He also had a 4 pitch save during Spring Training this year. So yes, he can get people out at the major league level.

The official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:
(a) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
(B) He is not the winning pitcher;
© He is credited with at least a third of an inning pitched; and
(d) He satisfies one of the following conditions:
(1) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning;
(2) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batters he faces); or
(3) He pitches for at least three innings.

No save, he didn't enter the game with a 3 run lead.