• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lov'n me some unions

A new trend is some school districts allowing certain teachers to work only 4 days per week.

The day off is supposed to give them time to grade papers, write lesson plans, prepare activities, etc.  We had a woman on the city council who taught in a K-3 classroom under this arrangement.  She had every Thursday off.

Once becoming mayor, she held these regular coffee with the mayor events to discuss items of interest -- the only problem was she held them on Thursday mornings when she was supposed to be doing work for the benefit of her students.  The school district refused to do anything about it, largely because the school board is packed full of former teachers all too happy to protect their long time friend and union sister.

I wonder how many of those teachers are out on a medical leave out of their control?  

Not sure, but I can't imagine that more than 1 out of 25 or 30 workers in the country would be impacted that severely by health stuff

Question for Tank, you teach private school, no? 

How are private school kids better/worse behaved at that age?

well we don't have the tons of parental indifference you find in a public school. we also don't have near the quantity of drug and alcohol problems.

outside of that, i can't really tell you too many other differences as i've been in a private school all 30 years of my career.

I can think of a million jobs I'd rather have than Jr. High teacher. Begging for change in coronado sounds much more appealing.  

it's so much more rewarding than i can begin you to tell you. i love my kids and have so much fun with so many of them. 

you don't know fun until you can drop in lyrics from songs by one direction into a test and see kids trying to hold back their laughter. 

well we don't have the tons of parental indifference you find in a public school. we also don't have near the quantity of drug and alcohol problems.

outside of that, i can't really tell you too many other differences as i've been in a private school all 30 years of my career.

Public school, 8th grade.  The one thing I've noticed most in the years I've taught is that lack of parenting is having a profound effect upon their children's education.  I can't tell how many kids don't do the work.  I'll call them up and ask them and they'll say they didn't get it.  I take three minutes.  No longer.  I explain the assignment, have the student complete an example and then have the student turn in the assignment the next day.  I'll often get the assignment the next day and I wonder what the kid could do if their parent would just...****in...be...a...PARENT!!!

Drives me nuts.  If I lose tenure, I'm going to be evaluated on these students whose ****-tard parents don't give a shit????  I can't go home with each student to be their parent. 

(Sorry about the cursing.)

Public school, 8th grade.  The one thing I've noticed most in the years I've taught is that lack of parenting is having a profound effect upon their children's education.  I can't tell how many kids don't do the work.  I'll call them up and ask them and they'll say they didn't get it.  I take three minutes.  No longer.  I explain the assignment, have the student complete an example and then have the student turn in the assignment the next day.  I'll often get the assignment the next day and I wonder what the kid could do if their parent would just...****in...be...a...PARENT!!!

Drives me nuts.  If I lose tenure, I'm going to be evaluated on these students whose ****-tard parents don't give a shit????  I can't go home with each student to be their parent. 

What exactly are the parents not doing to help their kids?  Do you mean not helping their kids complete the assignments, or just not caring, or what?

I think there are better ways to gauge teachers than just by test scores.  For one thing, I think teachers should be deeply involved in the evaluation process.  It is stupid to have some arbitrary level to hit when there are so many outliers between schools.

What exactly are the parents not doing to help their kids?  Do you mean not helping their kids complete the assignments, or just not caring, or what?

indifferent towards how their kid is doing. they don't set up any parameters for their kid to work under, like a consistent study time each night or getting help when their kid has difficulty. i'm dealing with a parent now whose son has failed a couple of classes and needs summer school or extra work at a learning center. she won't take him, and i just found out it's been this way for the last 3 or 4 years. her kid needs help but isn't getting it. i've had to deal also with parents who have kids with severe cases of ADHD but can't get any help or evaluation because the parents aren't interested in hearing that their child has a learning disability, even though it's treatable.