• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumbo? Is he looking more like end of last season Trumbo?

Michifan

Living in Michigan, I haven't seen any of the spring training games, so I can just look at stats. Last spring, Trumbo batted .328 with 6 HR and 16 RBIs in 58 plate appearances and turned that into a great start to the season. He batted .304 in April with 3 HRs and a fantastic .367 with 7 HRs in May. So far this spring in 36 ABs he's batting .250 with 0 HRs 1 RBI, and only 1 extra base hit. How has he looked at the plate?

Morales on the other hand for Seattle in 35 ABs is batting .367 with 3 HRs including one yesterday from the right side, with 6 RBIs. 

Here's hoping Trumbo finds a groove. I do hope that Morales does well, except of course against the Angels. 

Living in Michigan, I haven't seen any of the spring training games, so I can just look at stats. Last spring, Trumbo batted .328 with 6 HR and 16 RBIs in 58 plate appearances and turned that into a great start to the season. He batted .304 in April with 3 HRs and a fantastic .367 with 7 HRs in May. So far this spring in 36 ABs he's batting .250 with 0 HRs 1 RBI, and only 1 extra base hit. How has he looked at the plate?

Morales on the other hand for Seattle in 35 ABs is batting .367 with 3 HRs including one yesterday from the right side, with 6 RBIs. 

Here's hoping Trumbo finds a groove. I do hope that Morales does well, except of course against the Angels. 

From the limited at bats I have seen (It's only been maybe 3-4 games), he's looked good.  He hasn't shown it in the power department.  He is scorching the ball, mainly line drives, and going the opposite way.  

Something tells me he's working on something with the coaches.  Might be totally wrong here.  But he looks more like he's swinging for contact than swinging for the fences.  I don't know if this makes sense, but to me, it looks like he's using spring to prevent the prolong slump he had last year.  Especially since according to some posters, in batting practice he's still launching them deep over the fences.  

From the limited at bats I have seen (It's only been maybe 3-4 games), he's looked good.  He hasn't shown it in the power department.  He is scorching the ball, mainly line drives, and going the opposite way.  

Something tells me he's working on something with the coaches.  Might be totally wrong here.  But he looks more like he's swinging for contact than swinging for the fences.  I don't i know if this makes sense, but to me, it looks like he's using spring to prevent the prolong slump he had last year.  Especially since according to some posters, in batting practice he's still launching them deep over the fences.  

looks to me like he is working on hitting the ball to the right side- more of an inside out or right hand dominant swing at times. this will make him gain better contact, especially with off speed crap they throw up there. not to worry, the power is still there. there is a reason mlb's elite hitters at the all star game last year stopped to watch his batting practice. jmo this guy is a rare power hitting talent and one of the few players i would pay to watch.

this is a make or break year for trumbo.  If he doesn't make adjustments and just does the same thing as last year, he won't last much longer in MLB

I know he was "hurt" and all that the second half of last year, but he was coming back to earth before that happened.  Pitchers have adjusted to him, now it's his turn

Something tells me he's working on something with the coaches.  Might be totally wrong here.  But he looks more like he's swinging for contact than swinging for the fences.  I don't know if this makes sense, but to me, it looks like he's using spring to prevent the prolong slump he had last year.  Especially since according to some posters, in batting practice he's still launching them deep over the fences.  

It does make sense. Thanks for the insight. I hope he is working on making contact. 

This is something a lot of people forget when analyzing spring training stats. Sometimes players are trying something new or working on one specific thing to see if it will be helpful during the season. In Trumbo's case, the coaches may well be working with him on not trying to pull everything, which can put you in a tremendous hole when you aren't making great contact. If that is the case, it stands to reason that his power numbers would be down. However, if true this is just one aspect of his game, not a hitting strategy for the entire season.

this is a make or break year for trumbo.  If he doesn't make adjustments and just does the same thing as last year, he won't last much longer in MLB

I know he was "hurt" and all that the second half of last year, but he was coming back to earth before that happened.  Pitchers have adjusted to him, now it's his turn

look at what he did last year and tell me he won't last much longer in mlb. that's silly.

Trumbo hits the ball hard. As long as he does this, balls will get through the infield for hits. He also showed he can hit the ball to all fields, lining the ball through the right side. If he does that & cuts down his strikeouts, swinging at good pitches, he'll be tremendous. We saw flashes of it last year. He could hit .300 easy. Or he could keep swinging at bad pitches and hit .260 again. We'll see.

Trumbo is what he is, he's gonna hit between .250-.270 and give you 30+ HRs. He will go through slumps and go through hot streaks. Not too worried about him as long as I keep my expectations reasonable.

yup...pretty much what Glaus did back in the day