• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question re Tanaka's services

Torridd

Yeah, I would think of more hyping your club and area as opposed to tearing another down.  Because it can be a two way street.  Whatever you tell bad about another club, and when they talk, and you mention what you heard, and they flat out disprove it.  Could disuade them as thinking you weren't truthful.  

I doubt they do anything with any intent toward degrading another team or city.

These guys are professionals and probably approach negotiating in a good way. I'm sure they try to sell their team and city as much as possible. I doubt that they try to make an example of another team or city though.

Brian Cashman: "We'll pay you a very respectable and fair salary Mr. Tanaka! We have the best fans in the world and our World Series wins are legendary in the annals of baseball history! I mean really why would you even think about playing in Chavez Latrine.....errrr..... Ravine, sorry slip of the tongue."

Ned Coletti: "We'll pay you a very respectable and fair salary Mr. Tanaka! We have the best fans in the world, have won mulitple World Series, and many of the games greatest legends have played in Dodger blue! I mean why would you want to go to the East coast and deal with horrible winters, playing for the Skankees..... errr..... Yankess, sorry slip of the tongue."

Jerry Dipoto: "Who would you rather play with? Mike Trout, Hanley Ramirez, or Alex Rodriguez? Thought so, sign here please...."

Brian Cashman: "We'll pay you a very respectable and fair salary Mr. Tanaka! We have the best fans in the world and our World Series wins are legendary in the annals of baseball history! I mean really why would you even think about playing in Chavez Latrine.....errrr..... Ravine, sorry slip of the tongue."

Ned Coletti: "We'll pay you a very respectable and fair salary Mr. Tanaka! We have the best fans in the world, have won mulitple World Series, and many of the games greatest legends have played in Dodger blue! I mean why would you want to go to the East coast and deal with horrible winters, playing for the Skankees..... errr..... Yankess, sorry slip of the tongue."

Jerry Dipoto: "Who would you rather play with? Mike Trout, Hanley Ramirez, or Alex Rodriguez? Thought so, sign here please...."

Tanaka - 'So then I should sign with Philly?'

For a player like this, it's more about what the tone and future of the organization is. Go back and listen to both the Pujols and Hamilton pressers. Both talked about the feel they got from the organization. Both talked about how they liked the direction and the future of the franchise. A GM and owner trying to set the right feel isn't going to bother tearing down another organization (any boss who does that is just showing that in the end, s/he will tear you down in the end if the results aren't met). I would bet that they go into the meeting doing more listening to what the player's goals and desires are and then show how those can best be met by the Angels . . . along with a big check!

It is all about money and years. Whoever offers Tanaka the most will get him.

Believe it or not, it really doesn't come down to that with every players or even most of the players. I know of several on the Angels and several on other organizations who left money on the table. Most of the offers, especially for the elites are fairly comparable and it more often than not comes down to the fit between the player and the organization.

Good question. I think there is a rule against demeaning another team as a negotiating tactic though I'm not sure. It's probably a blurry line though regardless.

I think it would open Pandora's Box. Even if your "private" negotiations are ever made public, let's say, by a disgruntled employee, or an agent who is trying to stroke his own (or his client's) ego, every other GM will be free to denigrate you and your team (at least).

I believe GMs have a moral and ethical obligation to sell free agents on the benefit of coming to their team by not insulting others.

If a GM wants to use readily available statistics, such as tax rates, cost of living, demographics, etc, in comparison to other teams, I think that's fair.

But to say "don't sign with this team because their GM is a lying douche" or "they have no respect for (ethnicity) players" or something along those lines is out of bounds.