• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you take on Cole Hamels' contract?

He's still putting up fantastic numbers in a hitters park. Contract is a little scary, but he'd immediately make our pitching staff one of the best in baseball (Hamels, Weaver, CJ, Richards). If the Phillies try to rebuild and want to dump his contract, would you be willing to take it on?

Let's see.... He will be 31 next year.  Career high WHIP so far this year..   Career ERA over 4.50 and an OPS allowed over .800 in 28 inter-league starts.   The park in Philly isn't as offensively minded as people believe -- it's a HR park but it deflates Hits, 2Bs, 3Bs, and Runs.   It's playing like a significant pitcher's park this year, was a slight hitter's park last year, and was neutral the year before.   Hamels is a pretty good bet to tank in the AL, someone I'd steer clear of.

Edited by Inside Pitch

It would cost us Richards & Skaggs. So no.

They're not dumping his contract for nothing. And since the Angels don't have prospects that they want to trade, there is no way this happens.

Let's see.... He will be 31 next year.  Career high WHIP so far this year..   Career ERA over 4.50 and an OPS allowed over .800 in 28 inter-league starts.   The park in Philly isn't as offensively minded as people believe -- it's a HR park but it deflates Hits, 2Bs, 3Bs, and Runs.   It's playing like a significant pitcher's park this year, was a slight hitter's park last year, and was neutral the year before.   Hamels is a pretty good bet to tank in the AL, someone I'd steer clear of.

I agree, but some of the deflation in hits, doubles, triples and runs that you mention has to do with the Phillies anemic offense. Its' been trending down for years now, since they went to back to back world series. 

Utley is the only offensive player they have that would displace a player on the Angels.  Cody Asche may be a wash with Freese and maybe Ruiz gets the nod over Iannetta though not likely because of age. Howard has declined worse than Pujols, Rollins is too old.

That plus playing the AL East for 40 games in that park, drags down the numbers.

If the Angels played all of their home games in that park, the numbers would be up against the Phillies numbers, and up against Angels home games in Anaheim.

It would cost us Richards & Skaggs. So no.

They're not dumping his contract for nothing. And since the Angels don't have prospects that they want to trade, there is no way this happens.

no it wouldn't.  If this were two years ago, maybe.  But those two are actively establishing themselves as quality major leaguers.  You would be decimating your rotation.  

I do agree that the Halos probably don't have what they would need and if they did, it would crush whatever momentum we were gaining with rebuilding the farm.  

They really have no reason to keep him at this point so they may agree to a bit of a lesser deal if a team takes on the whole nut of that contract.  

I feel for Ryne Sandgerg, probably my all time favorite player.

He has a massive rebuild project looking at him in Philly. I don't follow them enough to know what they have in the minors, but they need to start moving whoever they have up this season. It might get ugly in famously impatient Philly.

Ryno did really well managing in the minors though, so working with youngsters should be a strong point for him. 

I agree, but some of the deflation in hits, doubles, triples and runs that you mention has to do with the Phillies anemic offense. Its' been trending down for years now, since they went to back to back world series. 

Utley is the only offensive player they have that would displace a player on the Angels.  Cody Asche may be a wash with Freese and maybe Ruiz gets the nod over Iannetta though not likely because of age. Howard has declined worse than Pujols, Rollins is too old.

That plus playing the AL East for 40 games in that park, drags down the numbers.

If the Angels played all of their home games in that park, the numbers would be up against the Phillies numbers, and up against Angels home games in Anaheim.

No.   That's not how park effects are measured.  The Phillies' players performance in that park has no greater bearing than any other hitter.   Every at bat by every player is compared to every other player in every other park.  

The Phillies led the NL in runs scored in 2009 -- the park played essentially neutral at 101.  In 2010 they were second in the NL in runs scored, it was again essentially neutral at 99.   Last year the offense scored the 3rd lowest runs in the NL, the park had an index of 105.   

Edited by Inside Pitch

Hamel's home park really hasn't effected his performance one way or another because of it's neutrality. I'd say he gives up more HR's than usual there but if he came to Angel Stadium that number would likely decrease. AL hitters would also be unfamiliar to him which would likely lead to short term success. As far as long term goes, I think that if he stays healthy he'll be successful, but that's a lot of money to bank on one pitcher.

I'm also no sure he fits this team's needs. Every team needs starting pitching, but as far as the Angels are concerned, they need less 30-something pitchers with reliability and more 20-something pitchers with upside, like Richards, Skaggs and Santiago. That's why I'm really growing to like Newcomb, their latest 1st round pick. Young lefty with upside, should be in AA next year.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH