• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels are apparently looking for a backup catcher

jshep

Maybe Conger is just not as good as we all hoped he would be.

Yeah.  I've wanted Conger to be the catcher of the future for a while now but he isn't cutting it with his D.  It seems like his throws are getting worse.  

Conger might turn out to be nothing, but he's really only had one shot(where he was in a strict lefty/righty platoon with Mathis). He certainly didn't light it up, but he showed a little bit of value then.

Really the way he's been handled has annoyed me, they've given ABs to players we know are bad instead of giving him another shot, and now they've apparently decided he's unplayable behind the plate based on Spring Training after he entered camp as the favorite for the backup catcher spot.

Can't wait to give up something for another team's scrub that they don't want.

I doubt Conger is given up for nothing, Dipoto is smarter than that.  But much like Napoli, I think Conger will only get better away from Scioscia.  IF playing everyday, Conger could be a .280 15 HR type of switch hitting catcher, and if he's ever adequate defensively he could be incredibly valuable. 

Conger might turn out to be nothing, but he's really only had one shot(where he was in a strict lefty/righty platoon with Mathis). He certainly didn't light it up, but he showed a little bit of value then.

Really the way he's been handled has annoyed me, they've given ABs to players we know are bad instead of giving him another shot, and now they've apparently decided he's unplayable behind the plate based on Spring Training after he entered camp as the favorite for the backup catcher spot.

Can't wait to give up something for another team's scrub that they don't want.

The only problem with your theory is they have been watching him for 7 years not just this spring training.

The only problem with your theory is they have been watching him for 7 years not just this spring training.

And until the past week or two, were perfectly fine with him being the backup catcher.

If they were so concerned about the backup catcher spot earlier this offseason, there were quite a few guys that were landed for cheap or even non-guaranteed deals. Instead the team signed Luke freaking Carlin.

Now they're left with the scrap heap.

I'm sorry, but this is Mike Scioscia flexing his micromanaging muscle yet again...

Honestly, if that's all he ****s up is catcher, I'm ok with that.    I was one of the lead complainers about Mathis, and he's gone.    As long as Mike doesn't screw up the other 23 guys on the roster, I don't care who he has crouching down behind the plate.   If he doesn't like Conger, move him for something.