• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy Hanson at Salt Lake

fan_since79

the halos have zero starting pitching in the minors.  He's worth keeping around while they have him under control.  Arb rules designate that if a player receives a raise of greater than 50% from the previous year then the 80% rule doesn't apply.  Since he went from 575k to 3.725mil, they can actually offer him the league minimum to keep him unless he wins his arb case which I think would be tough for him. 

At league minimum, he's worth keeping around relative to what else we have.  A perfect 6th starter that can be in AAA until needed.  With his history of actually being good, it's not that much of a risk to keep him around over Barry Enright, Billy Buckner and a bunch of the other dumpster dive projects tooling around in the high minors. 

the halos have zero starting pitching in the minors.  He's worth keeping around while they have him under control.  Arb rules designate that if a player receives a raise of greater than 50% from the previous year then the 80% rule doesn't apply.  Since he went from 575k to 3.725mil, they can actually offer him the league minimum to keep him unless he wins his arb case which I think would be tough for him. 

At league minimum, he's worth keeping around relative to what else we have.  A perfect 6th starter that can be in AAA until needed.  With his history of actually being good, it's not that much of a risk to keep him around over Barry Enright, Billy Buckner and a bunch of the other dumpster dive projects tooling around in the high minors. 

But would the Angels really risk going to arbitration with Hansen in a situation where they are offering a $3 mill pay cut at the risk of a $4+ million payout for a AAAA pitcher if they lose? 

Good points Doc, but there is no way an arbitrator will cut his pay. So the question is whether or not he is worth 3-4 million to have as a backup starter. Perhaps he is, I really don't know. I think Jerome has been better and would be a better use of that 3-4 mil. And we don't need both guys. And if course, let's not forget Mr. Blanton.

But would the Angels really risk going to arbitration with Hansen in a situation where they are offering a $3 mill pay cut at the risk of a $4+ million payout for a AAAA pitcher if they lose? 

The worrisome thing with Hanson is that the decline has been pretty steady, from good to mediocre and then to where he is now, which is just bad....Atlanta obviously thought he wasn't likely to trend back up and they tend to be right on pitching evaluations...

I guess the one wild card is whether the Angels think the off field issues warrant hanging on to him for another year....if you think his stuff was playable this year and he might be mentally better next year, I guess it's worth a shot...

The worrisome thing with Hanson is that the decline has been pretty steady, from good to mediocre and then to where he is now, which is just bad....Atlanta obviously thought he wasn't likely to trend back up and they tend to be right on pitching evaluations...

I guess the one wild card is whether the Angels think the off field issues warrant hanging on to him for another year....if you think his stuff was playable this year and he might be mentally better next year, I guess it's worth a shot...

i don't really get Hanson. He's had great stuff, great success but the worry about him was injury and if he could stay healthy. He staid healthy for the most part this year but really contributed nothing.

And the above is why there would be a chance of him coming back. Semi Low Risk - High Reward. 

He actually looked like a man who was visibly mentally drained when he came back after his family issue. And may need more time to get back plus the rest could help any arm issues he could have been dealing with. 3-4M for a 5th guy with our farm system may not be a bad deal either.

Your choices 3-4 of Hanson or 7.5-8 of Blanton.... I'll take the Younger Version.

I think it will really come down to how confident DiPoto is in grabbing the right replacement arms as well as how much of a budget he's on. Last year I was quite concerned with our ability to completely overhaul the rotation, and while DiPoto was confident that he could do so for less money I think history has shown that it just isn't that simple.

The big issue that no one has talked about relates to our strategy of acquiring other teams players. It seems that it might say something about the player when their team is wiling to give them up. Most orgs seem to overvalue their own players, and studies have shown a significant decline for players switching teams. We seriously need to start questioning our ability to pick up quality players when its their own organizations who seem to have soured on them.