• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

FCC Proposes Ending TV Sports Blackout Rule

Capital_Dave

The only reason I have cable right now is for sports and some TV shows I like to watch. If they got rid of blackouts, I'd get rid of cable and just stick with my Apple TV and watch what I do now for a fraction of the price cable companies charge.

Do we know if this applies to internet streaming services? If not, MLB will still protect their RSNs with regional streaming blackouts. This is probably just for folks on the fringes or disputed areas so they can buy extra innings from their cable provider and see their "home" team.

I don't see this having much of an impact on MLB's blackout rules. According to item 20 beginning on page 13, the blackout rules being addressed are local markets being able to watch their teams. Very few MLB games are blacked out in local markets. Yes, consumers have to purchase a service like Directv that carries a regional sports network, but MLB doesn't blackout games except on Saturday when FOX has exclusive rights. I don't see the FCC getting involved in regulating regional sports networks and territorial rights. From what I read, MLB.tv blackouts (Angels games in the LA area, Rockies games in Colorado and Utah, etc...) will remain. 

No shit Chuck... I am so sick of missing 19 A's-Angels games every year because Reno is in the A's 'market', and their local TV broadcasts are not shown here either, like the Giants. I wouldn't mind it so much if they gave me a prorated subscription fee to MLB Extra Innings...but oh no, pony up your 2 bills asswipe!!

No shit Chuck... I am so sick of missing 19 A's-Angels games every year because Reno is in the A's 'market', and their local TV broadcasts are not shown here either, like the Giants. I wouldn't mind it so much if they gave me a prorated subscription fee to MLB Extra Innings...but oh no, pony up your 2 bills asswipe!!

Yeah man it's bullshit. I feel bad for my friends in Las Vegas, they have it worse than me.

It's really a complex issue. When teams and leagues negotiate rights for sale to tv networks they are selling off their ability to show games in other ways. If an RSN pays a billion dollars for the exclusive rights to show baseball games in a predefined territory they're going to be pissed when MLB starts showing those games in their territory through a secondary service.

With the current situation, cable companies have their backs against the wall. They are bleeding subscribers and the ones they do have are fast forwarding through commercials. Sports programing is the goose that still lays the golden eggs. This is why sports teams are getting so much money for the exclusive rights to air their games. The black rules are in place specifically because they prevent people like myself from cutting the cord and watching my Angels games through MLB.tv.

About ****ING time..

OMG this. The public is continually raped in this deals to subsidize sports stadiums yet the billionaires then f*ck over a sports fan with blackouts?

Ideally we stop using tax dollars to support sports team. If politicians continue to be stupid and dole out welfare for billionaires the least the FCC can do is end blackouts.