• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade packages for Trout that would actually tempt you

Angelsjunky

Possible packages: 

Focused on acquiring talent: 

Cardinals acquire Mike Trout. 

Angels acquire Shelby Miller, Michael Wacha, Oscar Taveras, Joe Kelly and Matt Adams. 

Focused on shedding payroll: 

Dodgers acquire Mike Trout, Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton. 

Angels acquire Clayton Kershaw, Zach Lee, Corey Seager and Paco Rodriguez. 

Edited by TroutFarmer

I don't know if the marlins, nationals, and twins do those deals

One team that wasn't mentioned was the Mariners. Knowing how eager Jack Z is for offense (see Justin Upton trade for reference), I wouldn't be surprised if he put together a package that looked like this: 

Mariners acquire Mike Trout. 

Angels acquire Hisashi Iwakuma, Taijuan Walker, James Paxton, Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor, Nick Franklin, Danny Farquhar and Kyle Seager. 

Edited by TroutFarmer

Just out of curiosity.

On a scale 1-10. 1 being it'd favor the A's most and 10 being it'd favor the Angels most....Josh Donaldson, Sonny Gray and Addison Russell for Trout?

I like Gray, and Russell will be a stud, but Trout is otherworldly.

Plus, I would NEVER want to see him traded within the division.

One team that wasn't mentioned was the Mariners. Knowing how eager Jack Z is for offense (see Justin Upton trade for reference), I wouldn't be surprised if he put together a package that looked like this:

Mariners acquire Mike Trout.

Angels acquire Hisashi Iwakuma, Taijuan Walker, James Paxton, Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor, Nick Franklin, Danny Farquhar and Kyle Seager.

"You said Franklin twice."

Trout is as complete of a player as there is. The only two things left to truly work on are improving his arm some and the close and late numbers (although his showing ability to study pitchers well).

Just sign him during 2014 season to an 8 year/$180-200 million deal and be done with it.

He can still then test FA at age 31.

8 year deal works for both sides.

He would then have played much more of his prime time here than anywhere else, which if he keeps this up = first Halos homegrown HOF and wearing a Halos cap that day.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The Bryant/Divac trade got me thinking about what the worst trade ever across all 4 major sports would be.

Ruth being sold to the WS less at the time Yankees is likely tops, followed by Brock/Broglio, Smoltz/Alexander, and Bagwell/Andersen.

The Walker deal has to be right there in the NFL, as it played a very solid part in the Cowboys 1990s dynasty.

Bryant/Divac is likely it for the NBA.

Hockey is tough to say. The Gretzky trade might be right there, as the players going from the Kings to Edmonton were ultimately meh to maybe okay, while the Kings got a 27 year-old in his prime in Gretzky.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I wonder if this was LakersWin with all of us being passionate about the Lakers how many people would be bitching about the Kwame Brown, Mark Gasol, Critterton for Pau Gasol trade right now. LO (Lakers Oracle, not Lamar Odom) would be bitching about how Buss hates Foreign players. Or how Phil hated young players that's why they made the trade. Stop Trading Young Cost Controlled Big Men! JUST STOP IT! Of course some expert on here would tell us that we never needed to add Mark Gasol to make the deal, that Memphis just wanted to dump his salary. Of course there would be Mitch Reagins was stupid enough to give Pau Abreu that stupid extension.

I wonder if this was LakersWin with all of us being passionate about the Lakers how many people would be bitching about the Kwame Brown, Mark Gasol, Critterton for Pau Gasol trade right now. LO (Lakers Oracle, not Lamar Odom) would be bitching about how Buss hates Foreign players. Or how Phil hated young players that's why they made the trade. Stop Trading Young Cost Controlled Big Men! JUST STOP IT! Of course some expert on here would tell us that we never needed to add Mark Gasol to make the deal, that Memphis just wanted to dump his salary. Of course there would be Mitch Reagins was stupid enough to give Pau Abreu that stupid extension.

I knew that was a great deal for the Lakers from the start, as Gasol was still only 27 turning 28. His brother had decent/solid potential, but Brown was a waste of roster space even then and Crittenden was a latter 1st round pick.

I figured that Gasol would have about 5 good seasons, which came close to true, and ultimately helped to win 2 NBA titles.

So the A's would of won 106 games with Trout?

It isn't so literal as that, although you can roughly estimate win differences by swapping players. But if you add Trout you have to take someone away, and the likely player would be Coco Crisp who is pretty good (3.9 fWAR). Trout would be a net gain of 6.5 fWAR, so theoretically replacing Crisp with Trout would've turned the 96-win Athletics into a 102-103-win team.

But that's just statistics. The actual psychological and on-the-field performance impact is a complete unknown.

It isn't so literal as that, although you can roughly estimate win differences by swapping players. But if you add Trout you have to take someone away, and the likely player would be Coco Crisp who is pretty good (3.9 fWAR). Trout would be a net gain of 6.5 fWAR, so theoretically replacing Crisp with Trout would've turned the 96-win Athletics into a 102-103-win team.

But that's just statistics. The actual psychological and on-the-field performance impact is a complete unknown.

Good answer

So the A's would of won 106 games with Trout?

Most teams trying to get Trout would probably give up a ton of long term value and one or two assets who are probably already very good big league performers. It really just depends on the trade package and who the team has as replacements to those players traded away. Not all teams are going to reap the same benefits if they were to trade for Trout because every trade package is different and some teams have more depth to be able to make trades like that. 

But like AngelsJunky said, statistics will only take you so far. Adding Pujols and CJ Wilson was supposed to make the Angels an elite team and they barely improved over their 2011 season. 

If I had to guess, I'd assume a team would be anywhere from 5-10 games better with Trout.