• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So My old ass is going to college soon

NrM

I'm 25 and I recently started at a CC. I'm in the aviation program to get my flight dispatcher license, (not air traffic control). I feel kind of old considering that a lot of people graduate from a 4 year by 21 but whatever.

nah man, at 25 youre still a kid. Seriously. Got more than enough time, just make sure you go through with it.

Funny you mention this, just read an article today about how short staffed the air traffic controllers are. I know you said ywoure doing a dufferent route, but it said the base pay was like 120 a year...something to think about...got me thinking for sure...

The idea of college is silly in many cases. You can learn more and learn it faster online these days for almost free or a fraction of the cost, except you don't get the paper at the end. There are courses of study which do require a more formal education for the sake of the student, employer and public.

From everything I know about business, about 2% of it came from my degrees. 

College is however is a priceless social experience. 

Hey Pooz, how's college going?

Honestly? It's been a struggle for me. 

Can't really relate to these 18-19 year old kids in community college. I feel like an outcast.

The bitches be fine as hell though. 

Plus, I was diagnosed with adhd like a year ago. Adderall is one hell of a drug  :)

Can't believe it's been over 2 years since I started this thread.

Edited by Poozy

Can't really relate to these 18-19 year old kids in community college. I feel like an outcast.

Plus, I was diagnosed with adhd like a year ago. Adderall is one hell of a drug  :)

Are you planning to use the degree to get your foot in the door in a specific field?

Are you planning to use the degree to get your foot in the door in a specific field?

Hard to say. 

I don't think I'm in a bad position right now. I currently have my military experience(veterans preference) and a federal job, which will help towards finding a better federal position.

I don't necessarily need the degree, just don't want to waste a free education that many people would kill for.

Edited by Poozy

Yessir. Adderall is a godsend for us ADHDers. I did just fine without it in undergrad, but I'm on a whole different level in grad school now that use it.

Edited by failos

The hardest part about school for me is getting through all of the BS (generals). I have no use for linear algebra or astronomy. Generals are simply schools' way of forcing you to pay for 2-3 more semesters. 

Most of school is pointless and real learning happens in the real world. On the job training is the only legitimate type of training there is but society still believes school is necessary and somehow reflects the intelligence and/or work ethic of a person.

School teaches you to think a certain way, and that certainly does prepare one for the "real world."

I actually do find many general ed classes interesting(american gov, phys anthropology). I never paid attention to or retained most of the information that was taught throughout elementary school-high school. Gen. Ed. classes can also help you find an interest and possibly major in something you never would've thought about.

I do agree that you shouldn't be forced to spend thousands on gen ed classes if your major has nothing to do with it.

I guess I understand where both of you are coming from. I would be pretty close to my BA in crim. Justice if i didn't have to take gen ed classes.

Edited by Poozy

if it weren't for breadth courses I would have never been exposed to ancient history––the subject which I eventually majored in. Same goes with being able to study French.

I think some of the generals are interesting but not interesting enough to spend $6,000 extra to take. It is so you pay more, nothing else.

I think they do it to make someone a more rounded person. Otherwise you would have geologist that cant add 2+5 or some other crap. At some point everything can correlate.