• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Announcer Rankings

hawk might be tolerable, if he wasn't the biggest 'homer' in broadcasting (actually, second biggest after the Ducks hayward).

Victor is very good, and easy to listen to.  Gubi has the knowledge, but is a rookie with his timing.  I miss Phys and the Hud-Dog!

Vin Scully will always be #1 for me.  I love listening to his storytelling; the best voice in the game.  I'd love to hear him butcher my name!

People actually enjoy listening to Hawk Harrelson? I mean, is it an irony thing? I guess I get that. But if you actually think he's a good announcer then I really don't know what to say to that. The announcer representing your team during a broadcast should not literally cheer for the team and then throw a fit when something doesn't go their way.

It was funny for like 5 minutes, then it got really old. Now it's just pathetic and sad.

I agree.  I was hoping he'd come back to the Angels before he returned to the Padres.

I seem to remember a Engberg briefly being in talks to return to the Angels before taking the gig with the Padres.  But I distinctly remember him saying the Angels' offer was small and not even worth serious consideration.

A shame.  Would've been great to have him back in the booth and not just for nostalgia.  Enberg and Drysdale were the best combo I've ever heard on the radio.  TV side, though I have a small sample size, I loved that small window where Joe Torre worked with Bart Starr.  That was the perfect balance and the real deal right there. 

Downing Rules -- "Joe Torre worked with Bart Starr" -- didn't realize Torre announced Green Bay Packers football games.........I do remember him teaming up with Bob Starr, who I always liked.

As for Enberg -- not sure Angels could have gotten him back with any offer -- he lives in La Jolla and I think his deal with the Padres is sort of a Scully type gig -- he does home games on TV.....not sure if he travels much -- maybe to LA and SF, perhaps, AZ..........the trip from his La Jolla home to downtown Petco probably takes 15 minutes depending on traffic conditions.

Going to check that list.........Hawk Harrelson is terrible.........hands down top candidate for all time worst.........

As for one of the best, I'd pick St. Louis' John Rooney, who ironically, was the radio side guy for many years with the ChiSox while Hawk was doing the ChiSox TV games (with Ed Farmer, if I remember right)......that was a good mix Rooney on radio and Hawk on TV because folks watching WGN could turn down the sound and listen to Rooney.

FSW Angels blocked here in Northern San Diego county, so I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings to get the Angels and also watch the Dbacks (my mom's fav team).  We get a pretty good spread of broadcast teams.  Brenly (Dbacks) is an excellent color guy.  Enberg remains the best play by play guy ever IMO.  The SF guys are good, very fair and unbiased.  I do NOT miss Gubi at all.  His monotone, captain obvious delivery rivals a sleeping pill.  An occasional pitching comment represents most of his value added.  Does he still read all the popups verbatim? 

Ratings are pretty good -- but they are all for the TV guys -- the real announcing takes place on the radio side.........I like our guy, Terry Smith.

As for the O's -- didn't realize they had Gary Thorne doing the pbp -- he's very good and has Mr. Underwear, Jim Palmer as his analyst........

Thorne really belongs in a city with a baseball AND hockey team (Washington Caps don't count for Baltimore).....

If the great Vin Scully and the great Bob Miller ever decide to hang 'em up (perhaps about the same time), perhaps the LA teams could work out a deal to bring Gary Thorne out West......Thorne is one of the best in the biz in NHL pbp.

SF Giants deserve to be number one -- solid broadcasting team from pbp guys to analysts.....I remember when Duane Kuiper first started announcing games for the Giants (back with Hank Greenwald) --Kuiper would come to the booth and serve as color analyst when he was on the DL with the SF Giants......after his playing career was over, I think he might have spent a season or two with the Cleveland Indians announcing team (one of his former teams) before coming back to SF......he's a fixture there now and does well......the guy I really like in SF is Dave Flemming who broke in at about age 25 with the Giants (he might be about 30 now) and is just tremendous.........of course Jon Miller is the long time ESPN Sunday night guy (with Joe Morgan) who ESPN sort of dumped about two years ago -- not sure why........Miller spent years in the Baltimore Orioles' booth before heading West after some sort of contract dispute with Baltimore......I think Miller grew up in the SF Bay area (San Mateo?) so he's home..........SF Giants radio and TV teams very strong.........

I like our guys.  Victor Rojas is very good and I like Gubi, too......those who squawk about Gubi -- do you want Rex back? Stop squawking then, I think the Angels made the right move with the change a few years back........Terry Smith is solid on the radio side.