• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America

barshels

I'm still not a believer in Cron.

His .749 OPS in AA at age 23 is definately nothing to write home about. 

Lindsey outperformed him at the plate, while being TWO years younger.

If Cron was the best college hitter in the 2011 draft, that must have been one real bad draft for college hitters. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Anyone see the  BA top prospects for the Angels with a review of our system? "thinnest in baseball" I knew the Halo farm was pretty weak. But the worst?

They ARE thin..  But thin and bereft of talent are two totally different things.

The problem with the ranking system that BBA employs is that it rates guys on top end potential -- which is fine but it tends to gloss over guys who don't grade out highly.   Our farm system is at a massive disadvantage if the sole purpose of a farm system is to supply the team with assets they could turn into players and the sort, but it's not like they don't have guys who could be useful at the MLB level.

One of the things I've been paying attention to at Fangraphs is the prospect projections for 2014...  The Angels don't fare poorly in that area, they have guys who if needed could likely be useful players.

The lack of pitching depth is a REAL issue, but they are a signing or two away from getting a safety net or two...

Edited by Inside Pitch

They ARE thin..  But thin and bereft of talent are two totally different things.

The problem with the ranking system that BBA employs is that it rates guys on top end potential -- which is fine but it tends to gloss over guys who don't rate highly.   Our farm system is at a massive disadvantage if the sole purpose of a farm system is to supply the team with assets they could turn into players and the sort, but it's not like they don't have guys who could be useful at the MLB level.

One of the things I've been paying attention to at Fangraphs is the prospect projections for 2014...  The Angels don't fare poorly in that area, they have guys who if needed could likely be useful players.

The lack of pitching depth is a REAL issue, but they are a signing or two away from getting a safety net or two...

I think you're right to differentiate between a system that doesn't have future major leaguers and our system, which weak as it may be still has major leaguers.  Even a pessimist would say there are four future major leaguers in that Top 10, an optimist might say all 10 end up in the big leagues.  

I think you're right to differentiate between a system that doesn't have future major leaguers and our system, which weak as it may be still has major leaguers.  Even a pessimist would say there are four future major leaguers in that Top 10, an optimist might say all 10 end up in the big leagues.  

The thing about the Angels system right now is that it has some guys that could turn out to be Ecksteins....  The Ecksteins of the world don't make top prospect lists, but occasionally surprise people and end up having a better career than say a Brandon Wood who did turn heads and make people go ohhh and ahhh.

yeah.  they seem to be ranked low because they lack high end talent.  Guys that don't grade out high and very few high picks in the last few years.  The lack of pitching talent puts them in the bottom 1/4 instantly coupled with the above and they won't be looked upon with much admiration.  But I agree there are more than a handful of future major leaguers.  Maybe a couple end up above average even. 

Hopefully Cowart can get it together this year. He is still young.

I wonder if he will get sent back to IE at some point so he can get some confidence back, or if the Angels feel that would be detrimental to his development.

This gets me.  How can the Angels ever expect the minors to support the major league club when a first round pick like Kaleb Cowart, who has spent three full years in the minors, is expected to start out his fourth year in high A again?  Taylor Lindsay and Cowart were the only prospects who were not total failures from that 2010 draft.  When the 2010 draft took place, the Angels were in need of a 3rd baseman.  Now four years later, the Angels still need a third baseman and it appears he is a good two to three years away.  Geez...

(Note:  I forgot to include 8th round pick Kole Calhoun.  My bad...)

Edited by avejoe1

I'll give Cowart a pass.  He was young for his level last year and buzzed thru A/A+ in one season. 

If they didn't think he was mature enough to handle struggling in AA, I  think they would have sent him back last year.  If he struggles again in AA then he's not really a good enough prospect and they probably think about switching him back to the mound.  So they've basically ruled out that he's potentially an elite guy, but he still has a chance to be a good major league player. 

I expect David Freese to hit .280/.360 with 30 DB, 15 HR's and average defense next year.  At this point, the Angels would thank their lucky stars if Cowart ever made it to the majors and gave them that sort of production.  Switching him back to the mound wouldn't be a completely horrible thing, especially if he's a starter.  Granted he'd head back down to A Ball or A+, but given the system's lack of elite starters, it could be best for the organization in the long run.  

But I don't think there's a precedent.  Has a failed high profile position player in AA ever transitioned into a starting pitcher?  I know there have been a few cases of OF's and catchers becoming relievers.  I guess the closest thing I can think of is Casey Kelly. 

But I don't think there's a precedent.  Has a failed high profile position player in AA ever transitioned into a starting pitcher?  I know there have been a few cases of OF's and catchers becoming relievers.  I guess the closest thing I can think of is Casey Kelly. 

High profile position player and SP -- I can't think of one off the top of my head.  But obviously Percy was a failed catcher.  Jason Motte and Kenley Jansen are recent examples of position players turned pitchers -- Jensen FWIW was a hitter for four years before switching to the mound.  

I think the highest profile position player to make the transition to P is possibly Sergio Santos.who was taken in the 1st round out of Mater Dei as a SS. He broke into the BBA top 100 lists at least once as a hitter too.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I'm still not a believer in Cron.

His .749 OPS in AA at age 23 is definately nothing to write home about. 

Lindsey outperformed him at the plate, while being TWO years younger.

If Cron was the best college hitter in the 2011 draft, that must have been one real bad draft for college hitters. 

AO, i hear what your saying. The only reason i am still optimistic is that Cron was coming off shoulder surgery. I think he is regaining his strength, as his Instructional league stats seem to show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BA Top 30 for 2014:

1    Taylor Lindsey
2    C.J. Cron
3    Kaleb Cowart
4    R.J. Alvarez
5    Mark Sappington
6    Hunter Green
7    Ricardo Sanchez
8    Alex Yarbrough
9    Zach Borenstein
10    Cam Bedrosian
11    Ryan Brasier
12    Jose Rondon
13    Eric Stamets
14    Michael Morin
15    Victor Alcantara
16    Nataneal Delgado
17    Mike Clevinger
18    Michael Fish
19    Cal Towey
20    AJ Schugel (to Arizona)
21    Buddy Boshers
22    Nick Maronde
23    Joe Krehbiel
24    Eduar Lopez
25    Jett Bandy
26    Keynan Middleton
27    Erick Salcedo
28    Andrew Ray
29    Kyle McGowin
30    Reid Scoggins

“21”    Jose Alvarez (with Detroit)
“30”    Michael Brady (with Miami)

BA only really looks at guys who'll be in the majors in less than a year when comparing farm systems. If you were to compare systems from the bottom up, the Angels would be ranked a lot higher. 

They rank/highlight potential upside over likely floors.  That's the main reason the Angels farm system is being crapped on right now -- they lack those high end, high risk, potentially high reward talents that turn heads.   That and the complete lack of pitching depth in the system.

Edited by Inside Pitch